Roderick

General World of Warcraft topic

I'm looking to single first for a while, then maybe form my own guild. But a serious one, on a RP-server. Woohoo. Only Undead allowed ;)

I just joined the european beta today.. wuhuu it's great...

I play as elf hunter - and had total fun untill now... where I got stuck in some cave nearby the second elf city you come to.... the place is a labyrinth... argh...just running around fighting not knowing where the hell I was... supposed to find some items or other.... bah

But what the hell - I played to much already today... but it was fun...

I'm on the eu beta server 13..... if anyone wants to join me....

me out...

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand, I'm playing Final Fantasy XI right now, and I do want to progress with it...but honestly...I can't see the game getting that much more interesting. There's just something about it, that seems a bit overbearing to me. The combat gets on my nerves, it takes bloody ages to level up your character, and you're waiting around for people, to heal up themselves up everytime. As I get deeper into the game, the more it's starting to irritate me.

So, that said, I may cancel my subscription and come over to WoW, as from what I've seen and heard, it looks fantastic!!! Either of you tried both, how did you find both experiences? What would you suggest?

I want to persist with FF XI, I really do, but I really don't think I can be assed. Seems like a lot of time to commit to a game, without getting that much of a reward out of it. I've heard some die hard ff'ers, have played the game for ridiculous amounts of time, like 5,000 to 10,000 hours or something stupid, and they still haven't done everything.

That kinda makes me feel sick...

I'm not the most qualified apostle to speak, but I believe WoW was designed also for the guy who just wants to take in a few hours once in a while, playing casually without getting the feeling you're missing the whole thing. And what can I say? It's Blizzard, there's bound to be a massively rewarding experience tucked in there.

That definately sounds more appealing.

I can see my life slipping away from me, everytime I log into Play Online.

:buyme:

Well it's been a nice 27 hours... I never thought i would do something like this again... The last time was final fantasy 6 (I borrowed it from a friend for two weeks). But it has been pure bliss! Let that be a warning to you! This game is dangerously addicitve! It's sooo much fun! Of course you can also just play for two hours a day and... mwahahahahahahahaa! It's a lie! There is no way anybody who is into gaming is going to get away from this one unmarred! I spent a quater of an hour watching other people interact and pittying them for their ineptitude to enjoy the experience! I wanna live there! Well at least for a while... of course there could be more depth... but then it would get too cerebral. No this game is perfect in it's simplicity, just like any blizzard game. it always amazes me how they just make things work! the solution always seems so simple... anyway! It's great and hunters are the best!

I spent a quater of an hour watching other people interact and pittying them for their ineptitude to enjoy the experience!
I have spent a retarded amount of time in WoW just sitting in the middle of a town or something hanging out. It's kind of insane.
No this game is perfect in it's simplicity, just like any blizzard game. it always amazes me how they just make things work! the solution always seems so simple...
I love and hate that about Blizzard. I love it obviously because they make great games. However, I hate it because it makes game design so easy, and it makes me think stuff like "Man, I could totally make a great game. I mean look how obvious everything is, I could do that." Unfortunately, not the truth. :shifty:
hunters are the best!
Word.

My Report thus far...

My friend bought the game today, and I'm using her 10 day guest pass code to try it out. I'm a level 3 human warrior. I'd have played further, but I spent 45 minutes looking at Java exceptions during the account creation process, so my enthusiasm had waned a bit. Thus far, it feels pretty much like every other MMORPG I've tried :(

Don't play warriors in the beginning, they are aweful! That, if any... among other things..., is the only thing I would throw at blizzard! They failed at the prime requisite, making warrior's fun to play... other classes are way more fun! trust me! :eyebrow:

So, anyone any idea when the servers will be online in Europe? When the bell tolls twelve thursdaynight mayhaps? Or somewhere arbitrarily on friday afternoon, when some guy in France or Germany feels like throwing the switch?

Or somewhere arbitrarily on friday afternoon, when some guy in France or Germany feels like throwing the switch?

Propably that one, but I'm hoping for it to go live at 00:00 French time.

Two more freaking days!! Why, if it weren't for the fact that I had just heard I could very well get kicked out of my house in a few weeks from now, I'd be giddy! :ratched:

I was afraid I wouldn't get my copy before the weekend, but I think I'll be getting it on Friday :woohoo: It's an addictive game ;(

I have it preordered, but my brother in law is going to try to get the Collector's Edition, WITHOUT PREORDERING IT! :nuts:

I'm not even sure I'm gonna get a copy, I doubt he will, but he and a few of his friends will visit all the malls in Madrid in hope to find a copy...

When I DO get my copy, I'm gonna play all weekend non-stop, but I'll take it easy afterwards... (I just want to form my guild as soon as possible)

You probably didn't know, but I had eye laser surgery exactly a week ago, I still see blurry which is normal, I think, but I hope I don't have to play WoW this way.... ;(

I actually think WoW will be playable with minimal sight. The sound design will probably be awesome and intuitive so that you can hear from every chirp and click what you are doing and what's happening.

