Salka

Willy Wanka & The Chocolate Factory

Uh, believe it or not, that was an actual typo.

In other news,

The two thus created a back story about Wonka's domineering dentist father. Dr. Wilbur Wonka DDS outfits his young son in torturous orthodontics and burns his son's entire bag of Halloween sweets in the fireplace. Willy's forbidden fruit, not surprisingly, eventually becomes his passion. And while he now has all the candy in the world, Willy has grown estranged from his dad.

Tim Burton says that the book never cleared up what happened to Willy afterwards. Does he even know there's a second book?

how can you not like the cheesy campy action movie that is 'mars attacks!', Erwin?

I don't know. I guess it was just too much over the top. I like Mel Brooks movies, which are kinda the same humour, I think, but Mars Attacks was just too much. Even SpaceBalls isn't that campy.

--Erwin

Since I'm somewhat connected to the movie (via the game adaptation) I can't really say much of anything, but I will say this...

1. This isn't a remake: it's an adaptation of the original book by Roald Dahl.

2. The original movie sucked ass. Seriously. I don't understand why people like that movie so much. It was terrible. It's painful to sit through, and had very little in common with the book it was based on. Hopefully Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the name of the book, not the Gene Wilder-centric movie) will be a bit better.

Tim Burton says that the book never cleared up what happened to Willy afterwards. Does he even know there's a second book?

...or a third.

Was there ever a fourth? I only read three.

Uh, there was no third book. What are you talking about?

I realize it isn't a remake, but Tim Burton can't honestly expect people not to compare the two movies.

The Original Movie did not suck ass. Perhaps a lot of American people didn't understand it or something. Why didn't you like it? Why did it 'suck ass' for you?

Also, it doesn't seem that Tim Burton is being too finicky about sticking to the book either. There was never a back story about Willy Wonka's father in the book, and from what little I have seen of Wonka so far, he doesn't seem like the wild, wacky Wonka that's described in the book either. I'm going to dig up my old copy of the book and find the part where it describes Willy Wonka's goddamn HAIR.

Uh, there was no third book. What are you talking about?

Granted, it's been more than twenty years since I would have read it, but I could have sworn there was a third book that took place in outer space. Or was that just the second one?

I realize it isn't a remake, but Tim Burton can't honestly expect people not to compare the two movies.

The Original Movie did not suck ass. Perhaps a lot of American people didn't understand it or something. Why didn't you like it? Why did it 'suck ass' for you?

I just think it's a lousy movie. Most people I know (american or not) like it, so it's hardly a fault of my country of origin.

But really...as a musical it's painful, the acting is hammy at best, the sets look like they were pulled out of Laugh-In, and don't even start with me about the Oompa Loompas. The movie's only real value is as a stoner movie, and even on that level I can't see the draw.

I'm not saying I think the Tim Burton movie's going to be any better, but I don't think it has a whole lot to live up to.

The second book was partly located in Outer Space. Reminds me of the DFAC, actually.

The acting in the Original was fine. Especially Gene Wilder, he was fantastic, but all the other actors were brilliant too. The sets, well, I guess they look pretty weak in comparison to stuff you'd see today, but as a musical it wasn't bad. I love Pure Imagination, and it's one of my favourite songs of all time... Cheer Up Charlie was lovely, and I absolutely love the poem that Wonka sings, slowly growing more and more hysterical, on the Paddle Boat.... at times the music dragged on, but I feel like that with ALL musicals, Disney ones and all.

I disagree that the only real value of the movie is as a stoner movie... I think it was a charming, heartfelt, funny movie, with a lot of hilarious performing by Gene Wilder. And yet, besides being a terrific family movie, it ALSO works as a stoner movie! I mean, what more could you ask for, really?

I seriously think you should give it another try. I hope you'll like it. I think you will.

