Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

HL2: Will it be woth the wait?

I was wondering what people thought of the years of waiting, the hype and the possible let down that are all building towards tomorrow?

Will Half Life 2 be able to fulfill our wildest HL2 dreams? Will it be worth $60?

I'm not sure what I think.

I'm not buying on steam, because I can't spend that much money and not have a shiny CD that I can hold while I'm screaming "I'VE GOT HALF LIFE 2!"

Are any of you avoiding steam simply because you aren't recieving something physical?

:mrt:

I was having the same thoughts about the apocalypse..

Will it be worth the wait?

didn't get to any conclusions though...

I'm gonna buy it in a store because I need to be there anyways, plus I don't want to strain my internet connection on which I run my own webserver. Plus, I don't trust my ISP. I get disconnected every once in a while. Maybe on purpose, because I'm violating my service agreement by hosting a website. I'm also not allowed to share my internet connection which I, naturally, do. Yeah, my ISP has some crappy rules, and provides equally crappy service.

--Erwin

I just bought it via steam. Vivendi doesn't deserve my my money... :sombrero:

I hope it'll be worth the wait. Although I've not really specifically waited. I never really allowed myself to get caught in the hype that much.

So yeah, I think it's going to be more than worth MY wait.

Erm.

What's the alternative? Rushed games are always awful. Of course the time should be taken to finish them. And since HL2 was kept under wraps for most of its devlopment we've really only had to wait a bit over a year.

Thing is, I don't "do" hype. I read the news, I say "cool" when I hear about new features. I do not sit here muttering to myself "OMG ! OMG!". When I have the game I will have the game. It will probably be good. Will there be flaws? Of course. I don't expect it to be an orgasmic experience, merely good.

Shit, I must be getting old, I'm now preaching the virtues of patience. Quick Batcodger, to the knacker yard!

yeah, you're getting old. and you're in denial. and your fly's undone. :hah:

hey, i did the same as you, declared a gamer's blackout until it's practically the eve of release. so fook that, i'm allowed to get some excitement now at this point.

Hey, if all four active threads on The Thumb are about HL2, it must be doing something right.

Anticipation is certainly building around Dogman Town. I spent part of the evening tinkering with video settings to get the Source video stress test to run well, and look pretty. The Predator type creature certainly looks nice, and reading the huge Gamespot article the other day seriously whet my appetite. I will be most disappointed if I don't get at least half an hour in the company of HL2 tomorrow morning.

But will it be worth the wait? Judging by how much I enjoyed Opposing Force recently (which wasn't even very good), I'm guessing: yes.

Man, GameSpot really took their dry objective approach to an extreme with this one. I like their site as a rule, but man, it almost seems like they were going out of their way to suck the emotion out of this piece. For once in my life, I approve the IGN review over the GameSpot one, on the basis of overall writing and style. I can't judge their opinions of the game yet, obviously.

I did too, although I've never been a fan of their video reviews. They're basically just selected excerpts from the main review, coupled with some video. I wish they did something else to make the two more distinct.

ugh, i didnt even bother reading the gamespot review ... i knew it would be dry & full of spoilers ... the pcgamer-uk review which i read (and ive got the mag ... none of that pdf garbage for me) was absolutely awesome ... was full of emotion & passion. and not a single line about the story of the game. gamespot is only good for news and nothing else.

as for the hype around HL2, ive had none of that ... havent even watched the e3 videos yet. i read the previews that emerged @ e3, but not much after that. im getting rather excited about it now, but seeing as i wont be playing it until decemeber, im not getting too excited.

SiN

You know already that Gamespot was never known for having any kind of personality. 10,000 Gamepots can never a .10000000 Idle Thumbs make.
Speaking of which, what happened to that Idle Thumbs site? It has fallen into obscurity some two weeks or so ago...

Will Half Life 2 be able to fulfill our wildest HL2 dreams?
My wildest dreams do not involve a geek saving the world, but if they did: yes.

Will it be worth $60?
Yes.

Oh man, the slow unlocking causes me pain. I left my computer on overnight in the hope it would somehow do this by magic, but no, the process only seemed to be startable manually at 8am. :fart: