loonyboi

Games everyone likes (but really suck)

Here's a fun thread...

What games do you hate that everyone seems to like for some reason?

My two biggest ones:

Beyond Good & Evil

and

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

BG&E was a great game that was rushed and collapsed on itself in the end. PoP was a disaster as far as I'm concerned, with the fun platforming elements completely ruined by the irritating (and never-ending) combat.

WTF, you couldn't be any more wrong with those two games. Both have incredible stories, great artwork and msuic, and just great refreshing gameplay in both as well. I could say that Halo is a crappy game but everyone seems to like it, but just because I don't like it, doesn't mean that it's a crappy game. But for a game that I actually think is crappy but everyone likes, Final Fantasy X and X-2.

Hold up guys. BG&E is an awesome game, but loony doesn't like it. In which case this thread serves its purpose: "Games which everyone loves but personally I hate"

As for me, hmmm, I can't think of any at the moment. I'll get back to you on that one.

Gameplay wise POP and BGE were nothing amazing. Prince of Persia, even outside of its combat, felt like a wonky on-a-rail experience. BGE was a good mix of different platforming styles, but nothing new and in many ways was just a rip-off or retooling of other games styles and gameplay, BGe was good for different reasons though.

Really overrated games:

Halo

Soul Calibur 1 & 2

KOTOR (especially)

But the thread title is "Games everyone likes (but really suck) " so is he saying that they suck, or is he saying that he personally doesn't like them like he says in his post.

Well, as much as I disagree with BG&E being on your list (though I've only played part of it, I enjoyed it a lot), looneyboi, it's a really interesting thread subject. I hate Syberia, and I often feel like I'm the only one who does, though a certain recent thread on these forums would seem to dispute this assumption.

I guess another potential one for me would be Armed & Dangerous. A lot of people really enjoyed this game, it got a great review on Mojo. I really wanted to like it, but for me the game was really clunky, chunky, and repetitive. It just seemed unfinished, and I couldn't stand how badly my allies performed and how little I could control them. The cutscenes are atrociously ugly, as well. I couldn't finish it, but perhaps I will someday.

Final Fantasy (any of them)

Goldeneye for N64

Allegedly gems, but have never done anything for me.

I agree with Goldeneye, mostly because I can't discern what anything is in 4-player splitscreen mode even though my friends all love it to death.

But that's like, contradictory. If everyone loves it, then nobody hates it!

So if we're really true to the thread title, we have to find games that suck but people love anyway, because of hype, or stupidity, or something.

'Everyone' is just a generalisation. Anyway, I don't know the intent of this thread. Thats your queue loonyboi

Oh, I know. I'm just adding to the noise. :)

I'm not much for GoldenEye either, and couldn't get into any of the Final Fantasies I've played (7-XI). I did try a bit of one which starts off with these mecha things...that seemed okay, but I stopped playing after a bit.

Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker.... Not that they suck, necessarily, but they're all way overrated.... Please don't kill me. :)

Oh, couldn't get into the Baldur's Gates, either. Diablo and Dungeon Siege and any game of that ilk suck. Ratchet & Clank series is overrated (although I didn't play Up Your Arsenal).

So what you're saying is, you hate video games.

Gameplay wise POP and BGE were nothing amazing. Prince of Persia, even outside of its combat, felt like a wonky on-a-rail experience.

"Half-Life 2, even outside of its combat, felt like a wonky on-a-rail experience."

:grin:

BGE was a good mix of different platforming styles, but nothing new and in many ways was just a rip-off or retooling of other games styles and gameplay, BGe was good for different reasons though.

So are you saying that a game has to absolutely be brand spanking new in anything to be 'amazing'?

Castlevania, Final Fantasy one and all, Sam & Max Hit the Road (sorry guys, was so bored that I couldn't finish it without a walkthrough), Diablo 2...

most sports games. I presume you don't mean everyone on this forum, but everyone on the planet.

Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker.... Not that they suck, necessarily, but they're all way overrated.... Please don't kill me.

DIE!

'Everyone' is just a generalisation. Anyway, I don't know the intent of this thread. Thats your queue loonyboi

Okay, a retitling of this thread to make things completely clear:

"Games most-but-not-everyone likes (but in my personal opinion suck)"

Better?

Anyway, re: BG&E:

I don't understand how anyone could play that game and NOT think it was rushed. The game HAS NO ENDING, people! Playing that game, it felt like the last third (at LEAST) was dropped.

...and it was.

The game was rushed to make Christmas (well, for a game that had been delayed multiple times, i guess 'rushed' may be a poor choice of terms), and it not only affected the game itself, it killed it in the marketplace.

For me it was:

Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC, Metal Gear Solid series, and Grand turismo 3

I think Halo's excellent (not groundbreaking, but really polished), but I'm totally with you on the others. After playing through MGS2, I think I've pretty much washed my hands of that series. The plot went through so many outlandish twists, that it rendered the series a joke. I can't take it even slightly seriously anymore. I tried playing The Twin Snakes and stopped after five minutes.

And I've never understood the appeal of Gran Turismo. I won't say they suck, as they're just totally not made for me (the same can be said for pretty much any sports game). They're ultra-realistic games that have you driving in a circle. Whee. Not my cup of tea. I'll take Wipeout or Burnout over that any day of the week.

Anyway, re: BG&E:

I don't understand how anyone could play that game and NOT think it was rushed. The game HAS NO ENDING, people! Playing that game, it felt like the last third (at LEAST) was dropped.

...and it was.

The game was rushed to make Christmas (well, for a game that had been delayed multiple times, i guess 'rushed' may be a poor choice of terms), and it not only affected the game itself, it killed it in the marketplace.

Whoah, hold a sec. Did you do your research to reach this conclusion? I agree with you, but do some homework and find out more that needs to be found.

AFAIK, the story ended the way it did based on an expectation of a sequel, which we all know will not be made. As per how the game was marketed, do some probing and see what you come up with. Most of the admirers believe its release was badly timed, and that Ubisoft did a horrible job marketing it.

But aside from all that, I believe the game was of a very high quality, among the best I've evere experienced. It did receive high critical praise from many reviewers.

Castlevania, Final Fantasy one and all, Sam & Max Hit the Road (sorry guys, was so bored that I couldn't finish it without a walkthrough), Diablo 2...

Hey! someone agrees with me. Sam & Max Hit the Road had good characters and all, but I thought the game was a complete waste of design. I was really having a hard time finding the direction in the game, and a lot of the mechanic was to solve everything in one location, throw it away, and move to the next location.

:(

I thought Sam and Max: HTR was cool and charming because the gameplay was random and psychotic like the comics. I like that they end up doing the opposite of what they were hired to do. It really struck a chord with me when I first picked it up, which I think is basically the same with a lot of games. Sometimes, they just don't work for certain people. I fucking love that game though. Jesus.

I hate Syberia, and I often feel like I'm the only one who does, though a certain recent thread on these forums would seem to dispute this assumption.
Comrade! *shakes Metallus's hand*