Sign in to follow this  
Locke

Grounded

Can someone tell me how a guy that gets straight A’s in every other class can get a fucking 44 F in Algebra 2 Honors? Well lucky for you, you don’t have to answer that because I already know how. My teacher is a stupid turtle bitch. My hatred for her burns with the power of a thousand suns. She can’t teach, she won’t answer questions in a manner I can understand, she won’t even give half credit for showing work, she’s balding, and most importantly, she’s a stupid turtle bitch. I’d tell her off, but I’m afraid she’s one of those snapping turtle bitches and she might bite my finger off or something.

We get report cards soon, and I’m probably gonna get grounded. Unfortunately, my parents are of the “Oh, never mind the all those A’s over there, you got an F in the most important subject ever invented ever in the history of anything ever being invented,” mindset. It’s going to suck ass when I have to show them. I’m not talking about just any kind of ass, either. I’m talking about the big, pimply, greasy, hairy kind that just might suck back.

The following is how I presume the event will take place:

Parents: We hear you got report cards today. Your genius brother made straight A plusses. Let’s see how much you pale in comparison.

Me: All right… *Hands over report card*

Parents: Ah yes, we see that you have met our bare minimum requirement of being beyond excellent at all… WHAT THE HELL IS THIS F DOING HERE!?!

Me: But look at all the A’s.

Parents: What A’s? We don’t see any A’s here. A single F negates all A’s ever earned in your enitre life. All we see is a stinky pile of utter disappointment. You say you want to be a video game designer when you grow up? Hah! You can’t make games if you don’t know math.

Me: I’m not that bad at it. Besides, I could be an artist or a writer…

Parents: We said don’t get smart with us. We know video games can’t have art and writing. Those little things are all bleeps and bloops. You can’t fool us.

Me: *Sigh* So I’m grounded?

Parents: You know you’re grounded. No more driving, no more computer, no more sunlight. And you’ll be living off these vitamins from now on because we’re denying you your sense of taste. You’re lucky we don’t just beat your head in until you become a vegetable. And say goodbye to all your friends, because we’re killing them. Then you can spend 8 hours in the Snake Pit and 8 more in the Chamber of Fire. And if you make a sound in there you get to visit the Chamber Pit of Flaming Snakes.

Me: But I can still play video games?

Parents: Of course not. We’re surgically grafting your thumbs to your palms.

All right… So my folks aren’t that bad… But damn it, I hate that stupid turtle bitch!

Anyone else ever get grounded over bad grades? What else have you been grounded for?

If you honestly feel that Miss Turtle Bitch really is terrible at her profession, why not talk to a counselor? Ask your fellow students if they feel the same way. Does she have a reputation of not doing good work in trying to educate her charges? Get proof. Teachers are no less subject to having the quality of their work evaluated than do other professionals like CEOs, nurse practitioners, and Starbucks barrristas. You have every right to complain to those in charge if you think you're not getting quality education. You have entrusted her to do her job, and she should keep her end of the bargain up.

I've had my own experiences with shitty teachers back in my schooling days. The worst were some of my public high school teachers. They acted as if all they wanted was their paycheck every two weeks, they didn't give a damn about making sure we students learn and learn well.

But I also had this one amazing English teacher in my senior year, Miss Withers, one of the most passionate teachers I ever had the privilege of being taught by. My GOD, not only did she teach us Engish, she introduced us to CULTURE. She even went out of her way to take us to our very first opera at the Lyric in downtown Chicago (one of the highest echelons of culture in the world), a matinee production of La Boheme. It was my first opera (certainly not my last). All her students got high grades, and I got nothing but straight A's in her class. I adored her. SHE is a teacher.

I've never been grounded all my life. Not that I'm such a goody two shoes (well ok, just on the light side of the force then) But more because my parents thought that grounding someone isn't helping. It's just a useless way to lock a kid inside and annoy the hell out of his parents :mock:

Add a verticle line down the right side of the F creating an (if slightly square) A

Me neither, my parents were all passive agressive with that stuff and actually wanted me to spend as much time outside as opposed to holed-up in my room. All I ever got was the, "you should know better!" and "So disappointed" stuff. worked awefully good too! damn subliminal parenting!

