Sign in to follow this  
Salka

What's with the bad weather?

I know my house is a scary place to be right now. We're getting 100mph winds, which is windy. Perhaps you get that the whole time where you live, but I'm not used to it. And neither is this house. Or the electricity and telegraph poles.

And I heard California is getting it pretty bad as well. Last I heard, there was a 1,000 mile wide storm just off the coast of San Francisco, heading inland. I'll bet that wasn't a whole lot of fun for you guys.

And it snowed in Texas or something, or San Andreas, or wherever Kingz lives. I believe it's an island.

It seems like we're all getting particularly shit/extreme weather this year. I don't remember it ever being quite this bad before. As I type this, I'm wondering what the crashing sounds outside are; the roof of the adjacent building, or a tree falling in to the yard.

We've had quite a storm last weekend, that started Thursday, but now the weather is fine.

It's still weird, though, because it's supposed to be freezing here. Or raining. But we've had Spring-like weather for weeks (minus the stormy days). Today it was a very mild day, 11 degrees Celsius.

--Erwin

"On second thoughts, maybe this is a bad time to mention that," Ninja said thoughtfully, as he edited his post and removed the bit about the wave.

Yeah.

Still, the point stands. :shifty:

I was thinking kind of in general by the way, then my mind caught up with my posting...

Sounds like someone's been reading their Crichton...
If that's directed at me, I really don't know what you're talking about.

Am I accidentally quoting the guy or something? ... cause I've never read any of his work.

If that's directed at me, I really don't know what you're talking about.

Am I accidentally quoting the guy or something? ... cause I've never read any of his work.

Crichton's latest book (State of Fear) implies that global warming was made up to scare people into supporting the environmental movement. (although he's very careful to not actually say that)

Oh dear.

Fast forward a hundred years as our gas-mask wearing grand-children exclaim: "Thank you, Michael Crichton. Thank you very fucking much."

preachy post about evil corporations and shit

The environment is pretty much fucked either way, but I wouldn't mind still breathing oxygen in a few decades.

preachy post about evil corporations and shit

The environment is pretty much fucked either way, but I wouldn't mind still breathing oxygen in a few decades.

Yeah, I gave up a career in environmental science when it became apparent that no-one was going to get their act together in time to make a difference. It was like trying to explain to a wall why it should move, in-between bashing your head against it. It all got too depressing, so I quit for the escapist realm of the video games industry.

Note to aliens: this planet is fucked. Try again in a few million years time when the biosphere has recovered and the humans are gone.

Err... what does global warming have to do with that?
Plenty. If the temperature goes wonky, everything goes wonky. That said, I was more talking about the environment going to hell in general with that comment. Global warming is just one of many issues that need dealing with yesterday and are all being $ystematically ignored. :clap:

Plenty. If the temperature goes wonky, everything goes wonky. That said, I was more talking about the environment going to hell in general with that comment. Global warming is just one of many issues that need dealing with yesterday and are all being $ystematically ignored. :clap:

More specifically.. certain environmentalists believe that an increase in CO2 levels cause the Earth to retain more heat, thus causing global warming. The root cause of CO2 excess is claimed to be automobile and factory emissions, despite overwhelming evidence that this is merely a part of a cycle that takes place every couple of thousand years. Therefore our gas-mask wearing grandchilren will thank this Michael character for underestimating the effects of CO2 emissions on global warming, because other harmful chemical emissions come along with the CO2 and undershadowing any of these emissions will undershadow all of them as a whole as well.

Right...

Who sponsored that research... Haliburton?

The hole in the Ozone layer, is that a cycle too? We'll die of skin cancer in cycles?

The exact details have long since faded from my mind but if you're on about what I think you are... that, what little natural effect there is, is completely dwarfed by our magnificent knack for environmental destruction.

Meanwhile, the biggest polluter and consumer of natural resources in the world just happens to also be the one that argues the loudest that there is no problem at all. How entirely ironic. :chaste:

damn i had this really nice poem about the end of the world....

anyway if i remember correctly then more than 60 percent of the current global warming is caused (not by industry or cars) but rather by methane! it's shit that is dragging this whole planet down the drain... how ironic

and then there's the one where petroleum emmisions in fact help the rainforests, and the big chunk of them that disappeared has been rejuvenated in the last 20 years or so, because they feed on our waste.