Sign in to follow this  
Jaero

Battle for Middle-earth Review

Well, there's a crappy scoring system just like the ones I always whine about, and certainly not enough demonizing of EA... but the 7-page review of this stupid game is thorough, and not a book report like many other sites write. Eh... I'm just posting it here because someone was interested in reading it. I'm proud of it only because I think it's well-writen, and fills a nice little action bullet on my skimpy resume.

http://www.warcry.com

My brother-in-law gave me this for Chanukah. I can't wait to play it.

...but first I have to finish Pirates, which is like digital crack.

Finish it? How does that happen? Do you mean beating every pirate, finding every treasure, finding all your family, etc. in one career? That's hardcore.

Finish it? How does that happen? Do you mean beating every pirate, finding every treasure, finding all your family, etc. in one career? That's hardcore.

I consider defeating Montlebaum beating the game, since that's the ultimate goal.

I'm terrible at efficiently finishing games. Hitman 2, I never advanced a level until I got a perfect "Silent Assassin" score in the current level. I'm too hardcore and perfectionist for my own good.

good review ... a little too "im a hardcore tolkien fan talking about how inaccurate BfME is" at some points but you also got your gameplay related points across very well, so thumbs up on the review.

SiN

I don't mean to boil it down to a score, but 8.5 isn't so bad. You made it seem like you were hating the game... :yep:

Off to read the review...

good review ... a little too "im a hardcore tolkien fan talking about how inaccurate BfME is" at some points but you also got your gameplay related points across very well, so thumbs up on the review.

SiN

To be honest, you kind of have to take faithfulness into account when reviewing a Lord of the Rings game. There's a price you pay for making money from such a canonical licence.

...Is canonical a word?

I'm terrible at efficiently finishing games. Hitman 2, I never advanced a level until I got a perfect "Silent Assassin" score in the current level. I'm too hardcore and perfectionist for my own good.

Crap, I'm still playing it! It's good, it's good! It's just that I haven't been in that elegantly deadly sexy Hitman mood in weeks. It's like sushi, I love it but I have to crave it. Left off at the start of the Hidden Valley mission (Hiayamoto Sr.). I too prefer the Silent Assassin rating.

Well, I didn't score it as well as I could have. I dislike scores altogether, so I wasn't too thorough with them. The review is what really matters. As far as being more "Tolkienist" than is needed, tell me where else you might find such a perspective. TheOneRing.net maybe (they attended the Community Day event too), but they may not review it at all. They were there, as well as the manager of Tolkien-Online.com, because EA wanted to bring those perspectives in. It does matter.

Many other Tolkien-related entertainment sites view LOTR-based games as gifts, and are happy with whatever they are handed. I used to manage Warcry's Middle-Earth site (covered all LOTR-licensed games), and many of the viewers are first devoted to the lore, and to the games second. I honestly could have railed for seven pages only about matters of lore, so it's hard for me to imagine what I did include as being too much.

Hitman 2 I never finished, as I got swept away in other games. Knights of the Old Republic took me weeks to finish doing every subquest, both the paths of Light and Dark, all classes, skills, powers, etc... I'm the bane of my own existence. And how!

Yes, canonical is a word. :innocent: