Salka

Willy Wanka & The Chocolate Factory

Why do i always miss out these mysterious homo-erotic undertones? Even with Point Break and Top Gun I've always needed to have other people mention it before I go "....oh yeah"

His sexuality is never really addressed in the movie (it's hinted at very subtley, but that's it), although T.E. Lawrence is generally thought to have been gay.

YufsterChan: I'm mega pissed off about the new Willy Wonka movie

DFASDF: There is one?

YufsterChan: Yeah, Johnny Depp stars as a PAEDOPHILE-LOOKING 'CHOCOLATEER'. So, he likes to MINE for CHOCOLATE, does he? LOOKS LIKE IT

DFASDF: Oooooookay

DFASDF: Neway Depp is totally fine

*blah blah blah*

DFASDF: Ok your right, he does look creepy in that trailer

YufsterChan: Yes, I know

DFASDF: and ugly

YufsterChan: He looks hideous

DFASDF: Was Gene Hackman gay?

:deranged:

Wow, watched the Godfather III...Sophia Copolla is poison. But I quite enjoyed it, especially all of the Sicilia scenes with just or mostly Pacino.

As for T.E. Lawrence, that guy really acted like an ass-hat. No one is that breathy when they talk. Still fit the role perfectly though (that is, the role of a breathy ass-hat).

I found it interesting that the original film is titled "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," whereas the new movie is "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," (which is the actual title of Dahl's book).

And Chris, I didn't especially like the trailer either, so there :)

I'm going to reserve judgement until there's a real trailer with actual dialog, though.

Apparently, the original movie was called 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' not to emphasise Wonka's role, but simply because 'Charlie' is or was at some point a slang term for a black slave, or something to that effect. And I guess some bright spark thought, "hmm, CHARLIE and the CHOCOLATE FACTORY? People might think this is a movie about a black slave in a factory full of black slaves!" and so they changed the name.

Another fun fact is that in one of Roald Dahl's books, 'Snozberry' is used to describe a penis. And remember that scene where Gene Wilder says, "It's real lickable wallpaper! The apples taste like apples! The strawberries taste like strawberries! The snozberries taste like snozberries!"

Yeah. Watch that scene with that in mind. And then he grabs the little girls face with her mouth open, and says, "We are the music makers, the dreamer of dreams." and it's just creepy and weird.

Being tim Burton movie, I expected the trailer to be more visually stunning.

It looks dull. Everything looks as if they're lit with dull fluorescent lights. Or maybe it's just Johnny Depp's skin colour that's doing it.

Why do i always miss out these mysterious homo-erotic undertones? Even with Point Break and Top Gun I've always needed to have other people mention it before I go "....oh yeah"

Ever watch The Producers?

Apparently, the original movie was called 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' not to emphasise Wonka's role, but simply because 'Charlie' is or was at some point a slang term for a black slave, or something to that effect. And I guess some bright spark thought, "hmm, CHARLIE and the CHOCOLATE FACTORY? People might think this is a movie about a black slave in a factory full of black slaves!" and so they changed the name.

is there a parody called 'chocolate and the charlie factory'? There should be.

Except, as I said earlier in the thread, they really did rename it simply to promote the Wonka candy brand (which still exists as a brand to sell candy like Nerds, Sweet Tarts, Tangy Taffy, and Gobstoppers). The film and the candy was all a big marketing tie in crazy thing by whoever had the rights at the time.

As far as I'm concerned, the psycho squirrels in that new trailer make this movie a must see for me. :grin:

Past the first 10 seconds, this trailers makes the movie looks like "Polar Express" with live actors. I hope this trailer is more trying to sell the movie than faithfully describing it. Because if not, this is baaad news.

there is (of coures) a great episode of family guy about this... I had no idea that there was such a movie untill yufster started this thread. now all of that makes sense.

BTW The name of that family guy episode is Pawtucket Pat ...

As far as I'm concerned, the psycho squirrels in that new trailer make this movie a must see for me. :grin:

You would say that.

Meh. Wasn't exactly a fan of the original and I doubt I will be of this one. I might go see it at some point, tho.

Johnny Depp sounds hauntingly like Gene Wilder in this movie... he has a very sweet and soft and very.. Gene Wilderish voice.

I think it looks alright, Johnny Deep isn't all that good for the part but he is a good actor, I doubt that he'll be terrible. Though I trust Tim Burton in making good films Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory really didn't need a remake, it's a classic, no remake can surpass it mainly because it has a golden feeling that's nearly nonexistent in films these days.

I'll definitly see it, though.

firstly,half of you haven't even seen it so shut the hell up till you have.secondly,I also believe yhat Gene Wilder did the best job ever,but at least give J.D a chance :finger:

Me too! It is the best Tim Burton movie in the past ten years, which isn't saying much.

Ever watch The Producers?

And Lord of the Rings.

In fact, there's a play in my area called

Fellowship! parodying of the movie and outlining the intense undying love that Sam has for Frodo.

And also of Legolas and Gimli.

What area? Are you in San Diego?

Los Angeles. It played in Hollywood. I never saw it, but I have plenty of friends who have and they say good things about it.

I wont have a bad word said against Frodo Baggins. They went through a VERY difficult journey together. It is the bonding of men through war. I will not hear about any suggestions regarding reacharounds or such like.