Emma

Tell Us About Yourself

Knightmare was AWESOME. And I loved the space-shooter Xanax to death. I should download an emulator or something, because it'd be the ultimate nostalgia trip. And the ultimate cold turkey, to see how all those wonderful games turn out to be unplayable pieces of crappy coding in reality.

Actually, they're not. I downloaded some sort of emulated version of Knightmare 2 for Windows, and it's still pretty awesome, along with being the ultimate nostalgia trip. Also, I realised how fucking huge the game really is, consisting of one castle map and ten smaller level maps. I think I never got past the first two levels or something. Being four or five years old, I'm not sure I knew what I was doing. But at least I knew that I had fun!

Same here. I don't think I even got past the first map. Hell, I''m not even sure if I'm thinking of the right game! All I know is that MSX has some good memories for me :clap:

My first games? Dizzy, Jetset Willy and... ah, that game where you're the kid that has to find some crazy crap around your insanely large and dangerous house before your mom let's you go to bed, or something like that.

Jetset Willy was awesome.

I think 'that game' may have been Pyjamarama, starring Wally Weak. He was dreaming, and at the end you got woken up by your alarm clock after finding all the right bits and bobs. You got attacked by books flying off from the shelves and whatnot. My parents and I sat around the new CPC set up on the coffee table and kind of played it as a family for a bit. One of my earliest ever memories. My dad still says 'Wally Weak' sometimes.

Also, Pappa, I totally agree. Ok, some old games just wouldn't be fun anymore, but now with emulators and cheats and instant saves, it's finally possible to really appreciate just how unfeasibly massive some of those old games were. Jet set willy was a prime example. I have an extremely vague memory of seeing the full map in a magazine once as a kid, and there must have been hundreds of unique rooms. I guarantee that back in the day, I never saw more than about 20 of them with the default 4 lives or so. Remember the giant foot squashing you on the game over screen, straight out of Monty Python?

Hi, my name is Michael and I'm a Spanish gamer/fanboy, I found this site through Adventure Gamers and thought I'd join, I like to play old and new games, but I'm a bit of a retro mood lately...

I've been lots of consoles and computers....

I've had a Vic 20 and a C64, and I still have my Amstrad CPC 646, my Amiga 500 (which won't work :frusty: ), a NES, SNES, DC, N64, PSX (X2), Game Boy, GBC (X2), GBA, GC, PS2, Xbox, Pokémon Mini, GP 32, and of course a PC!

:gaming:

I'm also a mad DVD and game collector...

I also love B-movies (there is nothing better than a bad horror movie), webcomics (I read WAY too many of these)....

I also have a weird taste in music, I'd rather listen to SID tunes and music from old games/toons than anything else, oh and They Might Be Giants...

I also tend to have a wierd taste in games and I tend to rant a little..:yawn:

I also tend to putt too much time and thought into introduction threads, so I'll just shut up now...

BTW...

:dopefish: <-Teh best smiley 3v4! Swim, swim, hungry!

Hi, my name is Michael and I'm a Spanish gamer/fanboy

spanish? yyyeeehaaaa spanish gamers rule! :clap: i remember all those worms world party and worms 2 matches i played with spanish gamers over the internet! this was totally awesome! because i found out that all spanish gamers are cool! soooo...hi there and si! he dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti! :naughty:

and before you assume that i can speak spanish (like all the other spanish worms-players did): these are the only spanish words i know... ;)

soooo...i wish you a nice (a jajajajaja!-worms time) time here! :gaming:

Hi Michael! Another familiar face :)

Hiya "Flux", I'm so used to your other nick... Now I'm gonna keep getting them confused.... :mock:

spanish? yyyeeehaaaa spanish gamers rule! :clap: i remember all those worms world party and worms 2 matches i played with spanish gamers over the internet! this was totally awesome! because i found out that all spanish gamers are cool! soooo...hi there and si! he dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti! :naughty:

and before you assume that i can speak spanish (like all the other spanish worms-players did): these are the only spanish words i know... ;)

soooo...i wish you a nice (a jajajajaja!-worms time) time here! :gaming:

There are other games apart from Worms World Party and Worms 2.... :shifty:

There's Worms Armageddon, Worms Blast and Worms 3D too! :naughty:

That reminds me, I think Rodi/Flux isn't the only familiar face with a different nick... Unfortunately, I can't put my finger on whom... :hmph:

There are other games apart from Worms World Party and Worms 2.... :shifty:

There's Worms Armageddon, Worms Blast and Worms 3D too! :naughty:

look! look! another example why spanish gamers are awesome! :naughty:

and because of the fact that you're awesome i'll conive that you forgot worms 1 + expansion pack (okay you can't play it over the internet, but...kasdjf) and worms forts. :innocent:

I'm deadworm. I have problems and a new PC. I'm playing "Beyond Good & Evil" Demo. Trep & me have a platonic relationship.

Hi, my name is Kingzjester. I once killed some people in my anger management class. It doesn't much matter, however, as they were all wankers anyway.

