Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 581: A Look Ahead to 2023

Three Moves Ahead 581:

Three Moves Ahead 581

A Look Ahead to 2023
Len, Rowan, and Mike Gillis take peek ahead at the roster of strategy games that are maybe, probably, or definitely coming out (or coming out of Early Access) in 2023. We also take an aside for some informed speculation on what some suspiciously quiet heavy-hitters like Total War and Civilization might be concocting. Also, who is Hooded Horse and why are they publishing everything we're into now?

Oh boy, a lot of different games

Since I signed up I might as well chime in here too and say that as a lifelong civilization fan I have been getting increasingly bored with the series.

While the games are arguably improving on each iteration I find it hard to care about the civilization I am building or whether I am winning or not. Part of it might just be me getting old and jaded with not enough time to properly do a deep dive, but it also feels very much like just an extremely complex boardgame with a terribly predictable and moronic AI opponent. Maybe if the AI felt like it cared a bit more about what it was doing, then maybe I would too...

On 1/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, Tarostar said:

While the games are arguably improving on each iteration I find it hard to care about the civilization I am building or whether I am winning or not.

A lot of people moved on to Paradox strategies that aren't usually about winning or outsmarting AI but about telling a specific story and achieving something. But if you want something closer to Civilization - Old World does that well enough.