miffy495

Where's the DS love?

loonyboi, I can't describe how wrong I think you are. Nintendo have designed something new and original, so what if no one asked for it? I reckon the DS will do wonders for the future of gaming, everything else simply promises better graphics and more online stuff. Well whoop dee fucking doo! I'm so fucking bored of playing the same game with better graphics and a 3 at the end of the title. As for online stuff, I'll use my PC for that cheers.

It was said about the XBox2 that it will have the capability to download new maps etc for games and that this would be the future of gaming. WHAT!? Great future there then.

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with your comment about developers either. The DS simply gives developers a ton of new opertunities when thinking about game design and gameplay aspects.

Like JTF said, lots of genres will work well with the DS. RTS using the stylus to circle a unit and give them orders, Adventure games such using one screen for the inventory.

Christ what's wrong with you man? You really can't see the possabilities? You don't give two shits about fun and interesting gameplay? You just want what you've already got with better graphics and the chance to download a new level?

It's about time someone made any kind of effort to take things in a different direction.

The DS isn't a joke, you are. :finger:

Thats a load of bullshit. There are many genres that can benifit from first degree control. The touchpad acts similarly to a mouse, making all manner of genres that were pc specific work extremely well on the handheld, such as RTS, Point and Click Adventure, and FPS (I know, I know, FPS aren't only on PCs, just best). Plus, adding a "weird" control scheme is sure to attract the attention of creative developers who will for sure put it to use in creative ways.

RTS games, sure. But we'll see how well those actually sell on a Nintendo handheld system. I'm guessing not very well. The audience just isn't there.

As for attracting "the attention of creative developers who will for sure put it to use in creative ways" that's completely rediculous. See, here's the thing about video games...complete originality? It's rare. Very rare. And when it does exist, it's even rarer that it's necessitated by dramatic shifts in hardware design. Did Rez need a touch screen? Did Katamari Damacy? (Having said that, I think Katamari Damacy would be great on DS...but I also think it would be great on PSP, minus the touch screen).

Take a look at upcoming DS titles, and ask yourself where the "creative developers" are. We're seeing DS functionality shoehorned into games that don't need it. Plus the system's simply not powerful enough to do next-generation handheld games. At least not when compared to the PSP.

Like I said: the DS is perfectly suited to WarioWare. Everything else is a stretch. :oldman:

Christ what's wrong with you man? You really can't see the possabilities? You don't give two shits about fun and interesting gameplay? You just want what you've already got with better graphics and the chance to download a new level?

It's about time someone made any kind of effort to take things in a different direction.

Sigh.

Every now and then I have this argument with people. I had it when DDR first showed up, I had it when the EyeToy was released, and I'm sure i'll have it again when the Revolution comes out.

My prediction for the gaming industry: in 20 years, the primary input device for game consoles will be...

Ready...?

...the gamepad.

It'll have different buttons, I'm sure, but it'll still be a gamepad.

You can lie to yourself and pretend that we'll all be using voice recognition and motion sensing, or that we'll be using some kind of futuristic input device, but the fact of the matter is that the gamepad, in all its forms, works perfectly.

The biggest innovation in PC input devices over the last two decades was the mousewheel. Don't hold your breath for anything bigger than that in the next few years.

Sigh.

Every now and then I have this argument with people. I had it when DDR first showed up, I had it when the EyeToy was released, and I'm sure i'll have it again when the Revolution comes out.

My prediction for the gaming industry: in 20 years, the primary input device for game consoles will be...

Ready...?

...the gamepad.

You're absolutely right. It's the games I'm interested in though, the DS is encouraging developers to come up with something a little different. Anyway you look at it, that's a good thing.

Also I think you're missing the point that this is a handheld device. I think using the touch screen, mic and two screens will keep me massively entertained in the situations I'm going to be using the thing.

I can play the types of games that will be released on the PSP at home with a big tv screen. I can't do that with the types of games I hope to see on the DS, and I don't know if I'd even want to.

You're absolutely right. It's the games I'm interested in though, the DS is encouraging developers to come up with something a little different. Anyway you look at it, that's a good thing.

Is it really? Because I'm looking at the games, and I'm not seeing anything particularly original. I'm just seeing touchscreen stuff being added to existing games that really don't need it.

And that's the problem with the DS. Like I said: it's a platform nobody asked for. Nintendo decided to tell developers what they need to be creative instead of asking them. And while I don't doubt we'll see a few original games, the vast majority of them are going to be ho-hum at best.

Also I think you're missing the point that this is a handheld device. I think using the touch screen, mic and two screens will keep me massively entertained in the situations I'm going to be using the thing.

Okay, I can understand the argument for the other stuff (even if I don't agree), but the microphone? You can't be serious. Maybe on a home game, but certainly not on a portable system.

I can't wait until I'm sitting next to someone on a plane who's yelling into his DS. Oh yeah, that'll rock.

