Sign in to follow this  
Jake

RIP Hunter S Thompson

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBIT_THOMPSON?SITE=SCBMN&SECTION=HOME ;(;(

DENVER (AP) -- Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News. Sheriff's officials did not return calls to The Associated Press late Sunday.

Juan Thompson found his father's body. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's visit to Las Vegas, he also wrote "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72." The central character in those wild, sprawling satires was "Dr. Thompson," a snarling, drug- and alcohol-crazed observer and participant.

Thompson is credited with pioneering New Journalism - or, as he dubbed it, "gonzo journalism" - in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story. Much of his earliest work appeared in Rolling Stone magazine.

"Fiction is based on reality unless you're a fairy-tale artist," Thompson told the AP in 2003. "You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it."

An acute observer of the decadence and depravity in American life, Thompson also wrote such collections "Generation of Swine" and "Songs of the Doomed." His first ever novel, "The Rum Diary," written in 1959, was first published in 1998.

Yep, saw this news on the bbc site this morning. Really sux :sad:

I've been reading The Rum Diary over the past few days as well and just have another 20 pages left which I will read on the train home this evening.

Damn shame.

R.I.P Hunter Stocton Thompson

I just read 2 of his books last week, I can't say I'm really too much surprised though.

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. -Hemingway

We watrched an interview with Ralph Steadman earlier. He said that Hunter S. had actually told him that he would one day shoot himself. "When old age becomes a trap" he said. Hunter had spent several unhappy years and had recently broken an ankle which severely limited his mobility. And if we're honest, it is a legendary exit befitting a legendary man.

If I ever go out with a suicide, I want to do it the ancient roman way.

*wishes we had an emoticon for that*

I was thinking more along the lines of slitting one's wrists while in the warm bathtub.

I was thinking more along the lines of slitting one's wrists while in the warm bathtub.
Oh man, that sounds awesome! *wormsie's jaw drops*

Yeah! Fucking death, yeah!!! Rock and Roll!!!!

:rolleyes:

He will continue to influence the writings of Idle Thumbs

Out of interest, how many Idle Thumbs staffers have read one of his books?

I've only read Fear and Loathing, but it was fantastic!

I've only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and a couple other shorter things that I forget the titles of, but even though I think we fail more than we succeed, or forget about it altogether sometimes, the sprirt of gonzo journalism is at least a little bit alive in the Thumb, and I hope it increases.

Depp To Reprise Role as Hunter S. Thompson

Johnny Depp is set to reprise his acclaimed role as journalist Hunter S. Thompson in the sequel to his 1998 hit Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. The follow-up, called The Rum Diary, is based on Thompson's very first novel, which journals his career and personal escapades in 1950s Puerto Rico. Depp is also acting as executive producer for the film. Thompson shot himself to death at his secure compound in Woody Creek, Colorado, on February 20.

hmmmMM