Jake

Psychonauts box art

I don't think the text is too high, actually. It's located on an uninteresting part of the background.

Right, so they need to arrange the backround such that the text can be placed lower.

Looks bizarrely amateur ;( The logo doesn't sit well with the background picture at all and the "A psychic adventure..." tag line looks really poorly laid out ;(

Still, it's not terrible!

It's not bad, it just needs tweaking. It's probably not the finished version, as somebody else said. I like pretty much everything about it except the spacing of a few things, and that should be a pretty simply job for Double Fine. I don't doubt that they'll keep at it until it's perfect.

Right, so they need to arrange the backround such that the text can be placed lower.

Well, yeah. They'd have to redesign the entire box, but that's not the point. The title is at the right place, considering the current, entire, design.

--Erwin

Looks bizarrely amateur ;(
Please create boxart of equal or greater quality. Your deadline is Monday.

Please create boxart of equal or greater quality. Your deadline is Monday.

It wouldn't take long. Be aware, I'm NOT talking about the background painting, just the layout and colours of the stuff on top of it. I could take a crack at it if you like, so long as someone has the original artwork and logo somewhere?

The reason that the characters from both Psychonauts and The Incredibles look so alike is that they both use the same design philosophy, which is the idea that if you're going to animate a human character, make it look as weird as possible. Psychonauts is more weird looking, but it definitely is more interesting to look at than most realistic characters (see Shrek, and just about every Dreamworks animated charicter).

TP you're entirely right about the layout being a bit amateur looking. Majesco doesn't seem to have the best designers, that or they're allowed to put up work that isn't refined enough. The illustration is great though. I guess you're right on two counts :)

I got bored and made a slightly modified version. I know, I know, shut up. I couldn't help myself. I have a sordid history with box art mockups.

psycho5.jpg

Still not ideal but something kinda more like that maybe would offend me less at least.

Also anyone remember this logo from the early Microsoft Psychonauts days?

psyclassic.jpg

I miss it. Note Raz's similar pose though.

Jake's version kicks ass.

Anyway, question; is it the publisher or developer that actually DESIGNS the packaging?

I bet the game would sell better if it was officially named "The Excellent Game Psychonauts." Oh, and if the box featured more explosions.

The publisher usually has last say, and usually does the graphic design. Or rather, usually outsources it to a design company. That said, the actual illustration work for the cover seems to be oftentimes done by the development team itself. Not always (see: the original US box to Broken Sword 3, and the box to Escape from Monkey Island - two shitty boxes I'm overly familiar with).

Hmm... I just e-mailed Majesco and this is what they had to say.

Hi Peter. Actually that is the final box art that we have on the site--we wouldn't have posted it otherwise. Although I don't agree with you regarding logo placement I can tell you that DoubleFine did the entire box art on their end. Typically publishers, not developers, complete the art but in this case and given the strength of the DF art team, it made total sense. We very much like it at Majesco...

Make sure you're registered on the site because we're working on a big build out right now and our first newsletter. Launch date is in April.

Thanks for your note!

EMI is without a doubt the ugliest LucasArts box I have in my possession.

--Erwin

Are we talkin' PC box or Region 1 PS2? Because they both offer a different variety of unrelenting ugliness.