Roderick

General World of Warcraft topic

Indeed, I particularly like the way that the human/undead settlements and areas are bordering on analmost 18th century US pioneer feel. Just look at the Dwarfs and Gnomes and you can see that Azaroth is firmly into its Steam Age.

That's difficult, because I'm not sure what causes it. Oh well, I'll try.

Look at Westfall - that is clearly based on US farmland and prairie. And Tirisfal and Silverpine are not so much Transylvania as New England (maybe even Derry, Maine :D ). Durotar is very reminicent of the badlands around the Grand Canyon.

One of my favourite things about this game is the landscapes, and I think previous MMOs have really been lacking in imagination on that point. I'd really love to see the Blizzard artists at work. I bet they took thousands of photos of cool looking places to base the WoW landscape on.

I think Treesus is spot-on about many of the location influences. In fact, there are a bunch of humans who even speak with that classic Oldy Westy Fronteir Sheriff accent that you see in old westerns.

I really like that Blizzard has carved out its own niche in terms of setting. I mean, obviously they fall back on a lot of the same Tolkien cliches that are practically part of our mythological culture now, but they definitely have a very down-to-earth wide scope of influences. I definitely don't feel like it's some dorky hardcore cheap fantasy novel author writing this stuff.

Yeah, it's the same as when they made the science fiction game Starcraft, and then they decided to make the Terrans feel and sound like they were coming from the American civil war, North vs South, rednecks and blue collars and whatnot. Even Blizzard itself was surprised by that, but it really helped to give Starcraft a surprising shine.

BUMP!

I've never been so immersed in a game, ever.

I'm on the european roleplaying server (Earthern Ring) at the moment, and have been playing as a paladin. I'm level 22, and I'm completely hooked. I love just hanging around the tavern interacting, I love the elite quests and having to team up. The graphics are unbelievable.

This game is a dream.

I'm completely and utterly hooked, and have barely done anything, but log onto the game and play, play, play!! :)

For those interested, I play Rayvielle on the earthern ring server, so if you see me, holla, holla, holla. :D

Seriously, if you have the time to spare, own this game. It's something else...

WoW is easily the best MMORPG ever made, I'm looking forward to the new patch which will add some new stuff, balance the game (even though it buffs shamans), and speech bubbles.

Right now, my character is a level 38 human priest and part of the Cardboard Tube Samurai. And this Saturday we're having a pvp event with a horde guild called the Obsidian Spur (another PA reference) at some arena. I've been to one before and it was pretty awesome. It started off with a few 1vs1 fights, and ended with all the members of both guilds attacking eachother at once. The last pvp event also had a nude fight where no one had any items equipped, and it was a fistfight only with no skills. It's amazing to see the stuff that is planned out when characters hit level 60.

I really want blizzard to add some new stuff already though. There's been mmorpgs like Star Wars:Galaxies (yes is sucked but...) that had things like played owned houses, guild halls, you know, property that you could own. I'd love to see guild hall instances or something added to the game. At least the pvp honor system and the battlegrounds (when it comes out) should add a lot to the game.

Right now I am sooo pissed at Blizzard for their "great" patching system.

WTF? Those cheap ass bastards make LOADS of money with this game but are too cheap to provide adequate serverpower to guarantee smooth patching for everyone? At least they should make it possible to download the patches outside of their system... those A-holes!

@lailoken:

i was just as pissed at it, so i downloaded the patch off gamespot ... i think MAYBE a basic subscription is needed (free anyway), but none of that 3rd party downloader crap, so it worked out really well.

SiN

thanks, yeah I actually went through the WOW forums and found a link to some other site that has the patch as well. Still terribly disappointed with Blizzard...

Yeah, they're probably just swimming in their filled moneybins the whole day now. You know how they are, always slacking and never delivering anything, period :shifty:

Anyway, for me it's been Resident Evil 4 as hors d'ouvre, soup, meal and dessert. World of Warcraft has taken a backseat now that I've got hordes of eastern europeans to kill. RAWR!

@lailoken:

i was just as pissed at it, so i downloaded the patch off gamespot ... i think MAYBE a basic subscription is needed (free anyway), but none of that 3rd party downloader crap, so it worked out really well.

SiN

At least the game worked for you after you patched it. For whatever reason, the game refused to work for a couple of days after I installed the patch, no clue why. Oh well, at least my priest is now level 41.

well, the game was a bit laggy the day of the update, but on the upside, i got another week of free WoW, so i cant really complain :)

SiN

Hey, as a side, I believe a few days ago I actually bumped into Tanukitsune from our forums here in the Stranglethorn Vale, but because I was a Paladin and he was an Undead (warlock I believe) I could only bow and wave at him, and couldn't communicate verbally in anyway coherant. I like the feature, because obviously if everyone could understand what everyone was saying, then half of the PVP raids would be over MUCH MUCH quicker. There are way too many mouthy NOOBS on these servers. Sometimes, they're funny because they're laughable, other times you wanna smack 'em! As a result, they'd give any semblance of strategy away in seconds. (Not that there ever IS any strategy in any of the raids I've been on at least).

I tried to private message but couldn't do that either.

Still, adds to the effect I s'pose.

Anyway, just a heads up Tan, if you're wondering who that random guy was shouting and waving at you incoherantly in the jungle a couple of days back, that was me.

:buyme:

Earthen Ring is becoming one big Idle fest :mrt:

That reminds me, Tanu, make me a Deadly Blunderbus next time I meet you ;)

Hey, as a side, I believe a few days ago I actually bumped into Tanukitsune from our forums here in the Stranglethorn Vale, but because I was a Paladin and he was an Undead (warlock I believe) I could only bow and wave at him, and couldn't communicate verbally in anyway coherant. I like the feature, because obviously if everyone could understand what everyone was saying, then half of the PVP raids would be over MUCH MUCH quicker. There are way too many mouthy NOOBS on these servers. Sometimes, they're funny because they're laughable, other times you wanna smack 'em! As a result, they'd give any semblance of strategy away in seconds. (Not that there ever IS any strategy in any of the raids I've been on at least).

I tried to private message but couldn't do that either.

Still, adds to the effect I s'pose.

Anyway, just a heads up Tan, if you're wondering who that random guy was shouting and waving at you incoherantly in the jungle a couple of days back, that was me.

:buyme:

Hey, I remember a Human Paladin talking to me there! Since I couldn't understand Common, all I could do was shrug...

I thought it was someone asking me for directions...

:erm:

Not sure if that still works, but with /me you can trick the system by writing stuff like /me wants to say "Hey Tanukitsune, it's me Lailoken!" but alas does not to save his soul, speak any Undeadic...

Emotes communicate across factions, but only with the generic text emotes are programmed to say. You can't actually communicate in any other way. It used to be possible to type with leet-style numeric/symbolic stuff since those still came through but with the latest patch Blizzard disabled that too (thank God--the last thing I want is my screen filled up with that shit).

I definitely don't feel like it's some dorky hardcore cheap fantasy novel author writing this stuff.

I think a big part of this is that the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Carried over from Warcraft 3. Very refreshing take on the typical fantasy genre.

yeah but the part where their stories are cheap, clichéd and shallow, that isn't part of not taking oneself too seriously, that is just pure ineptitude... totally fails to give the impression of an actual living breathing world

They're no worse to me than most other video game plots, and the visual design of the world as well as its population with real players is enough to keep me immersed.