ysbreker

Rockstar loves us? Aparently so: GTA2 giveaway!

Look what I got in the mail:

As the adage goes, there is no greater joy than the gift of giving.

So then it's not entirely selfless that we're once again continuing the tradition of giving away an entire game from the Rockstar library to you.

Simply head on over to www.rockstargames.com/classics, fill out the form fields, follow the instructions, and you can download a fully optimized PC version of GTA2 absolutely free.

Yes, GTA2. The 2nd proper installment in the Grand Theft Auto lineage, originally released in 1999. The one that introduced the concept of multiple rival gangs vying for your attention and criminal work-for-hire. The Yakuza, Scientists, Looneys, Rednecks, Zaibatsu, Russian mob and Hare Krishnas. Gouranga!

This late 20th century top-down classic is now available to you all in the form of a 350MB downloadable .zip, courtesy of Rockstar Games.

www.rockstargames.com/classics

A nice christmas present from rockstar! Enjoy :)

That's cool. GTA used to be a completely different game, one I think I might even like better than the 3D iterations. People should play it.

Yeah, I played the original GTA a lot when it was fresh... Anyone remember GOURANGA? :grin: I never really got that far into GTA2, though... Tried playing it a few months back, but it wasn't compatible with Windows XP, so I'll definitely try this one :) (they modified it to be compatible with xp)

I don't remember IDKFA. But I don't think I used cheats much. Sometimes I wish I could turn back time to about when GTA1 was released. Those were some great times. I was kind of involved in the modding scene too. I was going to create a new programming language to make mission scrips easier to write... The fromat they were in was worse than BASIC. But I never got near completing it.

Talking about cheatcodes: anyone remember IDKFA? :)

at least that one stood for something (iD killer f*cking ammo or somesuch). The no clipping one was damn hard to remember, something like idpispopd. Bleeeargh.

gta2 was the best game in the entire series in terms of pure gameplay.

while gta3+ are all awesome, nothing beats that overhead view for planning/manouvering an escape from the cops ... also, the missions in gta2 were rather cool, quite varied.

if u havent tried gta2, u DEFINITLY need to give it a shot!

SiN

I believe noclip was idspispopd: smashing pumpkins into small pieces of putrid debris. Not so tricky after all. :)

GTA2 was cute, but ultimately a steamin' pile of shit. You didn't know where you were going, ever, because the ever-so-lauded top-down view, in its immense wisdom, prevented you from anticipating anything that wasn't in your immediate proximity. It was like playing one of the newer GTA games by having the whole screen covered with a paper bag -- except for the little map in the corner -- a wee flap would be cut out from the paper bag to allow you to see the dinky map. Oh, the joy! The newer games are just crap compared with the purity, the RAW PURITY of the olden ones! Ah, how I cherish looking at my avatar's bald spot while I'm trying to figure out which way I'm facing and from which way the cops are gonna come to kill me...

:( :( :(:frusty:

Talking about cheatcodes: anyone remember IDKFA? :)

Who doesn't?

Remember the Konami Code? :gaming:

I usually feel guilty even downloading these completely legal games, yet I might get this one since I have the PSOne version of it...

I've been trying aswell btu I can't seem to connect to the site :/

I wish they used bittorrent :/

I usually feel guilty even downloading these completely legal games, yet I might get this one since I have the PSOne version of it...

There is something serriously fucking wrong with you.

There is something serriously fucking wrong with you.

I'm a bloody game collector, I usually only accept the "real thing"... :shifty:

Hmmm....

Still having trouble getting through, and have yet to find an alternate link. Anybody able to play yet? And does anybody recall if GTA2 had multiplayer?

Cheers!

Yeah, I remember trying to play it with some of my friends over LAN. Everyone was out of sync, though, so I'm not sure the quality of the netcode is any good :shifty:

I think they have messed up something, I've heard that no one has been able to dl the game.

Yeah, I remember trying to play it with some of my friends over LAN. Everyone was out of sync, though, so I'm not sure the quality of the netcode is any good :shifty:

I think you may be thinking of GTA1. I have played GTA2 in multiplayer over the Internet and it worked pretty well (though it paused occasionally).

It's also truly hilarious in multiplayer. There is nothing quite like trying to flamethrow your opponent to a crisp while being chased by a million cops.

I'm a bloody game collector, I usually only accept the "real thing"... :shifty:

That dosen't explain why you would feel guilty for accepting something for free when the owner gives you permission AND you already paid for it. Along that logic, one would feel guilty for downloading patches. And god forbid demos.

That dosen't explain why you would feel guilty for accepting something for free when the owner gives you permission AND you already paid for it. Along that logic, one would feel guilty for downloading patches. And god forbid demos.

It's not free if I payed fot it... :erm:

I don't see what you're getting at all... :hmph:

Listen, I'm not one of those strick collector's that ONLY accpets the real thing, I just prefer it...

If a magazine comes with a game I want, that's just peachy! It came in a box of cereals? Dandy! I downloaded it from the internet? Well, it's just not the same...

I always prefer to have the game in a DVDcase, not the hard drive....

I do have download only games like HL 2 Gold, so I'm not against that...

It's just that I I actually like to put some effort in getting the game, or at least a challenge...

Demos and patches? I download lots of demos each week and I even have a couple free advergmes too...

I'll ask you a question: who would you think is the better collector, a person who spent a lot of time browsing Ebay and other onine stores in search of rare games or one who just visited an abandonware site and downloaded all the files there? They would both have the same games, but only one of them would be a real collector...

I would fell guilty as a collector for downloading a free game, not guilty in a "OH NO! I'm going to jail for this!" way... :shifty: