General Fuzzy McBitty

Game Packaging

These days, I prefer DVD cases. For whatever reason, over here console games come in DVD cases and PC games still come in boxes. Since manufacturers don't actually put anything in the boxes justifying that much space, I'd much rather just have a nice DVD case with art that's hardly any smaller and which is a million times more robust, and which can be shelved very nicely.

I think it's the market.... remember that they're trying ot make video games = (yes, A PERFECT EQUALS :frusty:) Hollywood, ergo games come in movie cases. I like it, though...

PC Games come in software Boxes, well... special software boxes because now days they're really small boxes, while other software has their big boxes in order to compensate for something else.

Somebody needs to rethink the way software comes to the consumer... like Segways will make someone rethink cities!11 :nuts:

Wow, you guys must be the biggest bunch of klutzes ever assembled.

Seriously, I've never had a problem with getting DVDs out of their case, regardless of what kind of case it is.

The exception being that hideous PolyGram case that was used in the early days of DVD. I had a few discs that used that, and it wasn't that it was hard to get the discs out, it's just that they could easily be scratched. (It was this nasty-ass plastic thing with a slider tray...really, really stupidly designed).

You know what I hate? I hate like, when I got The Longest Journey? In a DVD case? And I opened it up, and like, three fucking CDs fell out? Because the DVD case could only properly hold one CD? So some jackass had decided to try and jam all four into it anyway? It's even more annoying than uptalk!

Yeah, I hate those too. I'm sure there are ways to make good DVD boxes, but they probably don't apply to game boxes :shifty:

There are DVD cases that can hold multiple discs. Often what they do is just have the spindle be taller, with a little ring that keeps the discs from touching. The Halo 2 collector's DVD case is like this. There would surely still be room for three if the manufacturer had some foresight.

There are some cases that come with a magical extra plastic flap inside to hold multiple CDs. I know I’ve got at least two games that have them. It’s strange; I’ve never seen a PC game case with one though.

I hated that grim fandango came in this cardboard case, while escape from monkey island has the best-designed case, which opens outwards and all. Now, The Longest Journey US was kind of cheap in that the cds came in those white envelopes...

I recently got a copy of Riven: Het Vervolg Op Myst (Riven from Holland), and since it's Euro, then it comes in a DVD case. Riven is 5 CDs, though, so they managed to somehow stick 3 in one plastic thing where you usually stick one dvd, and then two CDs in those white envelopes. WTF!

I personally love the original cardboard GF case -- it's very nice. Hell, I want to replace it at some point since mine is so tattered.

The trick is to hold it back, tilt it so that the targetted CD is hanging vertically, and then squeeze both sides of the case.

The other flap will get in the way in that case, and if you move it from the way with your other hand, it might just be that the CD will drop on the floor. Other hazards are possible as well...

You squeeze it hard enough so that it doesn't just fall out (since your fingers on both sides are holding the CD) and use your other hand to pull it out.

However, if this proves too time consuming! I have developed and patented a time-tested tool which allows easy removal of the CDs, which preserves both the integrity of the CDs and the case. For a mere £19.99, this tool can be yours too. PM me for details, and if you're not convinced, check out these testimonials:

"Jesus, this tool is bloody awesome."

- Ben "bgbennyboy" Gorman

"Whoa, this is a really useful tool. I will be using this for all of my future Grim Fandango sessions. :)"

- Dave "Huz" Bowman

"I must say, this is the best Grim Fandango CD removal tool which I have ever come across. Brilliant work."

- Jake "Jake" Rodkin

"The Remi highly approves of this tool. I recommend it to all."

- Remi "Remi1000" Olsen

"Whoa, this is a really useful tool. I will be using this for all of my future Grim Fandango sessions. :)"

- Dave "Huz" "Dogman" Bowman

That is all... :shifty:

Dude, he still goes by Huz in the coolest parts of town. ;

Dude, he still goes by Huz in the coolest parts of town. ;
Are you implying these are not the coolest parts of town? 'Cause if you are, I can easily ban you... you know... out of pedagogical reasons... becasue I love you, you see... :ratched:

Dude, Idle Thumbs is beyond the town. Idle Thumbs is up there in the clouds, floating around next to the Lord himself.

... :mrt:

No, no. Idle Thumbs is like the secret town, which you'll find if you fly all the way up on a CS server with no clipping. There's always that a minitiature town, which is in fact magnified by the engine, surrounding the whole level. That is Idle Thumbs.