I can play the types of games that will be released on the PSP at home with a big tv screen. I can't do that with the types of games I hope to see on the DS, and I don't know if I'd even want to.

And you could play the same kinds of games on the GBA on the SNES, and the Game Boy classic on the NES. What's your point? Does that make Advance Wars somehow less awesome? A game like Infected does interesting things with the PSP hardware, using the WiFi to "infect" other players in multiplayer. That's kinda cool, but I don't think it's particularly necessary.

The "OMG THE PSP IS JUST A PORTABLE PS2" argument is perpetuated largely by people who have bought nintendo's DS line completely. I ain't one of them. Bring on the GBA2, which will most likely be a portable 3D machine, with games I would want to play at home or on the road.

Although I'm all for what the DS is doing, I think they went around it in a bizarre fashion. You seriously can't look at two screens at the same time, so, sadly, one screen could do the job just as well.

What they could have done was scrap the buttons completely, just a D-Pad and a screen. This way developers could either choose to make the game directly control with your finger, or the developer could basically invent a control scheme for their game, or do whatever they wanted. I think that would be interesting (and since I use on-screen mapping for PSone emulation on my PDA, I can attest that a touch screen button is as good as any other button...but when you start getting into fighting games and twitch shooters you might have big problems).

As it stands, you have one bottom screen that is incapable of displaying graphics of equal quality (they run on different processors) and it is too akwardly placed to serve as a secondary control pad. The design is flawed but I think the concept is excellent.

Is it really? Because I'm looking at the games, and I'm not seeing anything particularly original. I'm just seeing touchscreen stuff being added to existing games that really don't need it.

Yoshi Touch and Go!

Meteos

Metroid

SiN

Another Code, Electroplankton, Nintendogs and Caduceus definitely seem like titles that really couldn't have been made for another platform.

I never had a GBA or an SP, I don't have a Game Cube and I'm not that great a Nintendo fan.

I really do think the DS is a very good device and will be a good influence on the games industry.

All I'm getting from you is that you initially decided that you weren't going to like the DS and found some arguments to back your decision up.

All I'm getting from you is that you initially decided that you weren't going to like the DS and found some arguments to back your decision up.

Don't be silly.

My initial response to the DS, was skepticism because:

A) I dislike alternative interfaces in general

and

B) I want a second-generation GBA, not a gimmicky device

But that's beside the point. It's the games that define a system, not my personal feelings about the company behind it. The DS hasn't delivered the games, and I seriously doubt they will.

I'm sorry, but Nintendogs will not change the world. Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, but the DS additions add nothing to the experience.

You can pretend all you like that developers were just sitting around waiting for Nintendo to come along and hand them this incredibly innovative (if somewhat underpowered and clunky) piece of hardware, or you can accept the fact that Nintendo sprung this on an industry that didn't ask for it, and now developers are scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do with it.

Hardware sales for the DS have been great (which I attribute to people thinking it was going to be the next GBA). Software sales have not. The games just aren't there.

I really do think the DS is a very good device and will be a good influence on the games industry.

And I say more power to you. If the DS creates an entirely new market, or even just manages to do marginally well over the next few years, I'm not going to say that's a bad thing by any means.

More game sales == good.

More people buying games == good.

But that's beside the point. It's the games that define a system, not my personal feelings about the company behind it. The DS hasn't delivered the games, and I seriously doubt they will...

You can pretend all you like that developers were just sitting around waiting for Nintendo to come along and hand them this incredibly innovative (if somewhat underpowered and clunky) piece of hardware, or you can accept the fact that Nintendo sprung this on an industry that didn't ask for it, and now developers are scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do with it...

I agree, I'm trying to put across the point that I've never been a Nintendo fanboy. The DS hasn't delivered the games? You haven't really given it much time to though have you? I never expect any games device to deliver brilliant games in the month that it's released.

Again I don't disagree that this was just given to everyone that didn't ask for it and developers aren't completely sure what they can do with it. Maybe this is why it hasn't delivered the games YET.

But it might be the case that because devs don't know what exactly they can do with it, they'll try out some things and maybe discover that they can do great things with it. I reckon it will at least get people thinking a little harder than currently seems to be the case.

EDIT: The thing that winds me up the most about the whole debate is that it's not simply 'The DS isn't quite as good as the fanboys make out'. It seems that the DS is being put down as something that isn't very good at all.

EDIT EDIT: The DS is the Dreamcast of handelds and everyone knows the Dreamcast is awesome :mock:

What really pisses me off is to see that people still bash games and consoles like we did as little kids in the 80's...

When I was a teenager, I realized being anti-anything in the gaming world was the most retarded thing to do, becuase you ended up missing on great games in the end, although of course, that doesn't mean that some consoles or games DESERVE the bashing, like the Phantom...

loonyboi will keep hating the NDS no matter what we tell him, just forget it before we start flamming and trolling like the 10 years olds in the other gaming forums... :oldman:

Anyways, I've played Wario Ware Touched non-stop and have already beaten it and unlocked everythign except beating the hi-scores for each game, and...

