Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

San Andreas

How come there have been no threads about San Andreas after it's out? Compared to HL2.... :(

How many of you are/were playing it? Is/was it awesome?

Damn I'm being masochistic here, I probably won't play it till it comes out on PC.

I already talked about it at great length in some other thread, so I don't feel like doing it again here, but basically my experience was this: I started off sort of enjoying it, but kind of thinking it was just another rehash of the GTA3 formula. As I played it more, though, I really became taken with the sheer depth and enormity of the world, and I pretty much just kept enjoying it more and more. It's a really good game.

I second Chris' experience, except for the rehash thing. I kinda expected it to be a rehash, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of funny things you can do next to playing through story.

And I was a bit disappointed at the PS2 graphics detail.

--Erwin

I played it a bit on a friend's PS2. It seemed pretty good, but I couldn't get into it - it got a bit drab after a while. However I thought the same about Vice City, and I enjoyed that much much more when it came to the PC in faster, more colourful and more vibrant form. I expect the same with San Andreas: PS2 = meh, PC = win!

However I thought the same about Vice City, and I enjoyed that much much more when it came to the PC in faster, more colourful and more vibrant form. I expect the same with San Andreas: PS2 = meh, PC = win!
Are you fucking insane?! The PC version of Vice City was butt-fugly. It was a textbook example of a half-assed port. They completely removed the orangy atmospheric glow, leaving behind a skeleton structure of annoying raw colours, they didn't bother converting all the shaders, so the raindrops that fell on the screen didn't refract at all. It is anything but vibrant and colourful -- faster perhaps, but irrelevantly so.

In conclusion :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :frusty:.

...I also thought San Andreas was downright "beautiful" for a GTA game, and like I said before somewhere on the board, I hope they don't fuck up the port by taking away all the atmospheric shaders like with Vice City.

I second Chris' experience, except for the rehash thing. I kinda expected it to be a rehash, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of funny things you can do next to playing through story.

Yeah, you are in fact agreeing with me on the rehash thing then.

And I was a bit disappointed at the PS2 graphics detail.

There were some moments when the extreme mip-mapping bothered me but aside from that I didn't have any qualms with the game's visuals. Sure, they don't look as "good" as even a lot of stuff coming out for the PS2 these days, but the scale of the world they represent makes up for it for me. The game has color in the right places and generally what is on the screen is assembled in a nice way.

I thought it was the best game, ever, after the first 25 hours. I'm not sure anymore, but it's still one of the best games I have ever played. Probably in my personal top 3 or 5 or whatever.

So, yeah. It's absolutely fucking incredibly awesome. :tup: