Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 548: 2021 Recap

Three Moves Ahead 548:

Three Moves Ahead 548

2021 Recap
Troy and Len are joined by PCGamesN's Ian Boudreau and Fanbyte's Mike Williams to look back on a year that's a bit hard to summarize. Why can't we find a theme to slap on 2021? What were some of the biggest surprises, good and bad? And what were our favorite strategy games in what was, if nothing else, kind of a weird year for them?

Lots of games I forgot to write down while I was editing it

Is it just me or have the recent episodes been mixed at a fairly low volume? I like to listen while I walk to work and I have the volume turned up to max and if a car drives by I can't hear anything.

Or maybe my earbuds are getting old.

There has been a distinct lack of 3MA episodes on transportation focused "tycoon" games for a few years despite the releases of games such as Railway Empire, Railroad Corporation, Transport Fever 1 & 2, Mashinky (Early Access), etc. So, who knows if any 3MA panelists are even interested in the genre these days. But 2021 was a good-to-great year for transportation focused "tycoon" games with Voxel Tycoon and A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism. Even if you want to exclude Voxel Tycoon for being an Early Access release, the year was still well worth it on Switch and PC for A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism in my opinion.

At this rate someone is going to have try organising a Tom Chick reunion so we can finally have some transport games discussed again, since Tom included A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism within his Top 10 games of 2021 list.