Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 529: Early Access City Builders

Three Moves Ahead 529:

Three Moves Ahead 529

Early Access City Builders
In one of our biggest panels ever, Rowan, Fraser, Len, Jon, and Mike are joined by Sin Vega to discuss the many city builders currently stewing in Early Access, or which had a long tenure there. What is the role of Early Access for this genre, and why does it seem to be such a popular starting point? Also, what would we like to see in the next generation of city builders?

Cities Skylines, Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Industries of Titan, Cliff Empire, NewCity, Ostriv, Frostpunk, Terra Nil, The Last Haven, Surviving the Aftermath, Going Medieval, Chang’an of Tang Dynasty

Great episode! I'm a fan of NewCity, too bad no one played it. It seems to be the only 'city' builder in EA in the vein of Skylines and SC4. Also Foundations is great too, was probably in the list. 

Is there any chance to get that list posted?

My props to Len for getting useful audio out of Sin's track, but what's the root cause of the garbled audio? It almost sounds like a poorly situated laptop's built-in mic. At work, the usual solution for people who have issues with audio is to call in separately using a phone even while screen sharing from their PC.

Edit: Also, Rowan's track seems to suddenly come out louder than the other panelists from time to time.

I'm not sure what Sin's recording set up is, but I can ask next time what we might be able to do ahead of time to get a cleaner track.

As far as levels go, the issue I always seem to have if I run an auto volume leveler over it is that it will amplify tiny background noises that made it through the noise filter. And that ends up sounding way worse. None of us are recording in a controlled studio environment, so it's very difficult to catch everything. So I generally just set everyone's levels at the beginning and try to adjust here and there as needed if it's really bad. If anyone has any tips on how to do this more consistently, I'd be happy to hear them.