Emma

Tell Us About Yourself

Reverso-challenge response!

English to German! Go!

They were erected in a purvious century, as a hen fine coops and, if you know your Bristol and have trudged the trolly ways and elventurns of that old cobbold city, you will sortofficially scribble a mental Peny-Knox-Gore.

Perhaps you know not wot of you deal!

Sie wurden in einem stürmischen Jahrhundert als feinste Hühnerställe wiederbelebt; Falls Ihnen Bristolkartons bekannt seien und Sie durch die Wege der Trolle gen deren Heimatstadt getrottet sind, werdet ihr eine mentale Botschaft niederkritzeln können.

is this something irish? just because it's so insane and inscrutable...

and don't even dare to say something against this "translation". it's brilliant for what i understood.

and now translate this:

Waun ich auf d'Nocht beim Wein sitz

Mich systematisch einspritz

Daun is des zwoar ned gsund

Doch ich hob meinen Grund

Mei Frau is schirch zum Fiachtn

I pocks ned bei da Liachtn

Doch kumm i augstraht zhaus

Mocht mir des goanix aus

this is the first verse of "fett wie ein radierer" (in english: drunken as an etcher) sang by the austrian heroes wolfgang ambros and rainhard fendrich.

I think he's typing phonetically with a cork accent...

You know, I always thought Cork was on the Discworld... silly me...

I always thought it was on a bottle. :hah:

--Erwin

I think he's typing phonetically with a cork accent...
Oh, how I wish! He's a Joycophile! The worst kind of literary monster imaginable! He confuses the minds of wary travellers with untranslatable babble and enjoys it! I am highly tempted to call you out and invoke the power of the Dead Russians over your dead Irish horde. Nabokov will kick Joyce's ass anytime, even on St. Patrick's day and Bloomsday!

You know, to mind comes what I wrote in Yufster's Friendster profile way back when I didn't know anything about you but that you were from Ireland... and that I shouldn't ask you about your acrobatic uncle.... wait a moment... is the acrobatic uncle the same uncle that committed suicide 'cause no one liked him? Did he by any chance jump off a bridge into the Shannon or Liffey or something?

Never ask this woman about her

acrobatic uncle! NEVER! I made that

mistake once and, boy, do I regret it!

I also chose the 'perfect' goddamned

timing. It was after a nice date and a

nice, calm afternoon of reading

Finnegans Wake in the comfort of her

comforter, when she - seemingly out of

the Bloom - threw me out into the

chilly winter Dublin... naked...

through the window.... Uncomfortably

frostbitten I ran across to my friend's

house - thank Tim it was only 14 blocks

away - where I lay supine with hot

towels over my general yarble area for

a day and a half. She refused to speak

with me for a whole year following, she

is still somewhat iffy about it.

Indeed, she was so upset that she

slaughtered my favourite hamster... in

a blender... with a hint of lemon

zest... poor Mr. Deadalus, may he rest

in peaces....

That's some funny shit.

Yeah, I especially like Igor (the second one on the right)

Speaking of smileys:

OH MY GOD! --> :mrt:

--Erwin

I'm happy to make my fashionably late entrance on the most excellent Idle Thumbs fora. I hail from Adventuregamers where I am known under the term "Flux". However since "Rodi" is more intricately connected to me, I choose to be known here as such.

My real name is Roderick Leermakers. I consider myself a hardcore gamer, which some may find strange considering the small amount of gaming I do. Yet, my mind is always with gaming and other such enjoyable pieces of pop culture. While I love all games, my two platforms of gaming are the PC and the Gamecube. The latter entered my life only last year, but I consider myself knowledgable of Nintendo already. And as always, as soon as I grow fond of things, I no longer deem it enough to just experience it like normal humans do. I have to *do* something with it. Combined with my craving for publicity, this resulted in many freelance reviewing jobs. I wrote a few years for the ill-conceived underground Dutch gamingmagazine "RealGamer", write and create cartoons for the excellent Dutch Nintendo-magazine [N]Gamer, and write for the equally-excellent Dutch manga/anime/Japanese culture-magazine Aniway. Even though the job with the [N]Gamer finally upgraded me to actually getting paid a bit for my efforts, I mostly do it for the publicity, the fun and acknowledgment from the masses that I am a :cens0r:authority on all things I write about!

There you have it.

I wrote a few years for the ill-conceived underground Dutch gamingmagazine "RealGamer"
Wait, you're kidding right? So did I! :crazy: What did you write for the mag?

Marek, you're kidding. We already discussed it a few times in the past... About the time that crazed Jeroen van Geel summoned you to start some website and you thought him a loony. About what I did at RealGamer: well apart from the occasional review (I got myself some nice free games because of that. Alright, one of them was Army Men, but I also got Desperado: Wanted Dead or Alive, which was unfortunately never published because the mag asphyxiated before that one was published) I usually did the crappy work; skimming off websites to write the news-pages. But even though it was slave-labour, I did love to do it and I got some nice experience.

Hah, we do go back a long way, don't we Marek? I remember emailing you when you wrote in an Adventuregamer (no 's' back then!) Newsletter that you graduated from high school at the same time I graduated. But where you went to the HKU immediately (I assume), I first leveled up at multimedia design in Eindhoven before going to the HKU.

And now we meet at the Thumb. So it continues...

Oh man, in that case I totally forgot. Sometimes my memory is a real ... umm, zeef. Especially when it comes to the very early days at AdventureGamer.com and the sidejobs I took back then.

I wonder if Jeroen van Geel made money with RealGamer. [Edit: Apparently not.]

