lailoken

Online "roleplaying" and the continual dying...

One of the continuous problems i have with mmorpgs is that you just keep on dying and coming back... i wonder if there isn't a better way to punish a player for getting into trouble. actually dying in a mmorpg could have a whole other dimension, if it had the real consequences of a real death. but then you need another way of punishing the player for being careless... what do you think?

One of the continuous problems i have with mmorpgs is that you just keep on dying and coming back... i wonder if there isn't a better way to punish a player for getting into trouble. actually dying in a mmorpg could have a whole other dimension, if it had the real consequences of a real death. but then you need another way of punishing the player for being careless... what do you think?

In some of them you go to some sort of underworld, in UO you become a ghost...

Remember, if the penalty is too big it will put off many gamers from playing a game...

Imagine if you couldn't come back, if you had to restart from the begining each time, now that would be frustrating... :bomb:

Yeah, I used to play on MUD2. Got a really high character, aquired magic powers and everything. Then some PKer used all his tricks (and some scripts I reckon) to wipe the floor with me, and I had to restart. I didn't bother, and never played it again.

How about instead of dying you are "wounded" and have to crawl to safety, followed by a healing period during which you slowly regain strength?

I used to play UO, and the Ghost thing can work quite well.

If you're not playing in a group and you die, you have to track down a healer, which can take some doing if you're in the middle of no where. It's harder to get around as a ghost as well, since you can't use magic, horses or boats.

yeah that's also a real problem with "real death" it should not be possible to be killed by another player. but i still think that "emotionwise" that death hasn't been used as a dramaical tool enough. how about a game where you die after a certain preset time and you have to make the most out of it! totally freeform! but that's straying from the original topic... i just really like the idea. the question would obviously be when you "really" die. also i think the idea of ageing in a mmorpg hasn't been exploited at all. that would help controlling the whole highlevel-bastards-issue.

yeah that's also a real problem with "real death" it should not be possible to be killed by another player. but i still think that "emotionwise" that death hasn't been used as a dramaical tool enough. how about a game where you die after a certain preset time and you have to make the most out of it! totally freeform! but that's straying from the original topic... i just really like the idea. the question would obviously be when you "really" die. also i think the idea of ageing in a mmorpg hasn't been exploited at all. that would help controlling the whole highlevel-bastards-issue.

But then you run into the trouble of whether age is fetermined by real time or time spent in the game.

naw i would go with realtime, giving you... say a year to play a character and then he dies and if you don't have children with another character, all your stuff is lost.... inheritance would be another feature you could incorporate that way

just thought -

what about using karma as a game mechanic - you start as a crap low level character, and in order to level up, you have to die after 'leading' a 'good' 'life'. reincarnating with new powers commensurate to the sort of life you previously 'lived', and a 'bad' life results in leveling down or 'something'.

just thought -

what about using karma as a game mechanic - you start as a crap low level character, and in order to level up, you have to die after 'leading' a 'good' 'life'. reincarnating with new powers commensurate to the sort of life you previously 'lived', and a 'bad' life results in leveling down or 'something'.

Since the path to Nirbhana is mostly tranquility and passively contemplating the universe, I don't see it being too exciting as a game. Nice idea though :)

well no, i think that would be a nice mechanic to keep people from killing one another to a certain extent... hmm great, i love it!

I mean you could make player evaluation amongst each other an intricate part of the experience

I mean you could make player evaluation amongst each other an intricate part of the experience

naah that's just nutty.