General Fuzzy McBitty

Maniac Mansion

I was just thinking about MM, and how looking at that Adventure games should have grown differently. MM was revolutionary in that it had so many variations in puzzles. Other adventure games should have grown in a similar way, with different ways to do everything.

:mrt:

I don't know if this is exemplary of the rest of the game, but in the Return to Mysterious Island (or whatever it's called) demo, there are approx. a hojillion ways to do stuff.

Maniac Mansion - one game I always wanted to play but never got around to.

Must find a version to test with SCUMMVM... ;)

Maniac Mansion - one game I always wanted to play but never got around to.

Must find a version to test with SCUMMVM... ;)

Can you 'extract' it from the Day of the Tentacle CD-Rom?

You can run it through SCUMMVM, just not through DOTT itself yet.

I never understood why THAT version was chosen as the easter egg when the enhanced version had already been made. I've always assumed it was because the Edisons were white in the older version (rather than green), so they wanted to be make it consistent, or something.

They used the shit version so it would take up next to no space on a floppy disk, and also probably so it could fit in RAM along with DOTT on the PC's of the age. Size constraints of some sort were, I'm sure, why they used that version. That and it's more amusing to see it look so shitty compared to DOTT. The visual difference is far more striking than if they'd used the enhanced edition of MM.

Maybe the Edison's PC was old, so it could only run the 16 colour version.

** ahem **

The RAM issue notwithstanding, it's a pity the CD version of DOTT didn't ship with the better version of Maniac Mansion.

They used the shit version so it would take up next to no space on a floppy disk, and also probably so it could fit in RAM along with DOTT on the PC's of the age. Size constraints of some sort were, I'm sure, why they used that version. That and it's more amusing to see it look so shitty compared to DOTT. The visual difference is far more striking than if they'd used the enhanced edition of MM.

See, that doesn't make sense to me, since the size difference between the two versions is so small it's negligible for a floppy, and especially a CD. I'd check the numbers but I'm too lazy. I can tell you that the enhanced version is under a meg, though.

Maybe it was the copy protection? There was never an issue of the enhanced version where the security door is open like with the old one. Of course, LucasArts could have just "hacked" the door or simply kept it open like with SCUMMVM. Dunno. I'm going to stick with my theory of LucasArts' discrimination against green people.

amipal!!!!!!!!

you live :D

Damn right! :sombrero:

still love amigas then ;)

Again, damn right! Posting this right now with iBrowse on my AmigaOne XE-G4 with AmigaOS 4.0 beta... :woohoo:

Damn right! :sombrero:

Again, damn right! Posting this right now with iBrowse on my AmigaOne XE-G4 with AmigaOS 4.0 beta... :woohoo:

I wish my old Amiga 500 was still working.... :\

I wish my old Amiga 500 was still working.... :\

You can always emulate, but then again, it's never the same as actually owning the machine itself...

Amigas are like women...

You can always emulate, but then again, it's never the same as actually owning the machine itself...

A friend of mine got an Amiga 1200 from his girlfriend, (oh, the pun!), for christmas. Apparently there's a company still producing these babies and a shop in Trondheim, Norway sells them over the counter. They even sell accessories like joysticks, HD's, RAM, etc. I'm so envious of him right now!

Awesome, seriously??? Because I have a friend who comes from Trondheim, and he goes back to visit his family every so often. Do they sell any other types of consoles of olde, d'ya know?

As for the question of MM in DOTT... I've always assumed they used the old version simply because it was funny to see the difference in graphics, and also a testament to the enormous leap in technology that had taken place since the first one...