Tanukitsune

MMORPG dilema!

I've recently been in a few MMORPG betas, and I'm finally ready for my first "full" fledged one, the problem is..... I'm not sure what to do....

I've been in the City of Heroes Beta and I'm certainly having fun, but I REALLY want to play World of Warcraft, I could get both, but.... is it a good idea?

I have my job, and I usually have more games than I have time to play, but I could afford an hour a day, and even more the weekend...

Would you advise someone to play two MMORPG at the same time? AFAIK they have the same release date...

EDIT: Speaking of the devil, a friend of mine gave me his serial key for the WoW European beta! It's 2.1GB of download, but it should be worth it! :eyebrow:

Never ever think about it.

You play one MMORPG or none at all but you never play two at one.

Ok, you have a job so you dont mind paying 2 fees each month ( i am only a poor student). Another point is that once you are in the game you do not really want to stop playing it anymore. So trying to play two MMORPGs at the same time might cause mental illness like a split of character or so ;)

Agreed. There are guys at work who pay sunscriptions to more than 1 MMORPG at the same time, but when they started playing the second one, the first one really died. I think they just don't want to stop paying because that would be turning their back on the 30+ hours a week of progress they've put in over the past several months. Since you never really finish an MMORPG, there's never really a good time to stop... except for when you pick up another one!

Oh well, if I have to choose only one of them, I'd go for World of Warcraft, it's a shame to lose my CoH character, I was the only pirate (called Scurvy Seadog) in a city full of "tights and capes".... :mock:

WoW owns CoH like nothing else ever has owned anything.

And yeah, so what, first post.

The major thing that sucks about WoW is that Bliz isn't handling the MMO community very well. :frusty:

Check out the forums @ worldofwarcraft.com before you run out and buy the game, but the game itself beats the living shit out of CoH.

OK.

I played CoH for a long time on the US servers. I switched over to CoH from Planetside and found that there was no way to play both which was a shame. Now I've been playing the WoW beta and fun as CoH is I am without a doubt going to be switching WoW (I pretty much already have).

CoH is a brilliant concept and the amuont of customisation is immense which is what originally grabbed me. But WoW just seems bigger and more in depth. I liked the not-in-depth-ness of CoH at first but now at the later levels it seems too much like a grind. And the PvP they're going to introduce to make WoW like WC3 on a bigger scale I think will put the icing on the cake.

Battlegrounds

Maybe I'll check out CoH again when they release City of Villians.

Alledgedly WoW has a shorter life-span than other MMOs, due to fast levelling and so on (whether this is true or just another faction of whinging Blizzard forum kids remains to be seen). If it is true then you could play WoW for a few months before switching to CoH (by which time City of Villains will be released).

Alledgedly WoW has a shorter life-span than other MMOs, due to fast levelling and so on (whether this is true or just another faction of whinging Blizzard forum kids remains to be seen). If it is true then you could play WoW for a few months before switching to CoH (by which time City of Villains will be released).

I suspect this will be somewhat improved with the Battlegrounds PvP content, which is partially intended for high-level players. Blizzard has also announced that they plan to create more high-level instances and other content.

Yep, have to agree. It may be that leveling is fast but really that's a good thing as it keeps things fresh and interesting and it also seems that there's alot to do in WoW even after you've hit the level cap.

Not to mention, I suspect most people that have already hit the level cap are hardcore gamers who are spending more time than most can. I've been playing for a couple weeks now and in that time one of my friends who was level 52 is now just 54. Even if he kept raising at a steady pace he won't be 60 for two more months, except that it's not a steady pace and the higher he gets the longer it will take. He said he's planning on hitting 60 at about mid-April. He's been playing since launch (and playing pretty regularly) so that's at least five months for a top-level character, not allowing for taking time off due to a busy schedule or what have you. That's not bad. That long from now Blizzard will surely have more content (Battlegrounds is coming in the next couple weeks for one). And if you run two characters simultaneously (like I'm doing now), it'll be even longer before you ever have to worry about not having high-level content.

I'm seriously considering taking my first MMO plunge with World Of Warcraft when it starts to retail in Europe. I guess it will probably have to be about the only game I play for a while though, as I'll need to devote all my gaming free time to it to justify the monthly fees.

By the way, does it have a set release date in the UK yet? And will it come with a free month?

If you're going to try out an mmorpg, it might as well be World of Warcraft. It's probably the best mmorpg I've ever played, gamespot gave it game of the year, and pc gamer and Penny Arcade both said it was awesome.

also there are plenty of things to do once you hit the level cap and they are going to keep adding more... check out the onyxia dragon quest ... eek!

release - feb some time, free month? Yes i believe so.

I was in the WoW beta for quite a while before release in the us (prolly about august time) and while its a real good MMO i wont be playing it on Euro release as i already got to lvl 60 with 2 characters, and had a lvl 25 character in open beta.

However, i did have a point. and that point is

being someone who has played every MMO you care to mention (yes, thats true ive tried every MMO out there) choose one. Dont try and split your time between a few, or you just end up being behind in all of them.

and play eq2, cos it looks phat.

The main problem that the first EQ had (besides it being all grind and no game) was the players. The worst script kiddy H4x0r types on the internet flocked to EQ. Somehow I think they'll also be playing EQ2 now.

The main problem that the first EQ had (besides it being all grind and no game) was the players. The worst script kiddy H4x0r types on the internet flocked to EQ. Somehow I think they'll also be playing EQ2 now.

Don't all online MMORPGs have a program like Nprotect or some other program to detect or prevent this kind of stuff?

Although I've seen games with this program infested with script kiddies too... :shifty: