Roderick

General World of Warcraft topic

Good grief! The portals are open! And I'm gonna go retrieve my copy in half an hour! YARR! Yesterday evening, just to get in the mood, I played and finished the Human campaign from Warcraft 3. Great stuff really. In the three years or so since I played it I had forgotten how great is was. It's the beginning of all the maddening demon-chaos, and right there it's still so simple, so easy to understand (as opposed to the convoluted entwining faiths of dozens of heroes near the end of Frozen Throne). And yet so epic. Arthas really is such an intruiging character. Maybe archetypical, but so lovingly painted. It's just a shame (and I've been saying this ever since I played the game) that Arthas' relationship with Jaina Proudmoore is never really used. It was set up in the earlier levels and it could have been masterfully used to show how far Arthas' madness really goes. Instead we have a few flirty scenes in the beginning, but then the game douses that flame and leaves me with unresolved expectation. One of the only mistakes, plotwise, that really jumped on me.

I now possess the World of Warcraft Collector's Edition, and lo! Already I have put it my pants! A fine tradition that was inspired by Penny Arcade's Gabe putting Diablo 2 in his pants. I did it too, and since then, well, it has snuck in. Delicious, you should try it.

Anyway, it's by far the most lush collector's edition I've ever seen. The purple-red velvet inside, the hardcover, beautiful artbook (far less ambitious than that Warcraft III artbook, but VASTLY better executed; consistent quality!), the gorgeous soundtrack, the notion that they thought of it to put the Frozen Throne cinematics on the DVD alongside WoW's... it's just all so pretty. And for only 20 euro's above the regular's price, it's an astounding bargain.

I did get a little shock though, when the site said my key was invalid. After a frantic moment I realised I was on the US-site. I still had the US beta version installed and it linked directly to the US site. So I quickly de-installed it and am now installing the European version. Phew, that was a tense moment. Hopefully all will go well now! Listening to the great soundtrack now. Already it's way better than the Warcraft III soundtrack. Blizzard has really outdone themselves. They've provided such irresistable quality now. WoW!

I got mine too!

:gaming:

I'm downloading the final patch...

I thought my account would be deleted, but it's not? I guess I just need the CD-Key then?

I'm copying the music tracks to my HDD, while downloading the final patch...

I already read the manual and saw the art book, so I'm off to game all day any second now...

What the fuck is wrong with this?! The European website seems to be completely fucked up, leading me to all sorts of 404's! It continuously says my cd-key is invalid, technical service webforms are inaccessible and I am outraged! What am I to do!? A desperate man pleads!

edit: I've made it. Now I'm downloading a huge patch. Damn I want to play! And damn those frilly erratic technical fuckups >_< They suck. Put now I want to start playing!

Yeah the site is wonky, but I made it to the game too...

I0m already level 5 I think, the game is...

LAG-alicious! :shifty:

I was AFK a sec and I got kicked out! :bomb:

Every man, dog and his donkey are logging into WoW now, and you find it strange the game is slow? tks tsk how naive :)

well quite honestly I don't give a FUCK who is trying to logg into WoW tonight, I'd still expect to be able to sign on at some point! FUCK

Well, you could always try Rodi's suggestion. While you wait, stick the game down your pants for a while.

Although, I just want you to know, that when I finally get my copy dispatched, it won't be going down my jeans nor my boxer shorts.

Seriously though...everyone will get a turn. My presumption being that the WoW servers are like the proverbial virtual village bicycle. :gaming:

I just reached level 10 and got my Voidwalker, so I think I can call it a day....

Should I even bother to try to form a guild? Everbody declines and says that they want to form thier own!

:shifty:

In which servers are you guys? I think mine is called Northdell or something...

I'm on the roleplayingserver Earthen Ring. I've played now for a good 10 hours, I'm a level 11 Undead Warlock named Korach (unfortunately my first pick name was already taken, so I went with a good alternative), and it's safe to say I love it.

An amusing thing to see was: when I started with the game it was extremely choppy, there were huge problems with collision detection, the sky flickered, shadows were jittery, etc etc. It really gave a choppy experience. Then I downloaded the latest videcard drivers for my age-old NVidia, and everything turns to gold! I'm serious, all of a sudden the game runs liek crazy, everything looks gorgeous, wow! Aside from that, I teamed up with an English guy I didn't know, and we had a great roleplaying experience, staying in-character all the time. That was swell and scary at the same time. You know what this first day of World of Warcraft reminds me of? Morrowind. It's essentially Morrowind, with multiplayer. In fact, Everyone (including me) who ever lamented that Morrowind would be a great MMORPG, need look no further than WoW. It's, so far, almost exactly the smae; it's very freeroaming, but there are plenty of quests to do. It even feels the same. Which is a good thing.