I didn't preorder either, but because I work at the [soon-to-be] biggest mediachain Mediamarkt in the Netherlands, I'm guaranteed of one. In fact, actually, I'll probably get two. One of them I'll pass on a week afterwards on a dutch online marketplace to reap a higher price. It's the Netherlandic tradespirit I think. I guess it's not that aweful of me, it's only one copy. Not like I'm selling it in bulk or anything. It's highly adventurous of me. I'm scared. Am I a bad person?

I'm a level 3 human warrior.

OK

1) You're only lvl 3 (or you were when you wrote that)

2) You're a warrior - they're not particularly interesting. They get better when you get your second stance and taunt which doesn't take long. I agree that pretty much any other class would be more fun with the exception of the mage. The mages in this game are a HUGE disapointment to me and it makes me sad.

3) You're a Human, pffffft. Try a Night Elf or just about anything other than a human if you wanna go alience. Or try a Tauren or Undead if you go Horde.

I would suggest a dwarven or elven hunter and play it past level 10 (which is when you get a pet)

Booyah! The retail store called me to confirm that my Collector's Edition is there to pick up!

I knew Blizzard was bluffing and that it wasn't that rare after all! :grin:

Look for a Undead Warlock with my username (I doubt someone else will use it) if you want to find me!

But.... I also got a call from Nintendo, my Nintendo DS VIP Edition will arrive soon, maybe even tomorrow or maybe next week...

I hope I can grow more arms by then.... :mock:

Well I know a couple of thousands of people who will miss out on the Collector's Edition :oldman: Oh man I can't wait! Tomorrow morning, half past 9 is the moment! My first character will be an Undead Warlock too, with a name I shall not disclose right now. I'm REALLY looking forward to customizing my avatar. Hopefully there are nigh endless possibilities, so that you don't HAVE to be a punk undead like I've seen so much so far.

Well I know a couple of thousands of people who will miss out on the Collector's Edition :oldman: Oh man I can't wait! Tomorrow morning, half past 9 is the moment! My first character will be an Undead Warlock too, with a name I shall not disclose right now. I'm REALLY looking forward to customizing my avatar. Hopefully there are nigh endless possibilities, so that you don't HAVE to be a punk undead like I've seen so much so far.

Yeah, people who ordered it less than a month ago...

Don't keep your hopes up about customizing your undead avatar, the game is the same as the beta, you only need the CD-Key if you have the beta, so I doubt we will get more customization options with the retail edition...

Now I'm wondering... How do I get my pet Zergling? :mock:

You mean there weren't that much customization options to begin with? I wasn't whining or anything -not hoping for more. I just don't know if there are many choices in the first place. Seems to me to make this thing work you need an extensive list of possibilities to choose from, otherwise everyone will kind of look the same. That'd be a big shame...!

Yeah, people who ordered it less than a month ago...

Don't keep your hopes up about customizing your undead avatar, the game is the same as the beta, you only need the CD-Key if you have the beta, so I doubt we will get more customization options with the retail edition...

Now I'm wondering... How do I get my pet Zergling? :mock:

Once you create your character and appear in the game world, you can look around and there will be a person that lets you choose your pet. I chose the Panda.

You mean there weren't that much customization options to begin with? I wasn't whining or anything -not hoping for more. I just don't know if there are many choices in the first place. Seems to me to make this thing work you need an extensive list of possibilities to choose from, otherwise everyone will kind of look the same. That'd be a big shame...!

Half the zombies are spiked haired and look nearly the same....;(

You can barely notice the skin tone changes or the facial ones, unless you remove your characters jaw....

Once you create your character and appear in the game world, you can look around and there will be a person that lets you choose your pet. I chose the Panda.

Sweet! But only hunters can name them?

I'm gonna go for a Zergling. Diablo is just too much pastiche. It would break the spell. Whereas a Zergling isn't that much different from a Felbeast.

And pity about the low amount of customization. I'd at least liked to have had different skin tones. That musn't have been too difficult to do for Blizzard; they already did that to great effect in Diablo 2, using different auras of colour over magical weapons to differentiate them. I don't want to look like Generic Punkrocker #9053 :deranged: Ah well, I guess it will be the armour, clothing and gadgets that set you apart in the end. I'd like to get a monocle myself :"D

I'm gonna go for a Zergling. Diablo is just too much pastiche. It would break the spell. Whereas a Zergling isn't that much different from a Felbeast.

And pity about the low amount of customization. I'd at least liked to have had different skin tones. That musn't have been too difficult to do for Blizzard; they already did that to great effect in Diablo 2, using different auras of colour over magical weapons to differentiate them. I don't want to look like Generic Punkrocker #9053 :deranged: Ah well, I guess it will be the armour, clothing and gadgets that set you apart in the end. I'd like to get a monocle myself :"D

Since when does it not let you change skin tones? All the characters I've created had like 8 skin tones to choose from.

Since when does it not let you change skin tones? All the characters I've created had like 8 skin tones to choose from.

It's not that you can't change the skin tones, it's that in gameply you can't really tell the difference between the undead skin tones...