Mr Flibble

Jazz Jackrabbit

On a recent trawl through memory lane, I encountered a recollection of playing Jazz Jackrabbit when I was about 7.

Filled with nostalgia, I rushed to Underdogs and promptly downloaded.

Does anyone else remember this game? It had great animation but far and away the soundtrack was the best part of the game.

For those poor fools ( :mrt: ) who haven't heard of Jazz, he's basically a rabbit with a huge gun trying to save the universe. The level designs are very diverse and original. Its a side scroller, but there were also some rudementry 3D bonus levels.

Jazz was awesome. The music was totally kickass. I used to leave the levels on just to hear that goddamn music.

Back to memory lane... I always wanted the full, none shareware version of... what was it called? The game where you were in a little submarine and... something about tuna... ?

Man, I was a big jazz fan back in the day. Also, Jazz Jackrabbit was super fun.

I got the Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Secret Files from a budget bin last year... :naughty:

Spaz ate the Dopefish...

Am I the only one who thinks Bucky O'Hare and Jazz Jackrabbit look TOO much alike?

They're both green space rabbits, one fights toads and the other turtles...

They both use blasters too....:erm:

Furries.

What did the furries ever did to you?

(Do I really want to know?)

The first game is a bit unplayable nowadays (those Lego-levels!) because there's too little overview, but the seuqel is still one of the best [PC] platformgames ever. Huge fun, and what's more, huge MULTIPLAYER splitscreen fun! :clap:

One of the (very few) good titles that came from the Netherlands.
Hee I remember how it was publicized greatly over here. There were interviews with Arjan Brussee all over the place, complete with photoshoots as I recall. To the rest of the world, it was just a fun shareware game!

I think Brussee is now a suit over at Guerilla.

YES! RIPTIDE!!! Man, that game was fun in a completely non-innovative way. And it had absolutely nothing to do with Tuna. Man, you must be able to read my mind or something.

the little submarine thing triggered my trip back to memory lane, cause I have played this shareware game pretty much too :)

Wow, you guys will never believe this... my calculations say that I have not played Dr Riptide in 13, almost 14 years....!!!... And yet I remembered THREE OF THE PASSWORDS FOR THE LEVELS.

From since I was 5 or 6 years old. It's not like I even played it since, because we broke the floppy.

I think I also remember some of the level passwords for Flashback. I remember... the one at the end... uh... wasn't one of them something to do with... sugar, I know it reminded me of a bond movie or something... it'll come to me...

Yeah, the Jazz Jackrabbit series was awesome. I didn't even know there was an expansion to Jazz 2 until someone mentioned it a few months ago because as far as I know, it wasn't released in the USA. It's too bad that Jazz 2 seems way too easy these days, even on the hardest mode (I'm sure it's not because of my 1337 skills).

Jazz2 definately was easier, probably a knee jerk reaction to people saying Jazz1 was too hard.

Bucky O'Hare eh?

I remember a Jazz TV show, am I thinking of Bucky O'Hare? He had a space ship, and I believe his engineer was a rodent of some sort.

I'm not sure which was was released in what countries, but as always, go to underdogs for all of them.

I think Brussee is now a suit over at Guerilla.

Wasn't Brussee involved with Orange Games (A division/partnership/whatever relation of Lost Boys) as well?

--Erwin

the little submarine thing triggered my trip back to memory lane, cause I have played this shareware game pretty much too :)

Hey I remember playing that game, also the pea shooting Pete one it mentions on that site. Ah the classic days of Shareware

Jazz is awesome. The sequel came with a cool editor as well. I made a good few custom levels and tilesets for it, even a big singleplayer mod based on Jurassic Park The Lost World.

The game actually still has a pretty active community at Jazz2online.

Sweet! I haven't played JJ 2 in a while, and now I have an excuse to play it again!

Hmm, is the water supposed to look that way? I don't even remember swimming in this game...:erm:

Jazz2 definately was easier, probably a knee jerk reaction to people saying Jazz1 was too hard.

Bucky O'Hare eh?

I remember a Jazz TV show, am I thinking of Bucky O'Hare? He had a space ship, and I believe his engineer was a rodent of some sort.

I'm not sure which was was released in what countries, but as always, go to underdogs for all of them.

Huh? The engineer was Deadeye Duck (he did have a catgirl called Jenny though), and Jazz Jackrabbit doesn't have a series AFAIK...

Jazz Jackrabbit is pretty similar in concept to Bucky O'Hare. I don't know why I never noticed that before. For nostalgia trippers, this page offers the classic Bucky theme tune and lyrics, so you can sing along. "Let's croak us some toads!"

Wasn't Brussee involved with Orange Games (A division/partnership/whatever relation of Lost Boys) as well?
Orange Games made Jazz Jackrabbit in conjunction with Epic -> Orange Games and two other devs merged into Lost Boys Games -> Lost Boys Games became Guerrilla Games. So, yeah. :)

Orange Games made Jazz Jackrabbit in conjunction with Epic -> Orange Games and two other devs merged into Lost Boys Games -> Lost Boys Games became Guerrilla Games. So, yeah. :)

Well, it's a bit confusing, really. Because what was Epic's part? I always thought they only published it, but then there's also Project Two Interactive, who went bankrupt shortly after JJ2.

I also remember a FPS Orange Games was working on. Has that project evolved to Killzone or am I talking about an entirely different game?

--Erwin