Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

The Incredibles sequel

Supposedly there are rumors that they might make a sequel, but how could they? Doesn't Disney own the rights? A sequel could, potentially, be quite awesome, but not if it's some Disney hack job.

Supposedly there are rumors that they might make a sequel, but how could they? Doesn't Disney own the rights? A sequel could, potentially, be quite awesome, but not if it's some Disney hack job.

Disney already announced that they're going to make a Toy Story 3 without Pixar, what would stop a sequel to The Incredibles from being made.

Right. I think I was a bit unclear in my wording. The "they" I meant was Pixar. How could they (Pixar) make a sequel if Disney owns the rights?

Disney already announced that they're going to make a Toy Story 3 without Pixar...

Why would anyone ever think that was a good idea?

Ei$ner figures it will bring in lots of cash purely on brand recognition, and I'm sure he is correct in that regard. They will milk that cow until it is dead.

I heard somewhere that Eisner may be fired soon, meaning that the people of Pixar will be less pissed off and come back to the bargoning table and make an Incredables 2 with Brad Beird on the helm possable. Or maybe it was a dream.

That cow's been dead for years. The milk's all moldy and gross and nobody wants it.

The cow he was referring to is Toy Story, which is obviously far from dead. If Pixar made a toy story 3 it would make as much or more than Nemo or Incredibles have made.

Pixar would make an Incredibles 2 if Disney paid them properly. I don't know why they wouldn't want to? The issue of the "5 movie contract not including sequels" which caused so much strife over Toy Story 2 is pretty much a moot point now with Cars finishing up that contract. I'm sure if Pixar and Disney sign on again together as partners, Pixar will demand that they have to sign off on any future sequel projects to their films even if Disney owns the rights.

heard somewhere that Eisner may be fired soon

After his contract is up, he is stepping down. I think that is happening within a year from now...or so. His replacement is still be looked around for.

I doubt he'll disappear from the company. Odds are he'll stay on the board of directors and continue to drown anything good.

Yeah, I'm sure the rest of the board is made up of fun-loving animators brimming with ideas :shifty:.

The truth is, Disney after Walt has always been #1 about whoring and #2 about making movies. Each film is a finely crafted marketing ploy, and I doubt Eisner is a large part of that problem.

Yeah, I'm sure the rest of the board is made up of fun-loving animators brimming with ideas :shifty:.

Hm not quite what I was implying but I agree with your sarcasm.

I SAW THE INCREDIBLES!

*exuberant outrageous screams of utter exuberance*

It was fantastic! I even saw it in the first digital theatre in the Netherlands, making for a unique experience in crispiness. But wow, the movie itself rocked my socks! It's one, if not THE, of my favourite animated movies EVER~! Like Han Solo would say: ,,YEEE-HAW!"

But that's just Solo. I bet HE'S pretty pissed now that he doesn't live in OUR universe, eh? Who's jealous NOW, Solo?!

Anyway, The Incredibles was fantastic. After my mild disappointment with Finding Nemo (very charming, but it didn't really hold a gripping appeal to me), The Incredibles did everything right for me. It just switched every button inside of me, making for one of the most tittilating movie-experiences ever :clap:

I don't know why they wouldn't want to?

It's a bargaining chip. If they sign a deal with another studio, it'll be exclusive.

I think it sucks that Pixar has left (most likely) disney for good, but I totally understand why they want a better deal.

Pixar's movies make far, far, far, FAR more money than any of Disney's internal animated features, so why shouldn't they get more out of their relationship?

I think it sucks that Pixar has left (most likely) disney for good, but I totally understand why they want a better deal.

Why does it suck?

Why does it suck?

Because they can't make sequels to any film owned by Disney.

...which is every Pixar movie to date.

Ah, I see. That doesn't really bother me. Considering Pixar's standards of quality, it would take them just as long to make a sequel as an original film, and I'd rather just see a new one over a sequel any day.

