Sign in to follow this  
Jake

"What's wrong with game reviews"

Take a look.

But before I get into what is wrong with video game reviews, we should first try to find a definition of what a video game review is or at least what it is for. I know some of you are already typing in definition.com to see if you can 1up me on the definition, but try not to take me too literally there. This is purely conceptual. Thus I present to you my definition: a video game review is meant to help gamers purchase games they will enjoy. To go a bit more in-depth, gamers many times already know about a game before going into a review. But let's assume that they haven't already made their purchasing decision. A reviewer should be able to go beyond the screenshots, the trailers, the spec sheets, the interviews, and tell it like it is. A video game review should be able to show any gamer whether or not they will enjoy that game.

I think we can all agree that this is something a video game review should do. But there is either a fundamental lack of understanding of that concept or a complete disregard in most cases (notice I didn't automatically slap a "mainstream" here. This applies to everybody). Now, let's see what is wrong with reviews. I'm dividing this into subsections, which you may find later is hypocritical. Enjoy the hypocrisy!

The article goes into issues with scoring reviews, pushing to be the first on the block with a review, reviewing online components before the public is even playing the game etc etc. I haven't read more than the first bit, though, but it's definitely interesting, and something we try to think about here at the Thumb.

credible, but keep in mind they also said that LSD is a "real [sic] drug" like cocaine.

there wasn't much for insight that we haven't already discussed on these here forums, but it's still a decent article.

I was going to read it, but I left my electron microscope in my other pants.

Yeah I read it earlier today and it's not groundbreaking, but it's nice to see people writing about it.