Sign in to follow this  
Farbror

"Video games may make children addictive"

Swedish newspaper "Dagens Nyheter" had an article today about a study made by an organization named "Fair Play". The study was about swedish kids, aged 11-16, and their video game habits. Some quotes from the article (Translated, for your convinience):

"6 % play more than 35 hours a week and has trouble in school."

"Many say they can't stop. They get aggressive and restless if they can't play."

"-I curse the day I bought the video game for my son, who then was six years old. It was "hip" back then, and I thought it was like any other toy."

"In the lower ages, everyone plays. In the higher ages, fewer play, but among them, the amount of "Heavy Users" is higher.

"-I play six to seven hours every day. Now I'm not allowed to play every day, and I've begun doing other stuff instead. But I always do my homework before I sit down with the game. (Swedish kid, 11 years old)"

"-The scariest part was that the boys couldn't quit by themselves. They just continued until we told them to stop."

Read the whole article here (In swedish).

Comments, anyone?

Yup, any pleasurable activity can become addictive. No one ever seems to be up in arms about all the people addicted to TV though.

TV addiction just doesn't get as much press anymore, since TV has been around so long, but there definitely are (and have been) people talking about it.

Also, video game addiction tends to be more tangible than addiction to something like TV, because there's an actual action/response mechanism. Since you have the controller or mouse in your hand, you are controlling it rather than just being a passive observer. This actually does release more dopamine in your brain, which I suspect is why video games are becoming a more popular pasttime than television.

Fun game:

Replace all instances of "play" with "masturbate" in the above translated article.

"In the lower ages, everyone masturbates. In the higher ages, fewer masturbate, but among them, the amount of "Heavy Users" is higher."