That Gene Wilder must've been out of his gourd on acid, I really enjoyed the movie (atleast last time-8-9 years ago), especially because of his performance. Man, if you can't sit through Willy Wonka you must have a problem. That movie is all about psychophantic set pieces and bizarre songs, I think it's one of the great child movies.

...if you want a hard pill to swallow try Lawrence of Arabia, I have tried twice and I can't do it.

...if you want a hard pill to swallow try Lawrence of Arabia, I have tried twice and I can't do it.

Oh man. 2001: Space Odyssey? Fecking painful. I still haven't gotten past the halfway point of that movie.

I watched 2001 without a problem, but I did fast forward through the psychedelic 15 minutes. After which the ending left me utterly confused. But maybe that was my fault, and if I had opted to watch fifteen minutes of groovy technicolour swirly thingies, I'd have illuminated my mind to new perspectives.

Pretty much everyone agrees that the movie makes no sense taken on its own. If you read the fairly slim book, though, you'll find yourself going "ohhhhh, i get it now" quite a number of times.

It doesn't reall surprise me that someone wouldn't like Lawrence of Arabia if they didn't like 2001 or vice versa. One of the best aspects of both of those films their powerful (albiet long drawn out) imagery, and if you just don't like that sort of thing then they're liable to piss you right off.

I seriously think you should give it another try. I hope you'll like it. I think you will.

I doubt it. I've given that movie many, many tries over the years. It's one of my sister's favorite movies.

Oh man. 2001: Space Odyssey? Fecking painful. I still haven't gotten past the halfway point of that movie.

Now you see, those are two of my favorite movies.

To each their own.

Yeah its funny you should mention it, I've watched '2001' about 8 times; it's my favorite movie. I thought it made perfect sense too, and I find it enthralling, even the bits at the end.

The thing about Lawrence of Arabia, I like it, it's just that around the part where they cross the desert (and attack that town) I become languid and incapable of processing thought. I had a similar problem with the 2nd two Lord of the Rings films, their uninspired, marathon action scenes totally drained me.

Is there some sort of debate going on in the Staff Forum about the spelling of this thread title or something? Because if it helps, it's spelled 'wonka', but I spelled it 'wanka' in order for it to sound more like 'wanker'.

If you're really having a problem deciding what to do with the thread title, why not just replace it with 'Tim Burton is a big cunt'? I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot easier to figure out how to censor that.

Hey, I'm a nice guy. I don't like to say nasty things about other people, and I rarely do. With this in mind, all I'll say is this;

Blasphemy, Yufster, is a crime on a par with high treason.

I love that bit on the boat in the original movie though, and the bit where that rich girl is all "Daddy I want a golden egg!" and her dad strolls over with his wallet and goes "alright Wonka, how much for an egg?"

Genius

Is there some sort of debate going on in the Staff Forum about the spelling of this thread title or something? Because if it helps, it's spelled 'wonka', but I spelled it 'wanka' in order for it to sound more like 'wanker'.

If you're really having a problem deciding what to do with the thread title, why not just replace it with 'Tim Burton is a big cunt'? I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot easier to figure out how to censor that.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to censor you, I just thought it was a typo.

To be honest, I figured that somebody had just thought it a typo... but I really did want a chance to say 'Tim Burton is a big cunt', and now I've said it twice, so I think this thread is quite a personal success story.

The thing about Lawrence of Arabia, I like it, it's just that around the part where they cross the desert (and attack that town) I become languid and incapable of processing thought. I had a similar problem with the 2nd two Lord of the Rings films, their uninspired, marathon action scenes totally drained me.

My wife hated Lawrence of Arabia...she pointed out that the only women in it are the ones in burkas that holler as their men go off to war.

Before that, I'd never even thought about it.

For a movie about a gay man, it certainly does have a lot of testosterone, I suppose.

For a movie about a gay man, it certainly does have a lot of testosterone, I suppose.

Why do i always miss out these mysterious homo-erotic undertones? Even with Point Break and Top Gun I've always needed to have other people mention it before I go "....oh yeah"