Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Seen any good movies lately?

I know I have :)

I saw The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou which is an amazing spoof on jaques coustea and at the same time a great story about family life and love. It's from the same people that made rushmore and the royal tenenbaums. IT's even got most of the cast from those 2 movies aswell.

I also saw Finding Neverland which also blew me pretty much away. Johnny depp and kate winslet in one movie = win I tell you!.

The next movie I saw was national treasure which was a load of crap with nicolas cage in it. don't see it unless you want to switch off your brain and eat popcorn.

And finally I saw garden state. Go watch this movie people. this is hands down the best movie I have seen this last year. (next to eternal sunshine and life aquatic)

Haven't seen it myself, but my brother says that Sideways is absolutely incredible, and his favorite movie from last year.

uh... I can't think of any current movies that I've seen that've been that great. I watched The Marx Brothers' A Night at the Opera tonight, but I don't think that counts. I've also watched a ton of classics over the past few weeks like Citizen Kane, Once Upon a Time in the West, Dr. Strangelove, etc.

Garden State is brilliant.

The Incredibles is just as good the second time round.

Team America is funny.

House of Flying Daggers I found pretty disappointing. It's not half as visually rich as I was expecting... the dance with the drums is cool but it pretty much goes downhill from there, and the plot is as convoluted as it is predictable. The dialogue was, well the subtitles were pretty hammy - "Are you for real?" -, but I suspect the original lines aren't especially good either. The combat gets old pretty fast as they don't really do anything interesting with it and the ending is just, well...

stupid.

No, if you want to see a good martial arts film, go see Hero. The trailer suggests little more than some epic ass-kicking, but it totally surprised me. Beautiful film.

Also rather good: A Series of Unfortunate Events

I saw The Aviator a few days ago partially on Jake's recommendation and it kicked my ass. Man, holy crap. After Gangs of New York I didn't know what to expect from Scorsese but he pulled through with this one. Geez.

I still really want to see Sideway; I hope I get a chance before it leaves theatres.

Have you guys seen the trailer for Sin City? It looks quite awesome. :tup:

I saw the first shown footage of the film at Comic-Con, and I've been watching that trailer constantly since it came out, and I still can't decide if the movie looks retarded or awesome. I'm a big fan of Frank Miller's original comics and I think he and Rodruiguez have done about as accurate a job as one can turning a comic into a movie (at least visually, since I'm just going on the trailer), but I hope that in this case "good adaptation"="good movie".

Yeah, I can't wait for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Wes Anderson rules.

I'm going to catch Team America: World Police this coming weekend too. It's just come out here in the UK. I was excited by the trailer, but I'm kind of wondering whether it will be awesome just for having puppets doing all the dumb patriotic action movie stuff, playing it straight, or whether the novelty of that will wear off. There may well be more to it, and I'm actually rarely disappointed by the South Park guys, so I'm hopeful, but also prepared for it not to totally rock my socks.

Hmm, what else? I think you can never see The Incredibles enough times.

Did anyone see 'The Terminal ' with Tom Hanks?

It's about this guy, from a fictional Eastern European country, who can't leave the airport because his country isn't officially recognized anymore after a war broke out. So he's stuck in the terminal for an undefined period of time. So after a while he starts to adapt and sets up residence in the airport.

Quite an original concept, based on a similar situation on an airport in Paris. Directed by Steven Spielberg, by the way.

--Erwin

last movie i saw at the theatres was ong bak, real nice martial arts! apart from that i tend to see more and more movies only after they've been released on dvd... the whole going to see a movie thing is too much of a hassle for me in most cases... the incredibles [die unglaublichen?!?!?wtf?] was pretty awesome, haven't had that much pure fun at the movies in a long time, if ever, probably also because i am a huge fan of those old sixties movies and there were like tons of homage in that one... even music from goldfinger if i am not mistaken! apart from that one can always watch anything by or with takeshi kitano, he rocks my world! so artistic...

...my head is made out of candy... where is the nice man with the bang,bang?...

...also i think knives are a good idea...

EDIT: oh yeah and I am pretty excited to see Viktor von Doom finally realized in a life-action movie, though I am afraid that the movie is going to be pretty sucky... (the fantastic four that is)

I thought it was an interesting film, but it didn't really grab me. One thing totally cracked me up though...

