Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 558: Dune: Spice Wars Early Access

Three Moves Ahead 558:

Three Moves Ahead 558

Dune: Spice Wars Early Access
Len, Fraser, and Jon take a look at Shiro Games' Dune: Spice Wars, which just launched into early access. Is this the modern Dune RTS we've been waiting decades for? As it so happens, it ends up igniting an entirely different kind of war in our own ranks.

Dune: Spice Wars, Dune your mom

Like Northgard only not as good would make a good box quote for this one.  And I doubt a year from now it will be a good game.    

Oh and this has the added touch it doesn't "get" what Dune is about at all.  This game gets Dune like Lynch did with his bullshit wierding modules.

For me, Spice Wars does capture the nature of the books and translates it into a solid strategy experience that blends a variety of sub-genres. It looks like both too much and too little at first but play at least one game to its conclusion and its becomes clear how the various systems mesh. The developers have been delivering solid updates, with both new features and balance tweaks, and after winning on Normal with the four factions I have to say that they play in different ways and encourage players to try out strategies and ideas. Yes, the game is mostly dedicated to gamers who have a connection to Dune as an universe and it takes some time to see how the interlocking systems make it exciting. I don't get the criticism that there's nothing to do at times but then again I always play on the fastest speed.

The big issue right now is that matches, even on small maps, are too long for multiplayer unless you play with friends who are willing to commit. I look forward to getting another faction before the end of summer.