General Fuzzy McBitty

Old PS2 games

What on Earth is a PS2 thread doing in the retro forum? :erm:

Anyway, I'm with SoccerDude28, we can't help you too much if we don't know which kind of games you like...

What on Earth is a PS2 thread doing in the retro forum? :erm:

Anyway, I'm with SoccerDude28, we can't help you too much if we don't know which kind of games you like...

I wanted older games that I can find second hand. In an industry where last month is considered out of date, it doesn't seem like a bad place for it.

I've only played a few PS2 games, but I definitely recommend ICO and Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus.

ICO is a beautiful game with fighting sequences, but otherwise like adventure game.

Sly is a platform game that is humorous and fun.

FGM

While it starts on PS1, any/all the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Games (Blood Omen 1 was okay, and 2 wasn't too great). You could get Soul Reaver 1 and Soul Reaver 2 for 20 bucks. THE STORY IS AmaZING. Blood Omen 1 isn't necesary, and neither is 2, for continuity, since they branch off. But, It's a well done game, and if you want, you could pick up Defiance (the next part of the story) for a bit more. It came out a year ago, so it probaly dropped a bit since then.

I want Rez, but since that's next-to-impossible to find, I'm going to pick up Devil May Cry (1) one of these days.

Yes, I've never played it.

While it starts on PS1, any/all the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Games (Blood Omen 1 was okay, and 2 wasn't too great). You could get Soul Reaver 1 and Soul Reaver 2 for 20 bucks. THE STORY IS AmaZING. Blood Omen 1 isn't necesary, and neither is 2, for continuity, since they branch off. But, It's a well done game, and if you want, you could pick up Defiance (the next part of the story) for a bit more. It came out a year ago, so it probaly dropped a bit since then.

I love those games to death. The art direction, story and voice acting is among the best in the industry.

The gameplay however can be frustratingly dull. It's the worst part of every game in the series.

Agreed.

The plot is spoiled by the fact that each game paves the way for the next in the series, have they not considered that the company might go bust?

I have followed the game religiously since it started on the PS1, playing versions on the Dream cast, PS2 (ugh), and X-box.

It still feels like I've never been given a complete story. That said I haven#t played the last one.

I don't know if Final Fantasy X fits into this thread but it is pretty old, and with Final Fantasy XII coming soon and all. Anyway, it's one of my all-time favourites on the PS2 platform and of the Final Fantasy series.

I'd recommend Dead or Alive too, if you have some one to play with, a really good fighting game. The good thing about it is that it doesn't contain any combos like so many other games, it's all about blocking, countering, attacking and holds. A bit more tactics in my opinion.

get rez

your ps2 gaming life is incomplete without it.

Get the Vibration pack/edition.

Your Rez gaming life is incomplete without it.

Agreed.

The plot is spoiled by the fact that each game paves the way for the next in the series, have they not considered that the company might go bust?

I have followed the game religiously since it started on the PS1, playing versions on the Dream cast, PS2 (ugh), and X-box.

It still feels like I've never been given a complete story. That said I haven#t played the last one.

Defiance is awesome, story-wise. It brings everything together, and has one of the best endings (plot-wise) of any game I've ever played.

Too bad the gameplay still involves levers and finding items associated with the elements (ugh).

Devil May Cry

Metal Gear Solid 2

Ico

Final Fantasy X

They're all great games and you can get all of them used for like 10 bucks a piece.

I picked up Devil May Cry this weekend for $8 used. This game better rock, or I'm holding you all responsible. :hmph:

I really like this fancy Amplitude game. You drive down a track made out of music and shoot at musical notes to make the various parts of the song. How cool is that?

Don't answer. It's PRETTY COOL.

Anyone mentioned The Mark of Kri yet? One of my favourite PS2 titles, and undecervedly (that's the word?) ignored by gamers. There's really no other game quite like it either, so it should feel fresh, even if it's 2 years old now.

And Rise of the Kasai is about to be released, which is the sequel. I'm buying it, and hopefully more gamers will too, once they realized the uniqueness and quality of the games.

they won't. people in general don't like new or innovative. they like old and "gotten used to". Selling new ideas to people is like explaining to a 6 year old boy that this new really smelly dish you just prepared actually tastes good and he should give it a try.

they won't. people in general don't like new or innovative. they like old and "gotten used to". Selling new ideas to people is like explaining to a 6 year old boy that this new really smelly dish you just prepared actually tastes good and he should give it a try.

I cite the case of Katamari and Damacy as proof that isn't true. :legalese:

The bigger problem is that many new ideas kinda suck.

... and that many new ideas aren't sold as well as old ideas.

Yeah, that's a big problem too. There are a lot of games that have good ideas, but can't follow-through on them properly. Black & White's a good example of that.

And actually, so is Fable (not to be overly harsh on Molyneux or anything).