Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

Kotor 2

I was just reading the rumor mill over at game spot, and I wondered if KOTOR 2 is worth the cash that it would cost to get. Theforce.net artical linked off of mojo makes it sound like the freaking apocalypse, so I wanted the opinions of people that don't post on the Star Wars forum. I was planning on buying it eventualy, 'cause the first one was cool, but if people are now saying it sucks, I'd like to know.

Has anyone played it? Is the latter half of the game really that bad? (I have a hard enough time wanting to finish games as it is.. I lose interest.)

It's early, and I'm tired.

You can be so damn anal sometimes kingz.

:period: :ponycrap: :shroom::teddy::wtf:

What can I do? There are certain spelling errors that are eye-pokers™. :nuts: (this smiley is aiming to poke his eye)

Sorry to break the train of thought here but I'll see if I can answer the question. *Ahem* Short answer: If I could go back in time to where I bought it, I probably wouldn't

The beginning is wrist slitingly blah, the main body is chocked full of awesomeness that LucasArts didn't give Obsidian the time to finish, and the ending... isn't there.

I don't think I've ever thought such a horrible string of obsenities than when I sat through the ending. Calling it an ending is too noble a term.

So, had they had more time, it would have been a damn near soil myself awesome game. But as it stands, I couldn't recommend it and still look at myself in the mirror.

So bloody aggrivating, irritating, disapointing.

Yeah, the ending sucks. But the actual game is really good. But if you're planning on getting the PC version you might wanna wait for the patch.

How many games can this be applied to? I'll pick the obvious one.

Sorry to break the train of thought here but I'll see if I can answer the question. *Ahem* Short answer: If I could go back in time to where I bought it, I probably wouldn't

The beginning is wrist slitingly blah, the main body is chocked full of awesomeness that Microsoft didn't give Bungie the time to finish, and the ending... isn't there.

I don't think I've ever thought such a horrible string of obsenities than when I sat through the ending. Calling it an ending is too noble a term.

So, had they had more time, it would have been a damn near soil myself awesome game. But as it stands, I couldn't recommend it and still look at myself in the mirror.

So bloody aggrivating, irritating, disapointing.

I've not played it, in fact I haven't got round to finishing the first one just yet. I will one day, but I lost interest at some point on Manaan.

Anyway, KOTOR II seems to me a good example of why people should finish games before they review them. I've seen a fair amount of criticism of its (lack of) ending from players since it came out, but none of the reviews I read a few months back even mentioned it. Obviously it's a long game, but a role-playing game is about the whole journey, and a satisfying story that wraps itself up well and rewards you for dozens of hours of playing time.

With a massive investment of hours, I don't want have a big anticlimax kick in the teeth at the end of it all. I'm kind of glad I haven't bought it yet, because the fan reaction since has made me have second thoughts. I will surely pick it up once it's budget-price though.

I was hoping someone would have chewed me out by now. Anyway, the ending wasn't what I expected but I'm not foaming at the mouth over it, and I didn't even think it was bad when I got to it. I thought it was just sort of an Empire ending, really. I haven't looked into the cut material, but I had just assumed they did that to facilitate another KOTOR game at some point. Anyway, The ending isn't near as bad as people are making it out to be, and it's clearly not as abrupt or disappointing an ending as Halo 2.

Hey, it's a very good game despite its blatantly rushed state. I had a great time with it. Quality-wise, however, the first KoTOR felt much more balanced and integrated on all levels, including story, subplots, and level design.

At least Halo2 is a deliberate and obvious cliffhanger ending. A little warning would have been appreciated though.
Deliberate, yes, but not well-engineered. I was not expecting to play the last level of the game as the Heretic...I mean Arbiter. At least in all the cutting that went on with KOTOR 2 they managed to have an ending that made sense.

I mean, it was easy to see that the end was near when you arrived at Malachor 5.

I dunno, I agree with the laggy beginning but I really enjoyed just about everything else in the game a lot.

I had a great time with the game. But all the stories, especially the subplots, felt disjointed compared to the first KoTOR. I played the first game 3 times in a row and explored all the planets in different order each time, and each time the plots felt solid and integrated. However, in KoTOR II, which I played only once so far, it seemed that some threads were missing or not connected properly. It felt as if there were a right order of planets you needed to go through for more cohesiveness and that I happened to not choose it. :erm:

i finished kotor 2 around a week ago and didn't regret the buy, because it's a good, long game. some parts of it are just 100 % awesome and much better than in kotor 1, but kotor 2 is full of bugs (sometimes back to desktop, questbugs, brrrrrr) and parts of the story are confusing because obviously the dialoges have been hastily sticked together.

good old ryam's prequel comparision: if kotor 1 and kotor 2 would be footballteams playing against each other, kotor 2 would have the better players, but kotor 1 would win the game, because of the better team.

Football is poetry? :erm:
Normal futball perhaps, American football not really.

I think we have a KotOR 2 review coming up, but I'll say a little bit now.

I enjoyed it a lot. The beginning was a bit slow and the game is hideously buggy, but when I got into the main game I realised something: KOTOR 2 has some of the best written characters I've ever seen in a game. I really wanted to know more about most of them. I enjoyed guiding the Handmaiden, treading carefully around Visas Marr while trying to convert her, and most of all trying to please Kreia while simultaneously trying to figure her out (note that most of the interesting characters are female... possibly a first for games). The ins-and-outs of the interpersonal politics almost reminded me of the later Dune books.

And then there is Darth Nihilus. The little hints about him during the game had me completely terrified when I came to meet him.

Unfortunately, it's almost exactly at that point that all the excellent character writing went out the window and the game was rushed to its conclusion. The reason why I think everyone hates the ending is not because it is bad, but because it smacks of so much wasted potential. If any game deserves a Director's Cut Edition, it is this.

Erm, one small thing I guess still bugs me: I think it might be because figured out a really nicely set-up character or something (after a couple of lemons), but I found the bosses to be much easier than I anticipated, especially Nihilus.

Football is poetry? :erm:

everything is poetry! :eyebrow:

Erm, one small thing I guess still bugs me: I think it might be because figured out a really nicely set-up character or something (after a couple of lemons), but I found the bosses to be much easier than I anticipated, especially Nihilus.

yeah - i thought so too. i also had no problem with nihilus & co... :deranged:

Yeah, me too. Maybe my RPG skills are just finely honed, but by that point in the game my character was so powerful that I cut down everything like a combine harvester through a field of pikmin. I was suprised when the most interesting boss battle turned out to be Darth Sion.