Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Three Moves Ahead 500: Origins

Three Moves Ahead 500:

Three Moves Ahead 500

Origins
For our landmark 500th episode, Rob sits down with Rowan, T.J., Troy, and Bruce to discuss the formative games that made us strategy fans. Buckle in - it's a long one!

Warcraft II, Shogun: Total War, Warlords, The Operational Art of War, Harpoon, Eastern Front: 1941

What a show! I'm really happy with how this episode turned out. There is so much I'd like to comment, but I'll be brief.

Bruce's voice seems to be missing at the 2 hour 14 minutes mark. After Rob introduces him there is this weird and awkward silence.

The episodes I re-listen to the most are the ones that don't address any specific game, like the movie analises, the ones focusing on how games address some topics (like the episode touching on religion, as Troy said), the book reviews, the X year in review and 3MA after dark. I absolute adore the history lessons, hearing the stories that each panelist has to tell and how much knowledge of past games you all have. 

Sometimes I wonder what is going on with Tom Chick and Julian Mordok. Its been a long, long time since they've last been in the show.

Really happy that you guys did something special for the 500th episode as episode 400 came and went, as did some other important marks without any fanfare. So here is for another 500 episodes!

17 hours ago, Khan Khomrad said:

Sometimes I wonder what is going on with Tom Chick and Julian Mordok

Tom Chick has his own podcast. Plus he has some health issues probably limiting his availability.

Shucks, at first glance I thought this was going to be a show about Origins Systems.  Haven't listened to it yet, but sure it'll still be good :)

Congratulations with being an institute in podcast land. You have been inspiring me for almost a decade now. 

Just one thing. Cameron Harris (I did the game together with him) deserves by far most of the credits for the innovation with creative writing and RPG like elements in DC:Barbarossa. 

Best wishes,

Vic

On 8/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, ilitarist said:

Tom Chick has his own podcast. Plus he has some health issues probably limiting his availability.

While true, he also has a forum where he replied somewhat recently he doesn't know why he doesn't get invited anymore.

I enjoyed your discussion of the possibility of having a "forever" game. I can't imagine having a game in which I'm playing against the computer fill that role, but then I'm a far more avid tabletop gamer than I am a PC gamer.

In that vein, two games I know I'll be playing for the rest of my life are Star Fleet Battles and Advanced Squad Leader. Admittedly, both tactical games, but the depth of depicted detail means I'll probably never know -- much less be able to master -- all of it, and the huge breadth of scenarios for each of them means I could face new challenges and narratives all the time.  Combine those features with the infinite unpredictability of human opponents, and it becomes much easier to see how some people gravitate to playing only one game.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:00 AM, Perky_Goth said:

While true, he also has a forum where he replied somewhat recently he doesn't know why he doesn't get invited anymore.

On the other-other hand, the 3MA episodes have been much fewer and farther between for a while now. I blame Rob's responsibilities at Vice

Enjoyed the show and the discussion of older games.  FWIW, like the original Combat Mission games, all the old SSG Warlords games (Warlords, Warlords II and Warlords III) are now available at GOG, no need to search for abandonware and fixes to get the old exe's running on modern operating systems.

I have been listening to 3MA since the first episodes (can I get anyone a coffee?). I don't listen to it as much as I used to - I think because of the issue Troy raised that there are so many games coming out now. If the show is about a game I am not interested in then I'll skip it. But what I have always appreciated about what Troy and then Rob have done in hosting is to put out a quality product, month after month, year after year. No messing about, no 'banter' about long running in-jokes, just getting down to brass tacks and discussing the topic. It really is appreciated and looking forward to the next 500 shows.