I was never grounded for anything. That form of punishment didn't work on me. My sister on the other hand is grounded all the time. That is because, try though I might, she never listens to my time-tested, case specific tips on parent-wrangling.

I got as far as Turtle Bitch, and stopped. Where the hell did that come from?

Oh, wait; I did skim your dialogue. I'd make it clear to your parents that if a single F erases all of your A's, then you don't have a reason to make A's, and from now on will focus on your F's instead.

Can someone tell me how a guy that gets straight A’s in every other class can get a fucking 44 F in Algebra 2 Honors? Well lucky for you, you don’t have to answer that because I already know how. My teacher is a stupid turtle bitch. My hatred for her burns with the power of a thousand suns. She can’t teach, she won’t answer questions in a manner I can understand, she won’t even give half credit for showing work, she’s balding, and most importantly, she’s a stupid turtle bitch. I’d tell her off, but I’m afraid she’s one of those snapping turtle bitches and she might bite my finger off or something.

We get report cards soon, and I’m probably gonna get grounded. Unfortunately, my parents are of the “Oh, never mind the all those A’s over there, you got an F in the most important subject ever invented ever in the history of anything ever being invented,” mindset. It’s going to suck ass when I have to show them. I’m not talking about just any kind of ass, either. I’m talking about the big, pimply, greasy, hairy kind that just might suck back.

The following is how I presume the event will take place:

Parents: We hear you got report cards today. Your genius brother made straight A plusses. Let’s see how much you pale in comparison.

Me: All right… *Hands over report card*

Parents: Ah yes, we see that you have met our bare minimum requirement of being beyond excellent at all… WHAT THE HELL IS THIS F DOING HERE!?!

Me: But look at all the A’s.

Parents: What A’s? We don’t see any A’s here. A single F negates all A’s ever earned in your enitre life. All we see is a stinky pile of utter disappointment. You say you want to be a video game designer when you grow up? Hah! You can’t make games if you don’t know math.

Me: I’m not that bad at it. Besides, I could be an artist or a writer…

Parents: We said don’t get smart with us. We know video games can’t have art and writing. Those little things are all bleeps and bloops. You can’t fool us.

Me: *Sigh* So I’m grounded?

Parents: You know you’re grounded. No more driving, no more computer, no more sunlight. And you’ll be living off these vitamins from now on because we’re denying you your sense of taste. You’re lucky we don’t just beat your head in until you become a vegetable. And say goodbye to all your friends, because we’re killing them. Then you can spend 8 hours in the Snake Pit and 8 more in the Chamber of Fire. And if you make a sound in there you get to visit the Chamber Pit of Flaming Snakes.

Me: But I can still play video games?

Parents: Of course not. We’re surgically grafting your thumbs to your palms.

All right… So my folks aren’t that bad… But damn it, I hate that stupid turtle bitch!

Anyone else ever get grounded over bad grades? What else have you been grounded for?

If you honestly feel that Miss Turtle Bitch really is terrible at her profession, why not talk to a counselor? Ask your fellow students if they feel the same way. Does she have a reputation of not doing good work in trying to educate her charges? Get proof. Teachers are no less subject to having the quality of their work evaluated than do other professionals like CEOs, nurse practitioners, and Starbucks barrristas.

Indeed, and don't feel bad if she gets fired (if she wanted to keep her job she should do her job). It's happened at my high school before, though through more subversive means because it's hard to fire teachers with tenure.

The counselors usually ignore whining kids but when they see someone with 6 A's and one F they take heed.

yeah same thing happened with a very kind lady who was giving a gametheory course at my university. she was treating everyone like it was kindergarten AND had no idea what the course was about! So we all gave her bad grades on the evaluation, the poor woman started crying and got fired... and now people actually learn something during that course!

One disgruntled student, even an honors student, may not make much of a difference, but many more could. Don't let your lack of authority stop you. It's possible to report a shitty teacher if more students (especially those who have good reputation and grades) AND their parents come forward and demand satisfaction.

I've mentioned her to the guidance counseler, but she went off on this whole thing about not blaming others for my own problems. It sounded like a rehearsed speech... Apparently, the turtle bitch has been teaching there for a very long time, so maybe it is that I just suck at math... But she could at least give half credit for showing all my work correctly. And check homework now and again, God damn it! Those two things are the reasons I managed to get C's in Algebra I. (I made A's in Geometry with no problem, though... Go figure.) And she has no excuse for being so mean and hateful.

I got as far as Turtle Bitch, and stopped. Where the hell did that come from?

That's what me and my friends call her. Why? She's a mean bitch and she looks like a turtle. It's quite simple really. She's also got a lot of bald spots, but "Stupid Balding Turtle Bitch" didn't have that nice ring to it.

Oh, wait; I did skim your dialogue. I'd make it clear to your parents that if a single F erases all of your A's, then you don't have a reason to make A's, and from now on will focus on your F's instead.

Hah, I could seriously consider that at the moment. ^_^ They aren't as bad as I made them out to be in the dialogue, though. It was my lame attempt at satire. So sorry if the humor was lost on you. Many gomen nasai's and sumi masen's to you, good sir. *Bows*

My GOD, not only did she teach us Engish, she introduced us to CULTURE. She even went out of her way to take us to our very first opera at the Lyric in downtown Chicago (one of the highest echelons of culture in the world), a matinee production of La Boheme

That's awesome! My English teacher only shows us old episodes of The Twilight Zone. He also likes to quote Pulp Fiction a lot. He even has questions about Tarantino movies on his tests sometimes. Most of the students are like, o_O. But I'm all like, :tup:.

My English teacher only shows us old episodes of The Twilight Zone.

that is awesome :mrt:

My eighth grade teacher, Mr Curry, was absolutely wonderful. He knew how to reach kids and encourage them. He left teaching the year after I had him and went to work at Northeastern University, in Admissions. When I got to be a senior, he came to one of our functions and asked me to apply. I didn't know they had a Nursing Program, since it was primarily an Engineering school, but it turned out they were just starting it. He accepted me on interview, and actually gave me a ride home that day. He also got me a scholarship for my entire freshman year.

He worked his way up the ladder there, and became acting President. Many of the profs protested this saying he wasn't qualified. There was quite an uproar over this and he was appointed President of the University anyway. By the time he left, 15 years later, as the only president of the University who graduated from Northeastern, he was acclaimed as the best President the school had ever had. He was an amazing man. I ran into him in a restaurant about 5 years ago, and hadn't seen him for close to thirty years and he greeted me by name!

He was the one who taught me to look inside myself for acceptance, and don't worry about what anyone else thought. He was perhaps my own personal hero.

FGM

My eighth grade teacher, Mr Curry, was absolutely wonderful. He knew how to reach kids and encourage them. He left teaching the year after I had him and went to work at Northeastern University, in Admissions. When I got to be a senior, he came to one of our functions and asked me to apply. I didn't know they had a Nursing Program, since it was primarily an Engineering school, but it turned out they were just starting it. He accepted me on interview, and actually gave me a ride home that day. He also got me a scholarship for my entire freshman year.

He worked his way up the ladder there, and became acting President. Many of the profs protested this saying he wasn't qualified. There was quite an uproar over this and he was appointed President of the University anyway. By the time he left, 15 years later, as the only president of the University who graduated from Northeastern, he was acclaimed as the best President the school had ever had. He was an amazing man. I ran into him in a restaurant about 5 years ago, and hadn't seen him for close to thirty years and he greeted me by name!

He was the one who taught me to look inside myself for acceptance, and don't worry about what anyone else thought. He was perhaps my own personal hero.

