Sign in to follow this  
SiN

Unity is no more

was on the llamasoft forum earlier today ... it seems Unity has been canned. :(

fuck, im SO sad about this ... first sam&max and then Unity ... innovation & creativity have officially died.

the odd thing is though, im no sad in the sense that "shit, ill never get to play unity", its more like, "damn, there goes our last hope at a great indy game"

i should have seen it coming when yak didnt update his blog for months, but i thought he was in crunch mode ... the final touches were being put onto the game, but alas, there'll be no more psychedelic shooting for a while.

its a pity really, and thats the second game lionhead has cancelled ... they seem to be trimming their fat, and i totally understand why unity had to be canned, i just wish it didnt have to happen.

comments?

SiN

ps : heres the link

Sam & Max 2 is innovation?

not innovation, but certainly creativity.

SiN

Not even that; but certainly an offbeat crowd-pleaser.

are we talking about sam&max or unity?

unity IMO, was not only creative, it was innovative too. and to top it all off, it was definitly a crowd pleaser. yak apparently took it to some raves, got it on a projector w/ wireless gamepads ... the people over there were amazing and had a blast playin around with it.

wish i had seen it in real action before it got canned

SiN

Unity was going to be the game from Jeff Minter/Llamasoft. Minter says he has two passions in life : shooters and lightsynths. This was going to be the "unity" of the two.

Essentially, it was a shoot-em-up, but based in a completely dynamic world. All the textures were procedural, which means that they were computer generated. Not only that, but they were created on-the-fly, and you'd be able to control how the game looked and felt using the controllers. Depending on what you did, the world would change, right then and there. It was so impressive that many people didn't even intend to play the game ... they just wanted a great lightsynth, and Unity was going to be the best.

But I feel that the real problem with Unity was that nobody really knew what the gameplay was going to be like. Yak said there would be several different types of shooters in the game or something ... so you'd have your tunnel sequences, side-scrolling sequences and free-form sequences. It would be standard-fare Jeff Minter style fast paced shooting.

If you need some sort of comparison, I'd say Unity would be similar to Rez, except alot more dynamic (even the enemies were created procedurally & on-the-fly!) and with alot more variety/replay value.

SiN