Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Seen any good movies lately?

Next on my list are...

Saw

The Brown Bunny

The Forgotten

The Aviator

Don't bother to see the aviator in the theatre. It's way too long and boring. Better rent or obtain it otherwise cause thats a movie you'll most likely turn off halfway through.

Last night I watched an anime movie called Wonderful Days that was made in South Korea.

It was one hell of a beautiful movie.

Yeah I liked wonderful day as well, but it was a little too clichéd (however you write that is beyond me)

The plot was the same as so many other anime movies, but the visuals were the best part of it.

2d was perfectly mixed with all the gorgeous 3d, and some effects were quite astonishing. Like the rain scenes in the beginning and at the middle of the movie.

Don't bother to see the aviator in the theatre. It's way too long and boring. Better rent or obtain it otherwise cause thats a movie you'll most likely turn off halfway through.

I'd suggest MAKING SURE you see The Aviator in the theater, to see it on film and really see the colors of Robert Richardson's cinematography, which uses traditional two- and three-strip technicolor processes to get the feel of the time. Plus the production design overflows with details. I've seen it three times.

Has 2046 actually been finished? I saw it at Cannes and was a bit disappointed with the cut, although it was indeed beautiful, as is to be expected. Even with Tarantino as president of the jury, it didn't win anything. Anyway, I never heard that it was actually released. What country did you see it in?

Has 2046 actually been finished? I saw it at Cannes and was a bit disappointed with the cut, although it was indeed beautiful, as is to be expected. Even with Tarantino as president of the jury, it didn't win anything. Anyway, I never heard that it was actually released. What country did you see it in?

Yeah, it's been finished for quite some time now, but it's true that Kar-Wai re-cut it after Cannes. I saw it in Sweden, which means it must've been showing in a lot of other countries as well, I presume.

It's probably my favourite movie from last year. It's amazing.

well I just saw saw :shifty:

It was pretty rubbish, I thought the acting was atrocious and there wasn't even much gore to try and redeem it in any way. There was one or two very short moments that were quite good, the very end was ok.

All in all I wouldn't recomend it.

Christ that doctor was a twat! At the begining of the film he tells the other bloke to use his shirt to get the dictaphone but at the end he doesn't think of using his own shirt to get the phone which is JUST out of reach?

Yeah, no one likes Saw. I'm not even sure why it was distributed.

How many times to they play Nat King Cole singing "The Christmas Song" in the final cut of 2046, by the way?

Most Excellent: Blazing Saddles, The Producers, and Young Frankenstein... most excellent movies. It's hard to choose which I laughed hardest at... I guess Young Frankenstein, since it brought me to tears a few times. Laughter tears, not girly tears. Spirited Away.

Also good: Citizen Kane, especially the bits that reminded me of Grim Fandango... a good movie, but mostly because of the style, because I didn't care much for the story... Oh, and that movie where Bing Crosby is doing Grace Kelly offscreen. And Song for a Raggy Boy.

Mediocre Good: See No Evil Hear No Evil (let down by crude sexual humour, 80's humour, bad humour, and one entire scene where the deaf guy has an entire open conversation with the blind guy, while looking through a pair of binoculars), Team America.

Not good at all: Buster, starring Phil Collins.

Yes, even in Doom.

"I'm so excited about that movie, I'll tell you why. Number one, it's my first rated-R movie and it's a very unapologetic rated-R movie. Not only that, but the monsters are real, they're not CGI. They're made by Stan Winston who did Jurassic Park and Predator and all that. So the monster's got weight and when they're in a scene they're like Aliens! I get to transform and become, I'm going to tell you this right now, the BMFOTP. Know what that means? It means the baddest motherfucker on the planet"

How many times to they play Nat King Cole singing "The Christmas Song" in the final cut of 2046, by the way?

Two or three times. Three, I think. Not sure though.

Two or three times. Three, I think. Not sure though.

It played four times in the cut I saw.

You should definitely see it again, the "final" version. Apparently Wong Kar-Wai wasn't completely satisfied with the cut shown at Cannes (didn't he edit it right up until the moment it was shown?).

I found this quote here

When Wong-Kar Wai's 2046 was unveiled in Cannes last year, as a work in progress, some critics swooned, many scratched their heads, and most ground their teeth at the fact that Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" featured not less than five times. Now completed, recut and four minutes longer, 2046 begins to make some sort of sense - not that it's any more linear - and Nat, mercifully, is down to two plays.

I saw three movies this past week, those Aviator and Million Dollar Baby deals. Both were pretty good...and also saw Easy Rider, which was pretty much awesome.

I just saw Million Dollar Baby too. Interesting movie. Incredible cinematography. I was wondering, does anyone know of a good movie analysis site? It drives me nuts, but I suck at analysing stuff and picking out themes.

Ok, I saw the Aviator. It was quite good but I didn't think much of the insanity. Worth a watch though. I also saw The Forgotten which was pretty much rubbish. I think the alternative ending is slightly better maybe but I really wasn't impressed by this film.

Just went through this thread again for film recommendations, and it made me realize two things:

a) There's a lot of movies I haven't seen.

B) Nick watches a lot of movies.

Just saw Hotel Rwanda finally. This film and No Man's Land make me very sad, and pretty much make me wish UN soldiers had freeze rays and could speak telepathically. Ahem, okay, Hotel Rwanda is pretty damn gripping and excellent. See it. Though I assume it's been seen by everyone by now.

On a different note, is anyone else excited about having two new Terry Gilliam movies to look forward to this year? Something tells me the final cut will soon be accidentally eaten by a frog, or washed away by a casual tsunami. But if nothing of that sort happens, then we're in for a treat. This is a nice website.

No Man's Land was just plain ridiculous... it takes too many cheap and random shots. The whole mine that cannot be deactivated bullshit is bullshit. They could've just put some sort of plank under the lying dude on the pin of the bomb and moved him, then pulled the plank away to neutralize the mine. If they made out of it a more Dr Strangelovesque dark comedy, maybe it would've worked as is. The director relies on stereotypes too much: the Bosnian dude is cool because he wears Converse! :buyme: The Serbian dude is a dork because he wears glasses! There are better movies about this war out there. Pretty Village, Pretty Flame, for example. It relies a lot on loaded, vaguely patriotic, fraternity-inspiring music that may not be familiar to non-SFR-Yugoslavian audiences, but is good in spite of it.

Speaking of movies, this is what I've seen recently:

I ♥ Huckabies :tup: good random movie

Million Dollar Baby :tup: very traditional, solid Holywood

The Producers :tmeh: kinda short, kinda lacking in something

Steamboy :tdown: incoherent exploding cartoon bullshit

Sideways :tup: subtle

Finding Neverland :tdown: there is no movie here

All's Quiet on the Western Front :tup: solid, old movie

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind :tup: the first time I saw it in the theatres I wasn't aware of how messed up everyone in the movie really is

No Man's Land is just a lighthearted and contrived satire. Nothing amazing, but nice. Did you think I was comparing it to Hotel Rwanda? Their only similarity is having UN soldiers in it who are unable to do anything. And that's it. They couldn't be further apart really.

Oh yeah, Finding Neverland. I didn't quite know what to think of that. It kept me mildly entertained while it lasted, but I can't say it really left a lasting impression on me. Since I remember almost nothing about it, I'll just conclude that it was... mostly forgettable. :shifty: