Emma

Tell Us About Yourself

Okay, someone please get the cattle prod.

Oy!!

I hope you're not intending to use that on me??

Its not my fault if you guys follow me to other forums :fart:

Hi all.

The names Chris, I have a compulsive eating dissorder, and i'm new here.

I first visited this site when it was just setting up.

I saw a link for over at Mixnmojo and decided to click on it.

I remember there was an article about a goose and none of the links under the logo worked. Actually they still dont work.

I have been reading the site since then.

And now i'm joining the forum.

CUZ I CAN SUMMON MR T WITH TEH CLICK OF DA MOUSE: :mrt: OMFG IDLETHUMBS ROCKS TEH BIG ONE111

Sorry about that, I have no idea what happened. But it wont happen again.

I remember there was an article about a goose and none of the links under the logo worked. Actually they still dont work.

They're supposed to work?! I thought it was for decoration.

Also, I neglect the Idle Banter a lot, so I just found this post.

My real name is Edmundo but perhaps some you may have known that by now. I was born and raised in Venezuela but then I moved to the United States in 1997. Remember that wonderful year? Everyone was getting the Internet, and there was a sequel to Monkey Island coming out. I was pretty excited about both things, and since I noticed everyone on the web had nicknames I made a silly combination. I still use the name for legacy, just so that people recognize me that I'm the netmonkey from #monkey-island.

I'm graduating this year with a Computer Science degree, and I like a lot of things that display pretty pictures, but most of all I like making games. Currently, I like making point+click games on the pc because I think the mouse is the nicest way to express 2D graphics. I want to make games but apparently you need to graduate with 5 years of experience in 3d programming to do it. Bulllsheeeit.

I discovered the thumbs through Mixnmojo and since I really didn't care much about LucasArts after I learned that what I liked from them was what the former employees did and not their brand name, I started reading the site. And now I post on the forums like mad.

I'm pretty excited, tomorrow I'll be standing on Clickburg, the first Dutch webcomic convention, with my Captain August crew. It's gonna rule. Maybe hundreds of people will see my August animation. I'm dead excited, nervous and hyped up about it. Yeah!

They're supposed to work?! I thought it was for decoration.

They, uh, they're just there to tell you what we cover. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Hello, I am known as James and I live in Brisbane, Australia. I am 21 and have just begun my PhD in Neuroscience, I completed a bachelor of science (with honours) in human anatomy and physiology last year. I am a noob to forums and have rarely posted but I read quite a lot.

I found this site through Chris' violence in video games post (when it was an old post though). I am an FPS fan by nature (also rpg's) as build orders bore me and my attention span is too short for a RTS's. I listen to a lot of music (predominantly metal) and enjoy recreational drugs of various descriptions.

The only reason I don't play more vid games is due to my POS computer that struggles to display a desktop these days (ok, i exaggerate a little).

anyhow, sure i have bored you all enough

I just have some problems with the image. It appears blown up on my tv so there's incredible pixelation going on and I'm not seeing the whole picture. I can't for the life of me get why it's happening, I've never had it before and my dvd-player is region-free. I need Obi-wan Kenobi to help me.

I've never used a real dvd player before, but on my xbox you can zoom in. Is it possible that you just accidentally zoomed in? I don't know if it's right, but it would explain pixelation and the image running off the screen.

No I haven't. I'm returning to the store tomorrow. I can't imagine this gross disturbance being the 'small interlacing problems' of which IGN spoke in their review of the DVD's.

Well how about that. In an hour I'm leaving for Germany to stay on a camping there for a two-month first part of my internship at Bad Brain! =) Exciting, but this week I won't be able to go onto the internet anymore because of it. Long story. So this is a temporary goodbye to you all, see you again shortly. I'm glad the E3-rush is over now, so I can look forward to abslutely nothing having changed on Idle Thumbs in a week from now. Phew!

Hello all,

I've been a big fan of Idle Thumbs for a few months now. I haven't done a survey but it seems like the best writing about games that's out there. Everything I used to read seems to have either gone out of business or completely soulless and corporate. It's refreshing to see the enthusiasm, intelligence and wit of the Thumb staff. I hope this site flourishes.

In real life I'm a journalist -- the regular kind, who covers city council meetings and the occasional homicide. I'm originally from San Francisco but now live in a small town near Washington D.C. where I can write about all the oddities of American suburban life.

Wow, Catullus, thanks for the sweet words!! And coming from a real journalist (that is, a reporter, someone who has much experience), that's very warming.

Welcome to the Thumb!! :tup:

As for other gaming sites, I kinda agree. One of my favourites of yore was Salon.com with James Wagner Au. He has an excellent take on his games writing, going beyond the subculture of the hardcores and into its being a true cultural force in the 21st century. I love that. I also love The Adrenaline Vault, particularly the reviews of Bob Mandel and Josh Horowitz, but really the whole bunch of them. I like the more composed maturity of AVault.

Hello all,

I've been a big fan of Idle Thumbs for a few months now. I haven't done a survey but it seems like the best writing about games that's out there. Everything I used to read seems to have either gone out of business or completely soulless and corporate. It's refreshing to see the enthusiasm, intelligence and wit of the Thumb staff. I hope this site flourishes.

In real life I'm a journalist -- the regular kind, who covers city council meetings and the occasional homicide. I'm originally from San Francisco but now live in a small town near Washington D.C. where I can write about all the oddities of American suburban life.

I used to live in Gaithersburg. I could actually claim to live in DC and not be lying too much cause, shit, the last station of the red line was there! I went to Frederick once to take some SAT test or something. The place looked kinda deserted. I never had to go back or had a desire to.

I'm also a lapsed fan of the Adrenaline Vault, and I like them for all the same reasons. When I was in college I used to read a guy named Bruce Geryk on GamesDomain (back when GD had some pretty good writing). I don't know if he still writes about games, but he was great.

In general, though, games journalism seems to chew up writers in their 20s and spit them out in their 30s. Seeing that phenomenon has been one of the things that has discouraged me from working as a games writer. But the mainstream media is slowly waking up--we now have one writer who covers the industry full-time, and another who reviews them.

Kingzjester: How appropriate that you used to come from the D.C. area -- it was you, or at least I think so, who brought me here, when I saw your sig in a post from the DoW forums.

Frederick hasn't changed too much, but I find there's enough to keep me busy.

Kingzjester: How appropriate that you used to come from the D.C. area -- it was you, or at least I think so, who brought me here, when I saw your sig in a post from the DoW forums.

Frederick hasn't changed too much, but I find there's enough to keep me busy.

DoW?