FGM

He was also very good in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I've mentioned her to the guidance counseler, but she went off on this whole thing about not blaming others for my own problems. It sounded like a rehearsed speech... Apparently, the turtle bitch has been teaching there for a very long time, so maybe it is that I just suck at math... But she could at least give half credit for showing all my work correctly. And check homework now and again, God damn it! Those two things are the reasons I managed to get C's in Algebra I. (I made A's in Geometry with no problem, though... Go figure.) And she has no excuse for being so mean and hateful.

Do YOU think you could do better in math? Do you WANT to get into it? There is a crucial link that determines the difference between being interested in any subject and wanting to get into it, and not at all giving a damn about it and not making any effort and just wanting a passing grade to get it off your back. That crucial link is the teacher. Even if you're ultimately not into math (or any given subject for that matter) it still does matter that you get something out of it that you can use later somehow. A good teacher will see to that. IMO, unless you have a severe learning disability (which you obviously do not) or something is vitally wrong in your life there is no way you could and should flunk any class.

Who knows how many bright students this Miss Turtle Bitch has flunked in the past because she truly is a shitty teacher. And who knows how many more.

That's what me and my friends call her. Why? She's a mean bitch and she looks like a turtle. It's quite simple really. She's also got a lot of bald spots, but "Stupid Balding Turtle Bitch" didn't have that nice ring to it.

Okay, frankly that's just being mean. You may be just a student, but if you keep an attitude like this it would be no surprise that people of authority (like a guidance counselor) don't take you seriously. You're a student, but you can definitely get people to notice you as far more than that if you made your point as clearly, professionally, and maturely as possible. You are an honour roll student, one of the brightest. You deserve to be taken seriously. Right?

Wow, at last a window into the mind of a straight A student.

Look, there are plenty of students who don't get as many A's as you, who work hard and yet don't treat average grades as the end of the world, because really your school grades will be beyond insignificant by the time you reach 20. So stop whining. I little straight talking with your parents is also good for you.

Hope it works out though.

I had a math teacher I hated when I was in high school. Ohhh, did I ever hate him. He hated me, too.

One reason is that he had taught my sister, who was a great student.

I on the other hand, was a terrible student (especially in math). That's the other reason. And the primary reason, regardless of what I may have thought at the time.

To make a long story short, I barely passed math in high school (I squeeked by somehow to pass the qualifying test), then went off to college where I majored in religion and therefore never had to take a single math class. I've gotten significantly better over the years at math, and even read some light physics and stuff like that, because I find it interesting (somewhere along the line I became a nerd). But I still dislike math in all forms.

The result of all of this? I am the world's worst programmer. I know a few languages (perl, php, etc.) and have managed to get a good amount of web projects done, but my code is hideous. Because I suck at math, I rely mostly on logic (which to me, is philosophy, which I'm good at). My code has been known to make real programmers violently ill.

One other side note: for my wedding, a bunch of my friends got together and made a movie that was shown during the reception. It featured my friends wishing me well and all of that, but they also tracked down my hated math teacher, and got him to appear on camera. Plus there's a very funny shot where they show the remains of the math department in the high school I went to. It was torn down for renovations...I outlived my high school math department, something I'm quite proud of.

What did the guy say on tape?

It was a scripted sketch in which he essentially made fun of our adversarial relationship. Followed at the end by wishing me well. I have the best friends in the world.

So stop whining.

Not whining... Just making conversation... Or so I thought o_O. And my parents care far more about my grades than I do. As long as I pass the class, ya know? Apathy roXors! (X capitalized for maximum impact!)

You are an honour roll student, one of the brightest.

Heh, you make me sound smarter than I actually am. ^_^ The only reason I get good grades is because I have a good memory. It seems to me, every other subject is just memorization. In Algebra however, even if I remember the formulas I just end up making some dumb little mistake along the way (I'm quite prone to that kind of thing) and it screws the whole thing up. >_<

And did you mention something about maturity to a teenager? Surely you jest! :grin::nuts::fart::grin: Gratuitous use of smilies is not the sign of maturity. It is the sign of a free spirit!!!!!11. :clap:

He was also very good in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I get it! Like Tim Curry!