See, this is Cracosia *puts bag of chips on table*

- pause for effect -

*WHAM!* (smashes bag of chips)

I've really only been watching classics lately. In fact, the last movie I saw that wasn't from the 80s or earlier was either Bubba Ho Tep or Hellboy. But the trailer for Sin City looks pretty cool and I've started looking for trade paper backs of the series since Frank Miller is a pretty good writer and I'll know how accurate of an adaption it is.

Bubba Hotep! Almost forgot about that one... Senior Elvis (no, not dead) and black JFK fight The Mummy.

Awesome.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Napoleon Dynamite

Sahun of the Dead

American Psycho -- granted, not a new one but I saw it recently

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle -- too bad I wasn't stoned either time I saw it

And more!

Probably the only movie that I have been dragged to unwillingly and yet sill enjoyed was the utter oddity that is Oceans 12. It's a half assed sequel only created for the money that knows it's a half assed sequel, and continually parodies itself. The plot takes the kind of stupid plot turns (like a character that wants to be known as the MASTER THEIF) done in the kind of style of an old film back when people weren’t already burnt out on that kind of stupidity. And, because no one has used that kind of plot in years, it works.

I can’t say I recommend it, because it doesn’t really try to do anything all that effecting or worthwhile. But, never the less, I liked it.

I've really only been watching classics lately. In fact, the last movie I saw that wasn't from the 80s or earlier was either Bubba Ho Tep or Hellboy. But the trailer for Sin City looks pretty cool and I've started looking for trade paper backs of the series since Frank Miller is a pretty good writer and I'll know how accurate of an adaption it is.

Frank Miller is a pretty good writer but his art in Sin City is incredible. The stuff that guy does with shadows is out of control. He often doesn't use any kind of outline at all, leaving everything to be entirely defined by silhouette. It's gorgeous work.

I'm sorry but garden state was rubbish. It started off well and then just kind of dwindled off into a boring chick flick. That ending was appalling.

The Life Aquatic is one of the best films I've seen lately.

Napoleon Dynamite was good.

Anchorman was pure gold.

Bubba Ho Tep was funny liked that one.

Harold and Kumar was pretty much just like dude where's my car with less stupid but also less likable characters.

Incredibles I thought was great and kinda made me want to start playing City of Heros again.

Ong Bak I watched again recently which has some good fight scenes.

Next on my list is Hotel Rwanda

I've heard little about The Life Aquatic, but I hear Bill Murray's in it and that's always a movie-saver even if the movie itself sucks.

Sin City looks to be fantastic, artwise.

The last movie I saw was a press screening of the Japanese Casshern, a completely over-the-top industrial science fiction movie with mecha, bionic heroes and Shakespearian villains. It's the debutmovie of a Japanese videoclip director, so that should tell you enough about how it's a visual rollercoaster of ideas. It isn't always very good (at times it's even disappointingly sloppy), but the moments that Casshern dares to go completely over the top with opera-esque acting are great. An interesting movie, worth looking into.

My brother got engaged on Friday and afterwards he and his new fiance went to see A Very Long Engagement. He says it's quite good, the movie that is. :shifty: Also, it's sort of funny, they're probably not going to get married till, at the earlist, May of next year, so they've got a decently long engagement themselves.

I saw The Motorcycle Diaries this week and Garden State last week. I've seen about a dozen others too, but in comparison aren't worth mentioning. You must see them. Must. See. Them.

/me makes a list of the ones recommended thus far. :tup:

Sideways was ok, quite enjoyed it. I think it would go down well with the older crowd.

Bad Santer I thought was pretty funny, but then I enjoy stuff like that every so often.

Closer wasn't very good in my opinion. Pretentious and just not particularly great.

The Villiage I thought was good. I liked the monsters. Although it wasn't scary it was fine to watch and a few things were left unanswered.

Hotel Rwanda I thought was very good, quite heavy in places.

That's the update for now, maybe more to come in the near future.

I went to Helsinki last weekend, and I saw there A Very Long Engagement (Un Long Dimanche Fiancailles), the newest Jeunet movie.

Man, it was awesome.