Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Another Question for Americans

Do you realize your cars are shit?

The only thing they're good for is making screeching sounds and flipping over in car chases.

Considering the number of people I know my age who have an American brand car (maybe one?), I suspect that most Americans on our forums know this, or at least prefer foreign cars of some sort, in general.

San Andreas is an incredibly frustrating experience for me, at times.

It's so very easy to figure out Americans' political stances by the kinds of cars they drive. If you venture into the more rural parts of America you'll notice most of the vehicles tend to be domestic makes - Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, etc. These tend to be people who vote conservatively, are aggressively patriotic (as much for American 'values' as for American corporations and industry) and care less for issues like Kyoto and global warming and the rise of AIDS in China.

Head into the American suburbs and many of the vehicles tend to be SUVs and a mixture domestic and foreign makes (mostly Japanese). These are family oriented lifestyles that favour political parties more in tune with issues like abortion, schools and education programs, and environmental causes and recycling. These people want more value for their money, and prefer a balance of conscientious living and consumerism.

Go into the cities and you'll find the most mix of cars. Many of them will be foreign made, from Europe and Japan, and mostly SUVs, sedans, and sports models. These are the affluent Americans comprised of young couples with 1-2 kids, or single professionals. They have more disposable income and tend to be more sophisticated, status aware consumers. Many of them have a more liberal political stand and favour such issues as gay and lesbian rights, pro-choice, and humanitarian interests. In the ethnic neighbourhoods you'll see an idiosyncratic mix of foreign (mostly Japanese) and domestic made cars, mostly sedans. These people tend to have larger families and are most concerned with local issues in their own community and vote for leaders whose actions affect them directly.

:erm: I dunno why I started analysing cars this way.

Anyway, yeah. Many American cars suck. But there are some that aren't so bad.

I used to be happy with my Volvo. You know, it's a Swedish car. It's often very cold in Sweden. Lots of snow and ice, harsh winters. So you might think my Volvo would be the perfect car in those conditions.

WRONG!

We've had a liiittle bit of snow here for the past few days, and my car just fucking refuses to start. And just when I needed it the most! Damn that car.

--Erwin

car-2005-02.png

Forest green? My car isn't forest green... I think...

Edit: Hmmm... Volvo describes it as Vase Green. What the fuck is that? ;(

--Erwin

I used to be happy with my Volvo. You know, it's a Swedish car. It's often very cold in Sweden. Lots of snow and ice, harsh winters. So you might think my Volvo would be the perfect car in those conditions.

WRONG!

I've thought so too. Guess my parents' Mazda (that mainly I use :)) isn't that bad then. It starts with -20 C even. But with -30 or so I've had problems. But the locks/windows keep freezing with much lower temperatures if there has been much humidity.

The only other car besides that I've had or driven more than for a test is a IZ Moskvitch. In the cold days, I had to use one hand to steer and the other one to scratch the ice off from the inside of the windshield.

FT-SH. Sounds dirty.

Oh, and we do outscores much of the design of the new American cars. Pontiac Vibe? Toyota Matrix. Half of Ford’s new line? Mazda3 or 6. Basically, if an American Car does not suck, it was designed overseas. Yet, weirdly, they probably were built here. All of the Toyota Trucks and SUVs are built in American factories. Honda too, but not to such a degree.

I don't know, in my experience all cars slowly become pieces of shit no matter what country. I'm sure there's not too big of a difference as everyone makes it out to be.

Yes there is. American cars have this... they turn a corner, and the entire car leans over. That's not supposed to happen. That's just one thing. Don't get me started on visual design. If I was a stunt coordinator, I'd love American Cars.

Yes there is. American cars have this... they turn a corner, and the entire car leans over. That's not supposed to happen. That's just one thing. Don't get me started on visual design. If I was a stunt coordinator, I'd love American Cars.

Erm... I'm pretty sure my car has never leaned over. I'm certain I would have noticed. I drive an '01 Taurus, though, not an SUV or something, so maybe that accounts for the lack of tippage :)

My family used to own a Toyota 4 Runner, which was awesome. Then we moved and bought a Chevy Blazer, which was complete crap. Everything on it was plastic and kept on falling apart. So yeah, my experience with American cars hasn't been that great. Toyotas, though, are great. :)

I used to live in Munich (so, near the Alpes?) and 20-30cm is nothing! talk about 2m within one day! And my old 1989 VW van will start in any weather...given that the battery is still there...

erwin, since when is 20-30 cm of snow a liitle bit of snow? :)

Here in Gelderland we only had 5 to 10 cm of snow. And once again I stress: It's a SWEDISH car! This weather should be peanuts to it!

--Erwin

again I stress: It's a SWEDISH car! This weather should be peanuts to it!

:deranged:

Wtf is that? I've never seen a model like that, ever. Must be sold for the dutch market, exclusively. Mabye it's not adapted to our extremely fucking winter-y winters. :shifty:

That's one of Volvo's rare sportscars. And no, it's not exclusively for the Dutch market. :shifty: This car has been in production from 1986 'till 1996 (without changing its design!), which is quite long for a car so I can't imagine you haven't seen it before. Either you don't know much about cars, or you're not a real Swede! Or aren't Volvo's very common in Sweden? That would be weird. :fart:

--Erwin

which is quite long for a car so I can't imagine you haven't seen it before. Either you don't know much about cars, or you're not a real Swede! Or aren't Volvo's very common in Sweden? That would be weird. :fart:

I don't recall having seen one of those before, but, it's not like I can remember every kind of car I've ever seen. As you said, it's rare and a sportscar. Maybe we just didn't get it. It doesn't seem very reliable either. :shifty:

And no, I don't know shit about cars except how they look like. But I am a real Swede! And Volvos are very common here. And... yeah...

As you said, it's rare and a sportscar. Maybe we just didn't get it. It doesn't seem very reliable either. :shifty:

I meant that Volvo doesn't have much sportscars. I don't think the model itself is *that* rare, though you see a lot more 440's and 460's on the road. And I'm 100% sure it was sold in Sweden. It was even sold in the US.

--Erwin