Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Psychonauts in mags

I think some the magazines Tim mentions aren't around in 'old Blighty' (the UK). I had a look for XBOX Nation in Smiths yesterday and it was nowhere to be found. So I'd definitely be interested in the articles, especially the 'sexy' one about Double Fine from XBN.

Here's the Xbox Nation scans. I just asked a friend of mine if he has the December CGW with the Psychonauts article and he said that he does, so I should be getting it from him in a day or two.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Hats off to Andy for the scans. Actually, I've had these for a while now, but I wasn't sure if I should post them or not. Sorry, guys.

Total radicalania. Post any Psychonauts magazine scans you can get - not doing so is a cardinal sin for sure. Pity there's no new screenshots in there though.

That XBox Nation article is possibly my favorite game preview of all time, from a "well structured, well written, inventive" standpoint and also because it so successfully champions Psychonauts and semi-independent game development without editorializing.

"Like Schafer himself, Psychonauts is deeply goofy, with shreds of genuine emotion squeezed between the gags"

This guy gets it. He hits a million nails on a million heads in this article.

Also,

Its like that guy who's banging his head against the wall, and it's like, 'Why are you banging your head against the wall??' ''Cause it feels so good when you stop." Adventure games are a little bit like that.

Holy crap! "i so very much enjoyed reading that

" - Marek Bronstring.

This was the most interesting thing from the PSM article:

"While at lucas Arts Schafer first presented them with a design document detailing 6 games he wanted to make. The first was full throttle, the second was grim fandango, and the third was psychonauts...three more to go."

I didn't know about that.

He's said for some time that the idea was brewing in his head for a long time, but I'd never heard that. That would be pretty crazy.

Schafer's definition of art is verbatim my definition that I have shared with all y'all on numerous occasions... maybe.

Every winter, when the heavy rains start, the mice flood into houses like mothers flocking to a grave. Even as I speak, they're gliding along the shadows where the wall meets the floor. I don't think they can see me, because they don't seem to be very afraid. Or maybe they've figured out I'm too lazy to get up and throw something at them, or buy mousetraps, or reset the mousetraps I already have. Every few weeks, Mom will start to freak out and will stuff poison into all of the crevices in the house, and then there'll be a weird smell that lingers around the hallways, like burning electrical sockets, only it's not. You try not to breath around these smells, because you feel like you're inhaling mouse brains. And when the smell is really bad, you can taste it. You can taste the rotting mouse brain on the back of your tongue, like a coating of hot, sour, pungent rotten milk. And you try to scrape off the coating of mouse brains by scraping your tongue along your front teeth, and you realize how much crap your tongue has on it on a day to day basis, and you wonder if maybe that's what you're tasting instead.

So, yeah. I share that pain. Also, that's a nice picture of Tim on the third page.

Holy crap! "i so very much enjoyed reading that [ quote]" - Marek Bronstring.

Hey isn't that the guy who founded AdventureGamers.com?!?

Hey isn't that the guy who founded AdventureGamers.com?!?

No way, dude. A dog founded Adventure Gamers. What whas his name again? Uh... Lassi? Or something. :erm:

--Erwin

are in english game magazines pictures and text are always that seperated? i mean the xbox nation pages 1, 2 and 3 are mostly pictures and 4 is almost just text. strange structure...unfamiliar for me. excellent article, anyway.

Here's the Xbox Nation scans.

Thank you for posting the scans. It’s most excellent of you to do so.

Why would they leave the sexiest page off of the official site? Surely all the badasses would have appreciated the Kiss picture in the back. As well as the all the sexiness, of course.

This was the most interesting thing from the PSM article:

"While at lucas Arts Schafer first presented them with a design document detailing 6 games he wanted to make. The first was full throttle, the second was grim fandango, and the third was psychonauts...three more to go."

I didn't know about that.

They shall be known as The Schafer Six.

I have the December CGW in digital format. It uses Zinio Reader, which is an enhanced PDF format. If anybody would like a copy, PM me your email address; it allows me to email copies to people, and as far as I know, there's no limit to how many I can send out. In the meantime, you can download the reader here.

I also have the hard copy at home; I'll try to get the article scanned and posted tonight (7-8 hours from now). It's one page, mostly text; the only picture is a character model of Raz. Not much we haven't already read/heard, but it's a nice article anyway, introducing the game to the PC crowd. Here's a taste:

As for the dearth of creativity in the industry, Schafer remains hopeful: "That could fix itself. Just in the same way that independent films exploded--that was a reaction to something, it wasn't like everything was great in the world of Hollywood movies and that's why independent films came along. Independent films came along because people wanted an alternative to the things they were seeing."