Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Seen any good movies lately?

The Life Aquatic was great, made me go and get all of the older Wes Anderson movies to watch them again. He's probably the only newer director I know by name...besides for Uwe Boll, but for entirely different reasons.

Sadly it was pulled from my theater too fast for me to see it again, so I have to bittorrent a bootleg, for now.

Wong Kar-Wai. Christopher Doyle. Need I say more?

Yes?

Yes?

Oh. Ok.

Well, Wong Kar-Wai is one of my favourite directors. Although he's from, and based in, Hong Kong, most of his movies are more in the European arthouse vein, rather than the typical action movies. All of his films (at least the ones I've seen) are dominated certain themes: unrequited love, identity and alienation in an urban environment (well, Hong Kong), loss and hope. He's made 8 films with Christopher Doyle, an amazing cinematographer, and together they make the most visually stunning/exciting films I've seen. Wong Kar-Wai's certain visual style is unmatched by any other director, in my opinion.

Anyway, watch Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, In the Mood for Love and 2046. Apparently, Quentin Tarantino liked Chungking Express so much that he helped bring it over/publish (?) it in the states. So, you should be able to find it, with Quentin's face over half of the cover.

Anyway, 2046 is a semi-sequel to In the Mood for Love and is more about the memory of a long lost love, and combined with gorgeous women, amazing visuals and a beautiful soundtrack, it's the best film of 2004.

I just saw Kung Fu Hustle and I haven't been this awed with a kung fu action movie since the matrix. Over the top stunts awesome Kung Fu fighting and quirky cartoon humor makes this the best action movie I've seen in a looong time!

Oh man, Steven Chow makes some damn funny movies.

I have to see that Kung Fu Hustle as soon as possible.

Has anyone seen is older movies like Shaolin Soccer, now that was a kickass soccer/kung fu movie!

Hmm, I'm currently, uh... retrieving a movie called 'The Eye'. It's supposed to be one of the scariest movies around. At least, that's what I read in a movie magazine and some Australian dude I met on MSN seems to agree. Anyone seen that movie?

--Erwin

Jian gui? I've seen it - it is a good movie, and it does have some genuinely spooky moments. Not quite as scary as the masterpiece Ringu, but possibly a better plot and some truly horrific disaster scenes. Definately worth watching.

Predictably, hollywood is in the process of an american remake :(

Oh, and another Stephen Chow movie worth watching is God of Cookery. Totally bizzarre but very, very funny.

Shoalin chair-over-the head technique!

I've got The Eye for about a year now, still haven't watched it though.

I think I got the idea to get my hands on it, when I read about it in ragnar tornquist's blog.

The Eye was good enough, but it sadly ends up being a thriller/detective story of sorts around the halfway mark, just after the scariest scene in a horror movie ever, sadly not utilised to its full effect.

The scene in the subway where she realises her mirror reflection isn't her.

In my opinion of course.

I believe a Hollywood studio bought remake rights to it late last year, and there's a sequel for it too which apparently doesn't have much to do with the original.

Edit: Oh yes, Sam Raimi brought the Pang brothers over to the US to direct Scarecrow for his production company. I just hope they won't get stuck making horror movies like Takashi Shimizu and get to make more films like their Bangkok Dangerous.

As for recent movies I've seen, The Quiet Family, a great black comedy from South Korea. My avatar is from the Japanese remake called Happiness of the Katakuris, which wasn't quite as good.

vengeance.jpgoldboy1.jpg

Chan-Wook Park's amazing Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Old Boy.

They're the first two parts of a trilogy (they're not connected in anyway though, except thematically) about revenge. About how revenge breeds revenge and how revenge turn men into monsters. Not the slick revenge seen in Kill Bill though, no - a downward spiral of gritty, ugly, depressing revenge. Uncompromising in a few extremely brutal scenes. Impressive direction, amazing cinematography and great acting.

Just go see them.

I had plans to see Old Boy at a local theatre, but it has already left the theatre...

It seems like an intriguing movie.

Saw A Very Long Engagement today. Jeunet pulls through again. It's really, really good. Of course, when Audrey's in it, however bad it may be, it'll still be enjoyable to watch. :yep:

I just saw the Godfather part 2, thats how behind I am, no time for bizarre Japanese cinema. I heard part three is shit, but I borrowed the whole collection, so I'll watch it anyway.

bah, part 3 is not shit, it just isn't as good as the first two.

The only real problem part 3 has is that it's adopted a self-perpetuating bad reputation. A few people say "eurgh, part 3 is shit! for all these reasons" and then other people who want to have opinions also say "yes it's totally shit cos of what they said". people suddenly start to think that unless they totally slam part 3, no one will take their opinions seriously ever again. before you know it, people who haven't even seen the film are talking about how shit it is and the whole thing escalates into some sort of mythological travesty born out of fire and misery at the dawn of creation.

Watch it, and draw your own conclusions. But after part 2, which is pretty fantastic, you'll probably feel it just can't compete, but then few films can.

bah, part 3 is not shit, it just isn't as good as the first two.

The only real problem part 3 has is that it's adopted a self-perpetuating bad reputation. A few people say "eurgh, part 3 is shit! for all these reasons" and then other people who want to have opinions also say "yes it's totally shit cos of what they said". people suddenly start to think that unless they totally slam part 3, no one will take their opinions seriously ever again. before you know it, people who haven't even seen the film are talking about how shit it is and the whole thing escalates into some sort of mythological travesty born out of fire and misery at the dawn of creation.

Watch it, and draw your own conclusions. But after part 2, which is pretty fantastic, you'll probably feel it just can't compete, but then few films can.

Yeah, just like with 28 Days Later...

Yeah, just like with 28 Days Later...

Exactly. Everyone keeps saying it's good just because the last person did.

bloody bandwagon hopper-ons

the_return_2004_review_middle.jpg

The Return

An impressive debut by director Andrey Zvyagintsev. A minimalistic, suspenseful family drama about two young brothers being reunited with their twelve-year estranged father.

Very intense and evocative. Slow pace, perfect to savour the fucking gorgeous visuals. And the acting is amazing, I'm particulary impressed by the two youngsters.

Just watched I Heart Huckabees and thought it was quite good. Made me laugh anyhows.

Next on my list are...

Saw

The Brown Bunny

The Forgotten

The Aviator

Just watched Constantine yesterday... nice movie visually even though obviously Reeves is all wrong for the lead... But I really digged how some of the design was done... anyway, I don't regret paying money for it so it can't be that bad