Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Question for Americans

Because I think it's kind of weird to cut off part of your penis for health reasons, unless it's at risk of going green and falling off.

Because I think it's kind of weird to cut off part of your penis for health reasons, unless it's at risk of going green and falling off.

Watching an episode of Extreme Makeover has now assured me that it is far less weird than some of the other things they slice and stuff and stretch and generally muck about with.

Those health reasons are all rather vague. Maybe it's something to do with a sandy environment.

In fact there is a charity organization that claims that circumcision is mutilation that can affect a man's sex life, and should be banned (I believe they even have treatments that can help... regrow it :eek: )

The whole "health reasons" arguement has gone down over the last few decades, and I believe many people are trying to change the policy.

Or I could have made everything I said up. That's possible too. I think I'm right though.

;(

:nuts:

I was circumcized when I was a baby because I had 'health problems', I couldn't pee right or somethingarather. As for the 'mutilation' bit; it's just a bit of skin they remove, they're not cutting in the actual thing. I still function pretty much like every other normal human being. Mentally I'm a wreck.

I doubt it affects a guy's sex life. I mean, if my boyfriend was circumcised, I would be mystified for about, like, three minutes, and then I'd get distracted and talk about something else.

Rodi, in your case I completely understand. In fact, I know a guy that's circumcised for a similar reason. But why on earth circumcise perfectly healthy babies?! I mean, unless you're Jewish... they do it for sport or something. I vote we just lift the ban on Fox Hunting and let men keep their foreskin.

While originally done for health reasons, most American guys probably are circumsized since birth or shortly thereafter. (I'm in nurse mode, here) When boys don't push the foreskin back when bathing, it becomes tight and uncomfortable to do so. Then the dead skin layers become gross (smegma), and can infect the head of the penis (balanitis). It can also cause a constriction of the head of the penis, causing pain and swelling. Circumcision can cause some desensitization of the head of the penis, because it is now exposed to clothing and rubs on it, causing the male to ignore part of the sensation received.

Because of the cleanliness issues, uncircumsized males may be more prone to some venereal diseases, though this is a highly political issue, and maybe just hyped up. Oral sex may be more difficult and less desired by the fellators if a foreskin is present, due to the smegma smell/taste, and more awkward reach of pushing back the foreskin. Vaginal and rectal sex seem to be unaffected either way.

Anyway, there is no best answer, and reasons for doing it or not. I know a couple of guys who had it done as adults, and wished it had been done as a child. No easy answers here.

FGM

Hey, if that's how you feel, don't cut off part of yours.

...or your son's. Whatever.

There are health and religious reasons for doing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision

There's nothing barbaric about the practice. Now female circumcision (AKA female genital mutilation) that's a whole different problem.

I don't know how I would be able to masturbate if I was circumcised. Maybe it would just be different. :shifty:

Fairygdmther: Delicious!

Loony: Health Reasons, that's fine. Although I don't see why you should remove it when there's absolutely nothing wrong. It seems pointless to remove a part of your body for no reason. I mean, seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for religious reasons... I'm in two minds. I hate when religion is a reason for something. That's so broad. "Why do you hate gay people?" "uhh, religion. Yes." However, by the same token, since circumcision doesn't actually bother me (I'm just curious as to why so many people get it done) I'm kind of okay with it being done as part of a religion. It's one of those harmless things that people do, like going to church. Sort of. Overall, though, religion is a shitty reason for anything.

I think I've used up two hands already, so... on the THIRD hand, I seriously don't mind circumcision and actually think it's probably a LOT cleaner... I just don't understand why so many people... I don't know, I'm confused. I didn't realize it was so widespread. I mean, it'd also be cleaner if I didn't have... I don't know... labia? :oldman:

I'm going to pair those two things together just once more, because I think they go well together.

:oldman: Labia.

NEW QUESTION: If so many babies get their foreskins cut off, what do they do with the masses and masses of tiny little foreskins? Are they sold to African Voodoo Lords to make medicines?

From what's been said it seems the answer is just that Americans can't wash themselves properly.