-This game is way too addictive for it's own good... :mock:

-Playing too many "mic" games in a row is tiring for you lungs (talking works sometimes too)...

-Ashley's theme rules!

-Either I had made stylus skills or this game is easier than the previous Wario Ware game

-SNOT GIRL IS BACK!

(Runs off to play more Wario Ware) :gaming:

I also have Polarium, Project Rub, Mario 64 DS, and Pokémon Dash, I'll tell you about them later if you want (and if I can stop playing Wario Ware)

I skipped this whole thread but wooooo we have our first flamewar! (maybe?) And it's Nintendo related!

Anyway I have a DS in my hand right now and I couldn't be more pleased. Holy crap Metroid Prime: Hunters has fucking smooth controls. It feels almost as good as strafe+mouselook. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I guess it's presumptious to start reading eulogies a couple of months into a consoles lifecycle so we will just have to wait and see. I guess we can (or rather should) all agree on the fact that Nintendo did an incredible job putting this thing on the market after less than a year. And obviously there has never been any handheld device like it, so it's going to be interesting to see IF there is going to be a revolution or not. So far some great games have been delivered and I think there actually might be a good chance that the DS and the PSP can coexist along side each other!

I'm with Nick on this one.

DS offers something different and that's all that matters. If I want to play regular almost PS2 quality games on a widescreen, I'll do it in my living room on my PS2 and on my widescreen TV, in better quality and without having to buy a fucking memory stick for the pleasure.

I dont know about you guys, but after 20 odd years of gaming I'm increasingly becoming bored and jaded with the games that are out there as well as the endless stream of sequels, licenses and spin-offs we have to endure. We ought to be commending Nintendo for pursuing a direction which encourages developers to think differently and stops them from making lazy ports of existing console games.

Anyone up for a game of Band Brothers then?

I have my DS now too and I'm also loving it. I've been so busy playing Wario Ware and Project Rub though that I completely forgot about the Metroid demo. I'll give it a go in a bit though, I'll claim I'm having a screen break :shifty:

I can't believe this! I just won a Nintendo DS on a radio station here on Iceland.

This rocks. I'm just waiting for it to charge up, and then I'll boot up First Hunt. Too bad I don't have anything besides First Hunt and my old Golden Sun from before my GBA got snatched.

DS offers something different and that's all that matters.

Generally speaking no, that's not the case.

If you want something that's original for originality's sake, knock yourself out. I'll take great games over gimmicks any day of the week.

Nintendo's committed to the DS, and I don't doubt that there will be interesting games on the platform. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Project Rub and Nintendogs are going to be Game of the Year material.

Generally speaking no, that's not the case.

If you want something that's original for originality's sake, knock yourself out. I'll take great games over gimmicks any day of the week.

Nintendo's committed to the DS, and I don't doubt that there will be interesting games on the platform. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Project Rub and Nintendogs are going to be Game of the Year material.

hmm I'm sensing a that there's to this story than 'just' a dislike for the ds....

Did the ds take your girlfriend... or what is the real story here?

hmm I'm sensing a that there's to this story than 'just' a dislike for the ds....

Did the ds take your girlfriend... or what is the real story here?

Yes, the DS stole my girlfriend.

Thank god I have a wife to fall back on. ;)

There's no story here. I just think the DS was missold to a lot of people as a next-gen GBA. I think if you look at sales numbers for hardware vs. software you'll see what I mean.

I also always roll my eyes when people try and make the case that alternative interfaces are somehow the way of the future. They're not. They have their place, but it's small. Don't ever think cameras or microphones will replace the gamepad.

I was wondering if any of you guys with a ds could tell me if it is possible to play using the touchpad while holding the unit in both hands? I understand that the thumb-thingie can be used for this - but is it smooth to have your thumb all the way in the middleof the ds...? in the commercials they are holding it in one hand using the stylus with the other which seems a tad stupid for most uses I can think of?

There's no story here. I just think the DS was missold to a lot of people as a next-gen GBA. I think if you look at sales numbers for hardware vs. software you'll see what I mean.

I also always roll my eyes when people try and make the case that alternative interfaces are somehow the way of the future. They're not. They have their place, but it's small. Don't ever think cameras or microphones will replace the gamepad.

I think you underestimate people in general. Alot of people probably bought a DS because they thought it was a next gen GBA but I think alot of gamers bought a DS because they like it for what it is.

Also if you think I'm saying the touchpad, mic and 2 screens is the way of the future then you're just not listening to me. The DS will most likely be a one off. Well done Nintendo for doing it before anyone else. I'm saying that the DS features might get people thinking 'what can we do to games or consoles to make them different?' and hopefully that will lead to something a bit more interesting in the future. Like I DS games will be (I hope).

Sorry if I keep going on but I get bored often and I do so enjoy a good rant ;)