Last thing: I LOVE it when you die, and the sky has this giant inkblack vortex hanging dramatically over you, humming with vacuum. Whenever I'm dead I always take the long walk to my corpse and I set the camera angle so that I'm looking at my Warlock rising up against that swirling void. It gives me chills, it's really quite a magical experience. I don't know if there's lasting appeal yet, but so far it's quite good. Of course not exactly the brainfreezes brilliance I had in mind, but the RP-server I was on had nice enough people who were glad to heal you and stuff, and just make it a swell experience for everyone. I already had a few short talks with my teammember in-character about life and death and undeath (we ARE undead after all), but I intend to do that a lot more. Fuck leveling, I just want to have An Experience.

:nuts: You mean, in a roleplaying game? Of course you can roleplay in any game you'd want, but it's ridiculously easy here. I'm really not sure if I understand you... it's just a matter of staying 'in character'. So you never chat like you would on msn, but everything you say you say it as if an undead warlock would say it. You make decisions based on what he would take, react on how you have designed his attitude. You are familiar with the concept of roleplaying? Well, imagine a whole server filled with people pretended they're really from Azeroth. Kind of heightens the experience, don't you think?

I just wanted to know how the servar was different, I just wanted to make sure that it was what I thought it was... :mock:

And you answered my question anyway....

EDIT: What the...! I can't switch realms?!? :eek:

This sucks big time!

Damn. I was thinking I'd probably get round to buying and getting stuck into WoW next month sometime, when I have some free time. But now I'm thinking the Collector's Edition sounds awesome. Missed the boat there. :( Still, maybe I can catch up with you fellow Europeans on there sometime soon.

You should. I've been busy for only two days and already it's destroying my life and work. It's fantastic.

I'm playing on the server named Al'Akir (PvP). We (me and my friends) were planning to go for a RP server, but changed our minds on the release day :) Being on a PvP server adds a bit of extra danger and excitement

Haha, incredible! I went on until 4 o'clock in the night yesterday, long after the majority of the crowd had signed off. I was killing werewolves for hours on end, grew to level 15 and had a great time executing dangerous infiltration missions in enemycrowded areas. Also, it was great to play with Tanu, whom I fear to have left in the dust with this excessive playtime of mine. Not to worry, all is still roleplay and not powerplay. I hope to play with you today again, fellow undead! I'm off to Azeroth shortly!

I actually logged off as level 15 too... Levelled slower now than in the beta though, which is ok, because my char won't be deleted in a few weeks like in the beta... Want to enjoy this and all that :oldman:

Well, after reading up on it, and hearing nothing but positivity, I decided to get WoW, and cancel my subscription to Final Fantasy.

I'm not regretting it for a second.

This is everything I wanted from Final Fantasy...no hanging around waiting for people, plenty of action, lots of things to do, even a roleplaying server. I really dig people getting into the character, to me, that makes up the experience, and makes the game seem all the more immersive and interactive.

This is fantastic, and I can already feeling myself getting withdrawal symptoms from not playing the game for a few hours. I know what I'll be doing when I get home.

I know Final Fantasy was going to get a whole lot better, when I plunged deeper into the game. But to give you an example. I was a Level 25 Red Mage in the game, and then I would have had to go back to level up another job, say Thief or Warrior, all the way from Level 1. Now, bear in mind, to level my character to 25 on Final Fantasy, I spent damn near FOUR DAYS...that's 96 gaming hours, to level my character to that point. I would then have to duplicate that, probably dying...(which penalises you, and makes you lose XP, unlike WOW). I logged out of WoW last night, having played for max five hours, as a Level 7 Paladin, and had more going on in those five hours, than I've had in most of my time with FF.

Darned annoying!!!

Can't wait to get home now. :D

Yes. Life has become a balancing act of constraining my hunger to go online and of getting some work done. It's going pretty well actually. Usually if I've done something monumental (say, finishing an elite quest in a group like this afternoon) I have done enough to make it easy to quit and go work a bit, before hastily returning.

Incidentally, I'm also on Earthen Ring. :D

Though, I don't think a lot of peeps take the roleplaying thing that seriously. :(

As one of the officers of my guild I enjoy a policing duty. I regularly see to it that people in the guild (Dawn of the Forsaken) maintain roleplaying and keep leetspeak to a low. People usually roleplay mediocrily. I want to try harder myself in the future to really play my character.

Likewise Rodi

As I said before, I think it aids the gaming experience a lot more, if you're really into your character. It may seem kind of silly to some, but personally, I get a kick out of talking medievil and all prim and proper with my Paladin. :D

I find hard to act "medievil" with rasta talking trolls, modern contraptions and modern dancing...

I just try to pretend I'm an Undead as best as I can...

It's not even about speaking medieval; I've yet to witness the first person utter "thee" or anything of the ilk. Roleplaying is just a matter of writing/speaking coherent sentences and try to make it a bit atmospheric or even poetic. It doesn't need to be shakespeare. In fact, the Warcraft universe doesn't even have that kind of language. It uses a strange idiosyncrasy of its own. Sometimes it's poetic and mildly medieval, and then there are, indeed, jiving Trolls.