Marek

Half-Life 2 Spoiler Thread

I don't think I ever noticed the G-Man in the game the first time I played. Now I got to the "water hazard" chapter (or the ending of the previous one) and saw him in that barn.

Damn, I missed that one! I didn't see him at all the first play, but now I'm replaying it with my eyes open for all the secrets. This seems like a good place to list the g-man's appearences.

So far we have:

- on Dr Kliener's lab security camera

- In a barn on water hazard

- in a rebel base, seen through Combine spy binoculars on Highway 17

- In a barn on water hazard

Oops... I was splitting my post for that other thread and forgot to specify -- not IN a barn, but in front of it, but he did go inside when I got closer or stared from afar. The barn is higher from the ground and has a crane and you can enter it.

Damn, I didn't see him in any of those, I GOT to REPLAY this game and soon.

I only saw him in two occasions,

1. on one of the monitors in Nova Prospekt I saw him walking through a room that was filled with Gordon-friendly-Antlions.

2. On a remote tv in City17, an eerie twin peaks kind music was coming out of the tv and G-Man was just standing there, then the transmission stopped. This was in the later City17 levels

You can see him 2 times during the airboat part of the game. once when you're crusing through a canal and once when you're at the dam (right after the big helicopertfight) you can see him sneaking around a corner.

You can also spot him talking to a group of rebels you will meet later when you look through a pair of binoculars the combine soldiers left behind when you brutally slaughtered them on your buggy ride towards that base. ;)

Just after you leave Dr. Kleiner's lab and have moved on or past the railway in the city, you can jump down into the canal and climb into the red container at the end, where there's the vortigaunt who gives you a jolt, and a resistance guy. When you enter that room take a quick look at the TV. G-Man is talking to them. Only visible for like 3 seconds.

I love those Gman sightings, and they were excellent in HL, Op4, BS and HL2, but I was disappointed to read that the strategy gayde attributed them to some sort of problems with the HEV suit. I hope that's not the official reason...

I also saw G-man in water hazard standing on a bridge above me. A little before the dam I think. The bridge also had those things that pull you up to the ceiling and eat you (what was their name?)

Umm... this has spoilers so I posted here. Was anyone else disappointed by Ravenholm? For me it would have been cool if they had just compressed it into a smaller level maybe, but it seems they cut out some of the cool traps and it was mostly just zombie-shooting.

One of the parts from the E3 demo / leaked version wasn't there. I think that part had Combine soldiers so maybe they cut out everything related to the Combine from Ravenholm.

I loved the change of mood in Revenholme; very Stephen King (Father Gregoriev would be right at home in 'Salem's Lot).

Which traps did you find? I counted the cars, the gas, and the spinning blades.

I definately missed the stuff they showed at E3 where you could destroy the planks of a bridge that the zombies were standing on.

Mostly though I think that level was there so you could have fun with the grav gun. I mean, how many circular saw blades does one village need? ;P

I just checked some of the old bink promo videos of HL2.

It's kind of strange that about all of them are from scenes that are not in the game. Like the video called Kleiner's lab, that scene would've been awesome in the game. At least that's what I think.

Attributed them to the suit how?

From the Strategay Gayde:

Research has uncovered further instability with your HEV Suit that may result in enhanced or odd gameplay experiences.

Then it goes on about spotting Gman all about town.

The suit stuff may just be the introduction to the chapter, though, which also includes stuff about cheat codes and whatnot.

It's kind of strange that about all of them are from scenes that are not in the game. Like the video called Kleiner's lab, that scene would've been awesome in the game. At least that's what I think.

All those sequences were just technology demos, and in the Gamespot article they mention the Kleiner's lab sequence in particular as being too long and drawn out. I'm thinking they're considering all those who play HL2 as just another shooter. If it were up to me, there'd be ten times as many (and as long) scripted sequences. They're GRRRRRRREAT!

and in the Gamespot article they mention the Kleiner's lab sequence in particular as being too long and drawn out.

That was never shown at E3 or anywher I think. That was the year when they skipped E3 because Newell wasn't happy with the prototype.

I'd like more "cutscenes" too. Not necessarily longer, but maybe less urgent that let you explore the place without someone nagging you to follow him/her. Most, if not all of the scenes had me enter a human-inhabited place, fight the Combine or listen to the rebels talk, then someone practically dragging me along. Of course, you could still search for ammo or health packs and not follow the person right away but it would have been nice if the player could choose when to move on.

I know what you mean Erkki, I also found it annoying when I was trying to have a look around and someone would be nagging me to "come this way Dr Freeman".

I just spent a while getting responses from the squad members in Anticitizen One. There's some funny stuff:

"When this is all over, I'm gonna mate!"

"Sometimes, I dream about cheese"

also film references:

"Whoah! Deja Vu"

and my favourite, digs at other upcoming games:

"They're never gonna make a Stalker out of me!"

I don't remember where Follow Freeman began exactly, but yeah, I agree (I think I mentioned this in the other thread). I loved parts of the city17 levels, and didn't like other parts so much, but the squad members were always a weak part in them. In the E3 demo they seemed pretty awesome, but I guess that was scripted.

What I really wanted was for

Black Mesa East

to be your base of operations if only for one chapter. At that point it felt kind of stupid how every supposed safe haven you reached was immediately attacked by the Combine. It felt like everything was just crumbling apart in Freeman's wake :)

It would have been cool to have the whole tutorial thing and non-interactive stuff there, do some mission, return to that base and then be under attack. It would have felt more like a real place instead of a node on a linear track.

By the way, have you seen this? It seems like HL2 evolved constantly, and that some chapters might have even changed order during the course of development. Most of the changes seem for the best though (glad they cut the propaganda posters).

Also, did anyone not like Chapter 13: Follow Freeman! all that much? I had to keep forcing my squadmates away from combat because I didn't want them to die. I really wish they would just stay put when you want them to.

Yeah, I was pretty protective of my squad, and they didn't do a whole lot (except for the medic).

But I read a little bit of the strategy guide, and it recommends sending in your squad ahead of you as scouts, cannon fodder, and also because they are much less vulnerable when they are on the offensive. Having just reached that part in my second playthrough it does seem to be the case (although I'm playing on easy now, and played it on hard the first time).

Yeah, I was pretty protective of my squad, and they didn't do a whole lot (except for the medic).

But I read a little bit of the strategy guide, and it recommends sending in your squad ahead of you as scouts, cannon fodder, and also because they are much less vulnerable when they are on the offensive. Having just reached that part in my second playthrough it does seem to be the case (although I'm playing on easy now, and played it on hard the first time).

hah, fools! I played through this part using my team as cannon fodder. Otherwise they just seem to get in the way as has been said. And in any case, once a couple died I seemed to get a couple more straight away.

Okay so

the tram rides through the citadel in the body bag things

were some of the most awesome things of all time. Holy crap. How enjoyable was that? Jesus.

And then they had to

fuck it up by ending the game right after that!! GRRRRAERRHG

. I hope there's a

Blue Shift-esque expansion pack that lets me see what happened after Freeman got sucked away by the Gman. The tower was starting to collapse, mayhem was about to rain down and then... LAMEO FREEZE FRAME!!!.

I fully approve of the Gman appearing and taking me away causing Jake to get extremely frustrated, but I hope Valve knows what's good for them and lets us see the tower fall to the ground from the point of view of another character. Maybe a Vortigaunt. Or Dog.