It sucks that you dropped by at the HKU when we were just in the middle of a really strong argument on the game's design. Provided I don't fail my exam on tuesday, I should be exhibiting my current project at the upcoming EMMA expo in the main hall. It's an adventure game.

Yes, that was some pretty awkward timing there. And because you were always locked away in that ultra-scary abandoned hallway I never really found the right time or nerve to hop in again. I probably made the impression of being a socially inept moron :grin:

Gosh I don't even know when school will start anew for me, I've yet to receive the planning. It should be somewhere begin september, but I estimate you'll be long gone by then.

I'd really like to write for Idle Thumbs, except that I'm already so busy with the magazines, school and my upcoming highly secret and most excellent webcomic. Maybe later :naughty:

[edit]: and I duly believe that Jeroen van Geel is swimming in his own Scrooge McDuck moneyvault by now. Either that or he's still trying to get people for that website of his ^_~

By the way, I like "Dagobert Duck" SO much better than "Scrooge McDuck". Notwithstanding the fact that the whole Duck-family is without a doubt the best thing Disney ever conjured up, postmodernism just isn't something they should practice in their namegiving. Besides that it's great stuff of course.

Hi all. I'm 26 yrs old, 3/8ths Japanese, and the rest English. My real name's Edd. Well, it's actually short for Edward, which only has 1 'd' I know, but I decided at the age of around 4 that 3 letters would be a far better length for a nickname than 2, this is either because 2 letters just looks plain silly, or because games back then always asked for 3 letter names in the high scores tables. My memory fails me, but much kudos to my younger self if it was honestly for the latter reason. Born and raised in a tiny hamlet, I believe the first game I played was most probably 'Artillery', an ancient tanks/Worms precursor on the green screen Commodore Pet (see this random site) back when I was a couple of years old. This was followed by some ancient catridge based Atari console with 2 controllers on coiled telephone wires, buttons 1-9 like a keypad, and a rotating wheel on the controller. God, what was that called? An Amstrad CPC 664 and (my dad's) 5 PC's later, I find myself always referring to 'computer games' rather than 'video games', though I have my own PC by now of course, a silver PS2, and a trusty DC.

Due to a combination of being an only child, having no friends within walking distance, and spending considerably more time watching games that playing them myself due to my dad spending most of the evenings occupying the currently set up platform (seriously), I developed a love for games that I could think about and imagine playing for hours on end, and have remained a primarily private, solitary gamer who tends to obssess about deep, soul eating games that never end.

Studied AI at Sussex uni, learnt a spot of Kung Fu, backpacked around Oz for a year, and have worked at Babel Media since 2001 doing about 10 different jobs, where I met a few of the fine people who write for/run this site :worship: I tend to remain silent for long periods, then get carried away writing essays. Hmmm, I think I'll stop now... :mock:

Wait you mean as in ed, edd and eddy? That is such a damn cool show :)

:rolleyes: Perhaps I should also add that although we have a nice big widescreen TV in the living room, my housemate and I have never once considered attaching an arial to the back of it. I think I may once have caught a minute of that show somewhere, but aren't they all retarded halfwits or something?

On a related note, the earliest Edd I can remember was 'Edd the Duck' from the broom cupboard on Children's TV. Not that I like being reminded of him. In fact, I always found it more respectful when people compared me to Mr Ed, the talking horse, despite him only having 1 'd'. Still, I had the pleasure of being the only Edd I knew until a few years ago, though now it seems to be quite a popular way of shortening the various Edward/Edmund/Edgars/etc out there :hmph:

Wow, Chris and OftenK, those are also some truly ancient and sexy beasts indeed! The first PC I was ever allowed to play on whenever I wanted to was a Compaq, PC-compatible 80286 at 6MHz. The funniest thing though was that it was a 'portable'. By which I mean forget laptops, you carried this fat bastard around like a suitcase!! Not that I would have been able to carry it very far at that age. My dad found a spare EGA monitor at work and brought it home for me so I didn't have to use the 6" green screen. I think rogue and Ultima V were the games I mostly played :yep:

Also, thanks for the hello :)

Wow, I can't even remember hearing about an MSX. Then again, I expect there are still plenty more old types of computer that I never even saw in real life. I think it's a shame that the great variety of different kinds of computer has disappeared over the last 15 years, such that 90% of all computers being used nowadays are either PCs or macs. We had X-terminals at uni, and maybe a couple of older ones that looked like Tandy's, but they're the only other types I've seen for ages now.

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread for a little while there. Time for some more people to introduce themselves. Come on now, don't be shy (or lazy)...

I would like to tell you all before you all return to the topic, that I owned and loved my very own Spectrum ZX WAYYY before you guys even knew how to talk. Pretty much. Probably.

Anyway, Spectrums! Don't know what you called those things in America. But they were very awesome. My first games? Dizzy, Jetset Willy and... ah, that game where you're the kid that has to find some crazy crap around your insanely large and dangerous house before your mom let's you go to bed, or something like that.

Jetset Willy was awesome.

Pity there isn't a photo: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=90. I'd love to have seen my first gamingmachine again. Nostalgia... kicking in...! :\

Yeah! I'm quite sure that was my first gaming platform as well. I'm not actually sure, I can't really remember the machine/computer/platform itself, being a bit too young at the time perhaps, but I damn sure remember the first game I loved and played to death - the completely awesome Knightmare 2: The Maze of Galious - and that was apparently released for MSX, so I guess that's what we had...

Knightmare was AWESOME. And I loved the space-shooter Xanax to death. I should download an emulator or something, because it'd be the ultimate nostalgia trip. And the ultimate cold turkey, to see how all those wonderful games turn out to be unplayable pieces of crappy coding in reality.