Sign in to follow this  
Jaero

The NRA pries a video game from the industry's COLD DEAD HANDS! Yay.

I guess I can add this email to the long list of crappy perks that come with working at a game news site... :frusty:

Dear Game Enthusiast,

Speedco Shooting Sports, Inc. is pleased to report the release of its second game, NRA Varmint Hunter. This simulator-style computer game features all the real-world elements of an actual varmint hunt.

Players can shoot both eastern and western varmints (ground hogs, prairie dogs and an occasional coyote) in their natural terrains. Be it the open fields of the Midwest or the rolling hills of Pennsylvania, the locations featured in NRA Varmint Hunter are true representations of the actual hunting locations found across the U.S. With the help and close cooperation of The Varmint Hunters Association, the game is as realistic as possible and offers a great introduction into this fast growing sport.

The animal behavior has been modeled in the most realistic way utilizing the expertise of serious hunters. The elusive targets are cute, but not too cute, and provide even the most inexperienced hunter a true hunting challenge.

The scientists and programmers at Speedco have effectively modeled the ballistics of firearms, including internal ballistics (the action of powder burning), external ballistics (the flight of the bullet) and the environment (wind, temperature, humidity, recoil). The game also allows the shooter to choose from many calibers, including several wildcats. Bullet types from major manufacturers are offered, as well as a number of different powder types. You can use the much improved factory firearms and ammunition, or reload, and develop “fine tuned” loads, optimizing the accuracy of your selected firearm.

All Speedco games will feature online play. This will allow anyone with a Speedco game to play against anyone else anywhere in the world that has the game and access to the Internet. This feature not only allows for the ultimate head-to-head competition, but also creates the opportunity for group and league play. It’s all included in the NRA Varmint Hunter game!

NRA Varmint Hunter is the first of 15 NRA licensed titles. The National Rifle Association was instrumental in the development of this game and supplied a great deal of the educational and safety materials necessary to bring the project together. There are three releases scheduled for 2005, NRA High Power Competition (Spring 2005), NRA American Big Game Hunter (Fall 2005) and NRA Air Gun Competition (Mid 2005). There will be a minimum of 2 games released each year, thereafter.

925344.jpg

If a 'varmint' is "One that is considered undesirable, obnoxious, or troublesome", does that mean we can skullfuck Charlton Heston?

I don't see how anyone can seriously use the term varmint (no offense to any possible Varmint Hunters here - and I'm really astounded there's such a thing as the Varmint Hunters Association) without sounding completely fucking stupid.

I got that press release too and almost posted on Idle News about it...

What about it looks like a hoax? There are lots of games like this; they're mainly just an extension of Deer Hunter. It's a real game.

I was merely pointing out my disbelief that anyone could possibly make a game like this.

Now, minutes after the horrible truth dawned on me, I still find it hard to beleive.

There are actually dozens of games very similar to this. Most of them just don't sell in mainstream gaming retailers.

Yarr. It was fun in such serious games as "Redneck Rampage". Cold Dead Hands not required.

Sufferin' Sucotash!

I don't think I've ever heard the word varmint before except from out of the mouth of ol' Yosemite Sam. Come to think of it, what does sucotash(spelling?) mean too?? :nuts:

Sufferin' Sucotash!

I don't think I've ever heard the word varmint before except from out of the mouth of ol' Yosemite Sam. Come to think of it, what does sucotash(spelling?) mean too?? :nuts:

Some sort of dish?

Succotash recipe

ingredients

200 ml (1/3 pint) vegetable stock

2 small fresh corns on the cob, or 175 g (6 oz) frozen sweetcorn kernels

225 g (8 oz) shelled fresh broad beans

1 small onion, skinned and finely chopped

150 g (5 oz) low-fat soft cheese

45 ml (3 tbsp) low-fat natural yogurt

10 ml (2 tsp) chopped fresh basil or

5 ml (1 tsp) dried

salt and pepper, to taste

fresh basil leaves, to garnish

method

1. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan.

2. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, remove the kernels from the corn cobs, cutting lengthways down the cobs. Discard the cobs.

3. Place the fresh corn kernels in another saucepan with the broad beans and onion.

4. Pour the boiling stock over, bring back to the boil, then lower the heat and cook gently for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender. If using frozen corn, add it to the other vegetables halfway through cooking.

5. Meanwhile, beat the cheese until creamy, then stir in the yogurt, basil and seasoning.

6. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan.

7. Add the cheese and yogurt mixture to the vegetables and reheat gently, stirring continuously, for 2-3 minutes.

8. Serve hot, garnished with the fresh basil leaves.

serving amount

serves 4

Succotash recipe

ingredients

200 ml (1/3 pint) vegetable stock

2 small fresh corns on the cob, or 175 g (6 oz) frozen sweetcorn kernels

225 g (8 oz) shelled fresh broad beans

1 small onion, skinned and finely chopped

150 g (5 oz) low-fat soft cheese

45 ml (3 tbsp) low-fat natural yogurt

10 ml (2 tsp) chopped fresh basil or

5 ml (1 tsp) dried

salt and pepper, to taste

fresh basil leaves, to garnish

Why low fat? I fucking hate low fat.... :bomb:

Why low fat? I fucking hate low fat.... :bomb:

Why? Because I cut & pasted it from a US cooking site.

Tell you what, just substitute the low-fat dairy products for full-cream dairy products, make yerself some real succotash.

For a while I got sent review copies of these sort of games, with lovable titles like, erm, Extreme Pro Bunny Hunter 4000 or something. I haven't really taken a look at them.

And when varmint hunting gets a little too intense and you need to take a break, don't worry! We know how you feel and we've made accommodations.

Darn those disgruntled employees.