ysbreker

european gamer afraid of cooties?

Didn't any of you guys, who didn't know what cooties were, watch tv? Cause I learned it from the telly of all places! You mean you never saw an episode of Ed Edd and Eddie where they are being chased by the trailer gilrs? or this dexters lab episode where he shrinks himself and goes into his sisters room and fights with his sisters cooties?

Odd.

I dunno. Seems like a game that could sell really well if it properly rides off the critical acclaim that ICO had. Now it's all "it's the sequel to ICO!!!" and tons of people will actually be virally promoting it when it comes out to make it a potential hit, instead of with ICO where people gradually found out about it over a long period of time because it didn't sell enough in the first month.

since when has "critical acclaim" meant good sales? I mean yeah, it'll prolly be a great game, but the advertising is extremely important for an odd game like this one. i think that's why they changed the name ... with a risky game like this one, a slightly more generic name will be easier to market.

while its not a great name, the game is gonna be the same, and really, thats whats most important.

SiN

Original ICO would've generated piles of money if only had the box art shown a more buxom pale femme fatale in some Marylyn Monroe pose behind a more grim and xtreme Ico brandishing a badass sword (or at least a two-by-four smeared in ectoplasm).

:pwned: :pwned: :devil::pwned::naughty:

...and while we're on the topic of boxart let's not forget the truly, truly, horrible "artwork" that Sony decided to use for the US version.

Ico-resized200.jpg

No wonder it was met with mass apathy by Joe public.

...and while we're on the topic of boxart let's not forget the truly, truly, horrible "artwork" that Sony decided to use for the US version.

Ico-resized200.jpg

No wonder it was met with mass apathy by Joe public.

Yes that is quite hideous.

They've been doing crap like that for years, I remember getting a Japanese version of Strider, the cover was this superb Anime drawing. Then I saw the European release with this westernised character pulling this atrocious 'hero' pose.

As far as horrible things done in the west to Japanese things, I think this poster takes the cake:

warriorsofthewind.jpg

Whoever has seen Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds should know how hideously atrocious a poster this is. It is an awesome movie, that, one of Miyazaki's finest. I bought the DVD the other day. I did a Google search for it beforehand and was insulted by this poster. So much so that I immediately set it as my desktop.

I love Nausicaa. She rules all. I haven't seen the movie yet, though. The comics have more in them, apparently, and were done first.

I watched the making-of documentary on my brand new DVD and it says that when Miyazaki presented the script of the movie to the investors they denied him on the grounds that it was stupid to make a movie without a comic book tie-in.... so Miyazaki sat down and created the comic book for them. He published it in an anime magazine edited by some dude who would later become his lesbian lover and partner in crime as the producer of studio Ghibli for all the movies that would come out after that.

:ratched:

I'm literally angry with rage!

I'd rather buy Wanda and the Colossus than Shadow of the Colossus, the latter one is too cliché for me.

Why must they make these stupid decisions?! :frusty:

That Nausicaa poster is horrid....

This reminds me, I still don't know why they changed Megaman's name...

Rockman IS a good name if your sister is Roll and your brother Blues... :frusty:

Oh remember how we used to call Princess Peach Princess Toadstool up until Super Mario 64? :shroom:

What an ugly name...

As far Wanda and the Colossus, I'm afriad cliche names are "safer", becuase they won't offend or confuse anybody....

As far Wanda and the Colossus, I'm afriad cliche names are "safer", becuase they won't offend or confuse anybody....

But is this really really true? We talk about gettig more non-gamers into the games, and maybe it is this sort of cliché that is putting them off. A bit of interest and innovation, something which tells them "this isn't just another hack-and-slash digital pap for your 12-year-old", that might be a good thing.

Hmm?

I know you guys are right, but to a game company original titles equals risks, and therefore equals "we might might 9$ Million instead of 12$" which is unacceptable for them...

Tis the evil of Marketing! ;(

Christ that nausicaa poster is shite, just wtf were they thinking?

I tell you one name change that I approve of and really honestly prefere...

Dr. Robotnik :yep:, I mean Eggman? C'mon.