Sign in to follow this  
Wormsie

Outlook vs Thunderbird

Who's your daddy?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your daddy?

I don't care that much about Firefox, but Thunderbird is teh best.

Do you mean Outlook or Outlook Express? I use Outlook Express so I voted for "Other". I'm planning to switch to Thunderbird though, maybe.

Well, Outlook Express is actually better than Tbird for me because it has better Filter features. I just installed Tbird though and I was amazed that it managed to import everything from Outlook except the rules/filters. Now if I could make it understand that it needs to apply the filters right when the messages arrive, I'd switch over immediately...

Now if I could make it understand that it needs to apply the filters right when the messages arrive, I'd switch over immediately...
Er, how doesn't it? Genuine question. :~

Well, I looked at all the options and the only way I found the filters where applied was when I selected 'run filters on folder' or opened the filters window, selected the filter and clicked 'run now'.

I'm subscribed to 4-5 lists and one of my accounts gets ~100 spam mails a day so I really like when the messages appear in their proper folders immediately.

And it would be nice if you could make a filter that says 'if received mail is from [this account] move it to [this folder].

Well, I looked at all the options and the only way I found the filters where applied was when I selected 'run filters on folder' or opened the filters window, selected the filter and clicked 'run now'.
Well, the 'Run Now' option is just to allow you to add a new filter and then apply it to existing mail automatically - a feature Outlook lacked I think? Once a filter is configured it automatically runs on all new email. I'm subscribed to a few mailing lists and I use filters to sort messages into folders, too. :)

And it would be nice if you could make a filter that says 'if received mail is from [this account] move it to [this folder].

Well, you've noticed that every account has its own filters, right? Can't you set up some kind of filter on the appropriate account that applies to everything?

Hope this helps :)

Well, the 'Run Now' option is just to allow you to add a new filter and then apply it to existing mail automatically - a feature Outlook lacked I think? Once a filter is configured it automatically runs on all new email. I'm subscribed to a few mailing lists and I use filters to sort messages into folders, too.

No, the 'run now' is to manually apply the rule. and outlook had that too. And outlook had a setting 'apply rules when new mail arrives'. TBird doesn't have such a setting or I haven't found it and the rules DO NOT get applied.

I'm curious what you did to make them always applied?

Well, you've noticed that every account has its own filters, right? Can't you set up some kind of filter on the appropriate account that applies to everything?

Yes, I did that. But it kind of feels like a work-around. The constraint I used was 'status' 'is' 'new' or something like that.

Wait... maybe that was the problem. I tried a different rule and it did get applied automatically. and I didn't test the other ones because something seems to be wrong with the other mail server.

Actually, I tested some more now and it seems that only rules that are for a specific account, i.e. not for 'Local Folders' get applied automatically. Makes a bit sense, actually.

Thunderbird's junkmail filters are amazing. After a few days of highlighting your spam, and clicking 'mark as junk', it will have learned well enough to only let maybe 1 in a 100 junk mails through. After a few months of using it now, my mail (I get at least 100 junk emails a day) is clear of unfiltered junk.

I stuck to using Outlook for awhile because it can fetch your Hotmail messages, while Thunderbird technically can't. However, if you use Hotmail Popper, you can convert your Hotmails to POP mails and have Thunderbird pick them up. I don't need to use Outlook for anything anymore, Thunderbird does it all!

I haven't used Internet Explorer for ages but I still prefer Outlook Express (even over Outlook, which is too wacky for me) for my mail.

The RSS support is teh awesome! Now I can check out stories I normally wouldn't bother to find. Like slashdot.org and some science stuff.

Is it possible to put a password on everything so someone couldn't just open up Thunderbird and read all of my e-mail?
It should be possible with the password manager... Or maybe not. Did you check Advanced Options-> Passwords blablabla

Yeah, the only thing I could find is that you can put a master password on all of your passwords, but it does absolutely nothing for what's already on your PC.

I've been using Thunderbird for about 3 weeks now, and it finally started recognizing all the spam! Wohoo! Today it only left 3 spam messages in my inbox and recognized about 80 as junk.

I've been using Thunderbird for about 3 weeks now, and it finally started recognizing all the spam! Wohoo! Today it only left 3 spam messages in my inbox and recognized about 80 as junk.

Something must be wrong with it... That was the only time Tbird detected the junk...

Something must be wrong with it... That was the only time Tbird detected the junk...

Heh... I didn't notice the "Run junk mail controls" item in the menu before :)

Turns out sometimes it decided to run that by itself, but it was pretty seldom.