Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

What's next for the GTA series?

Woohoo! my first thread in these forums ( :fart: )

If you've read all that shit about GTA San Andreas, what do you think they will do next?

One of the things I can see in my crystal ball is a MMO GTA, but it's covered in mist and I can't tell when that will happen. Is there any place they can/will take the series before going for Massive Multiplayer?

A good amount of info on San Andreas can be found here:

http://www.freepgs.com/bigbadron/gta/

The scans are not very good -- tiny text -- but I managed to read it.

[edit] the scans seem to have disappeared. Just as I was getting to the final page (10), I got a 404. So read this eurogamer article that sums up what is said in those scans:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55550 (the same that was linked to in the news section)

Heh, it's no surprise the website died considering that the link was being posted practically everywhere ever. Luckily though, I foresaw such a problem and mirrored it.

As for the series, I'd assume that GTA4 would be the next step for the next generation of consoles. I severely doubt that they'll continue with the current generation for any longer after this. They'd have to aim big to top this though - perhaps an entire country? A country based on the UK would provide a very interesting game.

What they should do is let you play as a Rabbi from NYC who shot a man and is now at large in the whole nation of Canada. Jackie Mason could play the Rabbi.

For some reason I'm sure I heard of MMO GTA where you could form a gang, have 4 people in one car all jump out with uzis and start clipping a rival gang.

maybe I just dreamt this. Still, would be the best way to go I'd think.

The problem with that is that MMO = the opposite of cinematic, at least in my imagination. Maybe its doable somehow but I can't see a remotely cinematic feeling multiplayer experience happening, at least not on the PS2.

I wanna play an older black woman gone apeshit. An old lady who one day decides out of the blue that she wants to clean up the streets by taking all the gang work into her own hands...

Ah, like one of those I usually pass by on my way to the train here in Uptown. They're everywhere, and they're usually nice. There's one who always, always sits at the exact same place at that bar Big Chick's up in Edgewater (five blocks north of where I live). I love her, her name's Elizabeth iirc. One time I had the pleasure of sitting down with her and discussing our political views. To visualize what she looks like, think Don King in a dress. Thus I nicknamed her Donatella King. She's always at the same spot at the bar, nursing a mug of Budweiser. Don't even think of stealing her seat, it'll piss her off and the bartenders'll glare at you. I think when she dies they should put a bronze plaque by where she used to sit.

Multi Theft Auto are multiplayer mods for GTA III and VC.

And they're pretty good too - at least for three seconds. Very primitive, but you can't expect much more from a bunch of third-party hackers. Get a hold of them and The All-Seeing Eye, then drive round Vice City with your fellow hardcore experimenters and weep tears of joy as your computers crash in unison.

The idea of a MMO GTA is really exciting, but I'm at a loss to imagine how they would pull it off. How do you solve the problem of everyone wanting to be a hero, nobody willing to slum it by having anything less than an Apache helicopter for transport? Some kind of reputation-based economy? That would be awesome, if done right, and if it wasn't just some dumb "levelling up" experience where you slay Haitians or something.

Other than that: rocket-powered skidoos. Definitely something that's missing from the current GTA generation.

Well, I imagine the MMO could have gangs you can join, fight gang wars with others in order to control some territory. You could also fight for ownership of the businesses. And the businesses could provide access to weapons, vehicles etc.

Haven't really thought about this as I haven't played any MMORPGs myself (except a few trials).

Playing as a female prostitute sounds like a super idea! Then you could pimp out to make money and beat up your customers to make even more money. hehehe imagine the controversy...

Yeah, and you have the option of buying property. Turn a townhouse into a brothel with you as the Madame. Heh heh, and the political elite (like Mayor and his cronies) would be regular customers, and you can establish a gang of carjacking Super Ho's who'll cut up the customers who refuse to pay.

I'm not waiting anything from the GTA sequels... I'm waiting for a clever team that would pick up the gameplay and insert it into a different universe(18th century, 22th century...) with a less serious plot and a adventure part.

Pirating in the Caribbean with different pirate bosses between islands, stealing coaches, horses, oxen, boats, ships... it seems like a very hard prospect.

Sid Meier's Pirates! ?

I personally love the GTA series and love the fact that they're taking GTA:SA to a higher level instead of making Vice City 2.0. The game actually has me quite excited, moreso than I expected. It seems San Andreas, besides being bigger and offering more modes of transportation, gives you a sense of being in control. Vice City made you feel slightly less like an errand boy, but hopefully the feeling will be gone entirely in San Andreas, as it will be possible to control gang members more directly and purchase buildings that aren't just a number of pre-determined mission hubs.