Speaking of killing, wouldn't it be interesting if we could establish some sort of number as to how many things we killed in our gaming histories. Does anyone have a statistic as to how many things one has to kill on average to pass a game such as Half-Life or Warcraft or Morrowind? Does that mouse I drowned in a soup in MI count?

look! look! another example why spanish gamers are awesome! :naughty:

and because of the fact that you're awesome i'll conive that you forgot worms 1 + expansion pack (okay you can't play it over the internet, but...kasdjf) and worms forts. :innocent:

Well, I just assumed everybody knew Worms 1 + Reinforcements, it's Basic Gaming 101.... And the Worms 3D Forts: Under Siege isn't in my country yet... As a matter of fact, I think it's not out yet anywhere! :mock:

Hi, my name is Kingzjester. I once killed some people in my anger management class. It doesn't much matter, however, as they were all wankers anyway.

Speaking of killing, wouldn't it be interesting if we could establish some sort of number as to how many things we killed in our gaming histories. Does anyone have a statistic as to how many things one has to kill on average to pass a game such as Half-Life or Warcraft or Morrowind? Does that mouse I drowned in a soup in MI count?

Hi, Kingz, Trep and deadworm222, good to see even more familiar faces! Who are these guys? :mock:

You've probably killed more "baddies" (and some "goodies") than the entire population of China! :sombrero:

Hmm, do the undead count?

I came here from the Adventure Gamers forums.....been posting there a couple of months. I was going to do what this thread was originally intended to do, but I've come to the conclusion that you are all certifiably insane, and perhaps it'd be in my best interests to not reveal any personal information for reasons of safety.

On the other hand, most of you live either in an entirely different country or somewhere pretty far away from me in the US. So what the hell.........I'm Edward, I'm 21, and I'm a junior at the University of North Carolina. History major.

I was shocked to find out that Kingz was born in 1983. I was born in 1985, which makes me only a little bit younger than him.

Why I was shocked... I'll leave that for YOU to figure out.

Hello, fellow thumbs! My name is Jan Bosman (pronounced :yawn:). You might remember me from your childhood as the friend who never wanted to go outside, and always wanted to play video games - yet back then, sucked considerably at everything I played. Though it took me years to discover that I'd been doing what I dreamed of all along (video games), while at the same time trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, here I am. I'm 19 years old, and headed for a degree in Game Design starting this Spring.

Currently, I run a fan-site for Middle-Earth Online at Warcry.com - but that's just for the experience in 'journalism' and online gaming communities. FYI, I was not among those who went to E3 this year, and I fully condone the following, so don't beat me up:

May 20, 2004

:tup: Our E3 "reporters" are alive and kicking...

:tmeh: ...they are kicking some dude from Warcry.com

:tdown: It takes AGES to die.

I've been coming to idlethumbs for quite some time, and very much enjoy the editorials and other writing, and am considering offering my soivices as a writer. The articles such as "I kill you.", and well most everything else, including pieces such as Ernest Adams' Philosophical Roots of Computer Game Design (from the GDC) - all of it holds with my beliefs and values, and all of my intentions with getting into the industry (which I may get into later).

It's just nice to see a little bastion of such ideals as these, which I too share. Cheers!

Did The Tale of Warcry and the Thumbs press releases ever actually get put up on the site, or did we burn out on E3 content before that happened?

Well from what I'm told, the quote in my signature used to be in your Thumb quote archive. I don't think it's entirely too late. A sort of 'he said/she said' article could be whipped up and run on both sites and get Thumbs some good publicity.

However, that would require Warcry.com to be online more than it has been in the last 3 days or so. Stupid Lineage II nuts overloading everything. It's always their fault.

Now you begin to understand why I am 'cantankerous'. :frusty:

There's a bit more to it than the QOTM.

When you register as media/press for E3 you get added to a massive E3 press release emailing list. The thing is, you can't see it. Everyone is supposed to BCC the people on the list when they send out press releases to E3 attendees... except one idiot messed up, and made all the contacts visible. We decided to take advantage of this and hijack the list of names to send out a press release announcing the existence of Thumb.

While in the media room, Evan of Adventure Gamers overheard some guys talking shit about a mysterious site. "Gourmet cooking recipes? Who the fuck do these guys think they are" or whatever. Recognizing the "gourmet cooking" bit he listened in further and discovered that they were from WarCry, that they'd just received our press release on the press list, and that they thought it was shit.

Fortunately, randomly, that night, in the elevator at our hotel, a guy asked me if I was staff on WarCry. Why the hell did he want to know that? Because they were staying on this floor apparently. He then told me which room number they were staying in.

I politely thanked him, and returned to the Thumb room and told people what was up. We collectively decided that the only thing to do would be to stuff a good 20 copies of the Thumb press release under their door, along with a business card with our room number. Once we came up with the plan, everyone was too wussie to actually do it except Chris, who did it.

After ten minutes of giddily sitting in our room, a note came sliding under our door. It was our own press release, poorly and rudely edited in red pen by the WarCry guys. Please. If I'm not mistaken we bitched at their editing calls and sent it back, along with an invitation to come over for some pizza. They showed up along with a guy from Gamers Hell, who we all liked more than the WarCry bastards :)

Eventually they left and we went back to playing adventure games on the TV and pretending to write articles.

The end.

There are photos of all the events above somewhere, but I don't know where.

Oh, how I wish I'd attended. I have my ID badge and everything, and had to cancel last minute because it was basically either E3 or my relationship with my other half, and I stayed back because I'm both smart and yet whipped. But I would have had a lot of fun with that situation. :D