The whole sex thing, being circumsized means that you apparently lose about 30% of feeling in your bellend, or so some made up statisic says somewhere. People have argued that this means they will be able to 'last longer in bed which will please women'. That's all very well if you're the giving type, but then again you'll never experience the pleasure that an uncircumsized man would and sometimes you gotta look out for number one.

NEW QUESTION: If so many babies get their foreskins cut off, what do they do with the masses and masses of tiny little foreskins? Are they sold to African Voodoo Lords to make medicines?

Hotdogs and kebabs...

From what's been said it seems the answer is just that Americans can't wash themselves properly.
My thoughts exactly.

Let me just assure you that the penis of an uncircumcised person most probably isn't dirty, smelly and infected. :deranged:

:blink: Shit, girl, are you just trying to be funny? I was rather enjoying reading this more serious discussion, then you basically fucked it up by asking a stupid question like that.

:mrt:

Deadworm, please don't think I was trying to malign you or any other guy by saying that. There are, however, many 6-10 yr old boys, for whom cleanliness is not the prime object, and these are the ones who get the complications, and in whom the foreskin shrinks (phimosis) and is unable to be retracted to get clean underneath. If it can't be retracted, then it is difficult to clean under the foreskin, and possibly even painful. A circumcision at this age is painful, and it would be better to have it done as a baby. Once past this age range, and with proper care, there isn't a problem.

FGM

Loony: Health Reasons, that's fine. Although I don't see why you should remove it when there's absolutely nothing wrong. It seems pointless to remove a part of your body for no reason. I mean, seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

See that's just it...it's not a part of your body. It's not like you're lopping off a chunk or anything. It's a bit of skin that causes problems if left on. What's the big deal?"

As for religious reasons... I'm in two minds. I hate when religion is a reason for something. That's so broad. "Why do you hate gay people?" "uhh, religion. Yes." However, by the same token, since circumcision doesn't actually bother me (I'm just curious as to why so many people get it done) I'm kind of okay with it being done as part of a religion. It's one of those harmless things that people do, like going to church. Sort of. Overall, though, religion is a shitty reason for anything.

Religion is a perfectly good reason to do something.

...provided it's a good thing, of course.

Good Example:

"Why did you help that old lady out?"

"Because my religion teaches me to respect my elders."

Bad Example:

"Why did you massacre all those civilians, including women and children?"

"Because my religion taught me that they were subhuman and I have this decree from my pope that said it's okay."

...but that's all beside the point. Like keeping kosher, circumcision served both a practical and a religious purpose. The practical one being clenliness, the religious purpose being a way of making one's faith a bigger part of their life. (When you have to follow 1000+ rules in order to keep kosher, you'd better believe god is part of your every day life)

I like to think people would help old ladies across the road because they're nice people, not because other people/gods told them to. So, whether it's a good or a bad thing, I still don't see 'religion' is a good reason for anything.

I like to think people would help old ladies across the road because they're nice people, not because other people/gods told them to. So, whether it's a good or a bad thing, I still don't see 'religion' is a good reason for anything.
It's a good reason for suicide!

I more or less agree with Yufster on this one. The religious aspects of my upbringing did probably contribute to my moral compass, or whatever, but at this point I don't act on it because my religion told me to, but instead because I think it's a good idea.

I more or less agree with Yufster on this one. The religious aspects of my upbringing did probably contribute to my moral compass, or whatever, but at this point I don't act on it because my religion told me to, but instead because I think it's a good idea.

I'm not dismissing personal morality entirely, but if someone does something positive because their religion told them it's a good idea regardless of their own feelings, what's the problem?

But why exactly do you think it's a good idea?

I think that it's a mistake to say that religious people do what what they do simply because a god tells them to. That makes it sound as though they are being oppressed by their religion and would secretly love nothing more than to push old ladies down the stairs*. I think it's much nearer the truth to say that they want to do the right thing, and their religion has just told them what that right thing is.

So what really is the difference between your priest saying "we should be nice to each other" and your parents/friends/other?

Of course, I'm actually against religious teachings on the grounds that they are much harder to change and evolve along with what is currently regarded as socially acceptable, which is one of the reasons why blacks/gays got/get such a hard time from a lot of people.