Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Seen any good movies lately?

best thing I have the pleasure of "seeing" in the last few weeks has to be the second series of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex... GOD words fail me... I never knew animé could be this good as a series... *shivers delighted*

GitS SAC and the 2nd GIG are the best anime I've ever seen in my life so far.

But also Cowboy Bebop series is just awesome.

And there's a connection between these series, musics by Yoko Kanno, a true master.

Hook was on TV over easter, that's a good film. So was The Dark Crystal I think, now that IS a good one.

Was The Dark Crystal on TV over easter? I can't believe I missed it!

I do have it on a deteriorating videotape because of al the times I have watched it!

It is such a cool film :bomb:

OK. I'm still feeling really strange after seeing Oldboy. What an amazing movie. The camera work was amazing. The acting superb. The art direction was also so damn good. The story was.. well special. I can't describe the feeling. It makes you really think to say the least :)

Time to see chan wook's other movies on vengeance.

I just saw Team America and my tummy still hurts. The first half hour I was in stitches just because of the abnormality of those dolls moving in all their clumisness and stunted fashion. The rest of the movie was carried splendidly by the solid humour and surprising depth.

I never knew I could laugh so hard at a doll vomiting minutes long on screen.

I just saw Team America and my tummy still hurts. The first half hour I was in stitches just because of the abnormality of those dolls moving in all their clumisness and stunted fashion. The rest of the movie was carried splendidly by the solid humour and surprising depth.

I never knew I could laugh so hard at a doll vomiting minutes long on screen.

I thought that movie was crap.

In OLDBOY I love how they shot this entire fight sequence in the corridor in just one take without a stuntdouble for the guy... amazing :clap:

I haven't seen Dark Crystal since I was in elementary school. And even then, it was really late at night on Disney Channel, so I don't remember anything aside from a few blurry images.

I've had every intention of renting and watching it for....two years now. Still haven't quite made it yet....

Although I did just buy and watch Castle in the Sky. I'm becoming dangerously hooked on Miyazaki movies. Anyone else a fan? I need to decide what to watch next (So far I've seen Nausica, Princess Mononoke, and the aforementioned Castle in the Sky).

Although I did just buy and watch Castle in the Sky. I'm becoming dangerously hooked on Miyazaki movies. Anyone else a fan? I need to decide what to watch next (So far I've seen Nausica, Princess Mononoke, and the aforementioned Castle in the Sky).

Are you kidding? The entire Thumbs UK Staff are stupid for Hayao Miyazaki. Watch Spirited Away, although I find it difficult to believe you haven't seen it. Kiki's Delivery Service is also good, and I personally have a soft spot for My Neighbour Totoro. I haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle yet though. I MUST HAVE IT!

All this anime talk reminds me. I need to see Grave of the Fireflies.

All this anime talk reminds me. I need to see Grave of the Fireflies.
That movie is bizarre, in the sense that it used no-doubt thousands of painstaking man hours to do something that could be easily done in any other format, it would've been better on radio.

I thought that movie was crap.

Why? To me the whole movie was like an Electric Six song (which makes me laugh out loud all the time too); a knowing display of parodious bashing through pop culture and Hollywood clichés. Well I guess if you're not into dolls ;)

In OLDBOY I love how they shot this entire fight sequence in the corridor in just one take without a stuntdouble for the guy... amazing :clap:

Actually that scene took 3 days to record. According to IMDB at least.

And surprise, surprise I actually dreamed about oldboy last night... Damn what a movie :)

My Neighbour Totoro is awesome!

The racoon wars is strange but fun too. But primarily watch spirited away. it is awesome.

The racoon wars is strange but fun too.

But they have little furry balls! I just can't handle that. (hah! geddit?)

Did anyone see The Machinist? From the trailer it seems quite interesting, but it also looks freaky. I don't do freaky movies that well so I probably won't see it, but I'm still curious.

The machinist is very good. especially if you like mindfuckers. I very much recommend watching it.

Machinist was great.

Damn Christian Bale is thin in it... :eek:

And what huge a change when compared to what he looks now in Batman Begins.

Machinist was great.

Damn Christian Bale is thin in it... :eek:

Yeah it's amazing how thin he looks. He acutally lost all that weight. he wanted to go lower (to 125 pounds I believe) but his docters didn't allow him to go below 130...

I'm really looking forward to see Howl's Moving Castle. It looks beautiful, like nearly any other Ghibli film.

Also, Triplettes of Bellville was just outstanding.

Any Wes Anderson, Mel Brooks, Hayao Miyazaki, Monty Python, Coen brothers films are great.

Mr. T: Don't forget the upcoming A-Team movie (TBA), fool! :mrt:

Any ...Coen brothers films are great.

Except Ladykillers the shite remake.

The original Ladykillers is a classic.

Just saw Kung Fu Hustle today. Man, that is one crazy cool movie. It is probably debatable as to which is better: Shaolin Soccer or this one, but man, it was a good time. :grin:

Yeah I saw a King Fu Hustle a few weeks ago. I think Shoalin Soccer is still better - KFH is very funny and completely insane, but doesn't feel as focussed. Still worth seeing though.