Dito. I already see a horrible 2D animated series being pumped out by some Disney satellite in Korea where The Incredibles is turned into a villain-of-the-week show. I'll just ignore the crap and recognize only the original movie as being part of The Incredibles-canon.

But enough with the politics, lets just indulge ourselves in blissful fanboyish buttering-up. The movie deserves it.

I admit I had a few problems with the film, particularly the ending (and particularly particularly the ridiculous baby), but on the whole I thought it was excellent and is surely my favorite Pixar film. Brad Bird pretty much is awesome.

The baby was obviously just a pun. It's acceptable because it's in no way credible and it works on the basis that they're not going to do anything else with the movie (hence also supervillain The Underminer, who is the enemy of PEACE and HAPPINESS). The only REAL flaw of the movie is that Violet, dear sweet cute innocent Violet chooses the POPULAR BOY at the end as her romantic interest -instead of realising that good looks mean NOTHING and choosing for the non-existent teased nerdboy who is actually the COOLEST of all schoolkids.

I have a crush on a polygon character and I'm not even ashamed of it.

What the hell is wrong with the flaming baby? He was clearly one of the highlights of the film.

To me, almost the whole movie felt believable. Even though there were super powers and the like, the world felt like it was existing withing a cohesive and well-defined world, and the characters were staggeringly well-realized. Then there's just this baby with a ludicrous array of powers, and when it turned into some beast-thing, I was completely over it. It even reminded me of that idiotic Son of the Mask (I think) movie that's coming out, which is definitely not a good thing. The baby could have just done the flames thing, which would have served precisely the same purpose, had the same element of surprise, and not be totally over the top and unnecessary. The presence of the baby is one of the biggest reasons I hope there's not a sequel. I'd hate to see what the presence of such a gimmicky device would do to such a character-driven world (surely there would be a few too many cheap gags and the like).

As far as general complains about the ending, I was sort of disappointed that they went with the general blockbuster action-scene ending, since my least favorite parts of the film as a whole were definitely the action scenes (which were entertaining enough but in reality when they were occuring I just wanted to get back to the characters of Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl). I know that there weren't many other options, and it would have taken a ridiculous amount of balls (a trillion and a half, perhaps) to not have an action ending, and probably a lot of people would have thought it was lame, but I was really hoping they'd fine some way to end the film without a big explody bit. It was sort of redeemed by the absolutely excellent tongue-in-cheek presence of The Underminer, however, which was of course absolutely excellent.

EDIT: Here is a New York Times times review of the film which with I agree 100%. It is a glowing recommendation until it describes the ending, and the reviewer's opinions of that are pretty much the same as mine. For the record, I didn't find this review until several days after seeing the film on opening night and my opinions were already well-formulated; I didn't read this review then decide that's what I thought. Again, with the exception of the bit about the ending, the review is completely positive, as am I. Here's the last paragraph:

But then, perhaps inevitably, Mr. Bird steers his heroes in the direction of compromise. The Incredible family may stand up to the forces of mandatory mediocrity, but ''The Incredibles,'' in the end, has no choice but to succumb. The climax is loud and unimaginative -- a situation cribbed from ''Spy Kids 2'' tricked out with noise and fireballs. This, of course, is what the public demands, and while it may help the movie succeed as large-scale entertainment, it does so at the expense of some of its daring idiosyncrasy. The lesson is sobering, and a little dispiriting. If every movie is required to be spectacular, then no movie really can be.

EDIT: Son of the MASK, not MAST. Geez.

What the hell is wrong with the flaming baby? He was clearly one of the highlights of the film.

If you thought that was a highlight, you missed about a million awesome things about this movie. :shifty:

Meh, it didn't bother me that much. If there's ONE movie that deserved to be incredible in its ending, it's this one. I think it's a matter of taste, I kinda liked the happy-go-lucky good ending, made me leave the cinema with a happy feeling. I agree that it has become somewhat of a restrictive dogma for a movie to end in a specific style, but just take comfort that if anyone one day finds the means to break himself loose of this, it'll be Brad Bird.