Sign in to follow this  
atte

[Dev Log] Farewell, Video Games

I started with fake NES games and Thumbs memes in Introduction to Video Games, and now 9 jams later I'll celebrate once more those precious things (this will be a one multi level game, not a mini game collection).

I started this a couple of days before the official start, putting the basic stuff in place. Even though the idea was to make a really simple and traditional action platformer, I pretty quickly veered off and ended up making this somewhat peculiar power up/collectible system: You can use the items as projectiles or try to collect three of the same for a health(fruits) or invincibility(treasure) boost.

Aaand there's a Horse Bag for bouncing on enemies/ double jumping/ floating on water!

fwvg.gif.3ddfa6a2048b3a679bac59a1a8e6be6a.gif

That looks fun! Love the interface. and the collect three mechanic is a really cool and unique idea!

Some early art stuff. Beginning of the game's first area (there's probably just two themes, city and then some temple/ruins later). And a collection of the evil wizard's various minions.

City1_1.thumb.png.1772fbf3670e1b3500368b2083f01973.pngcreatureComp.png.1624c0d576d6a99b4599ebcba3febcc4.png

Thanks everyone!

On 16.1.2020 at 11:20 AM, sergiocornaga said:

This looks incredible, I love the bizarre mechanics you've come up with.

I clearly remember seeing you in my WJ1 devlog, makes me feel strangely nostalgic :lol:

I now have a clear(ish) plan of the whole thing I'd like to put together. Let's see how well I'm able to execute this stuff then. Here's an overview of all the areas.

fwtvg_overview.thumb.png.41da549c9a570cf98ec0c3587be78f6c.png

...Yes those are pretty on the nose Mega Man and Mario references :getmecoat

4 hours ago, atte said:

...Yes those are pretty on the nose Mega Man and Mario references :getmecoat

Among others...^_^

The screens and sprites are all looking great!

fwvgSkulls.gif.143c0bcc8be53ef712c7cd5641f1f750.gif

Skull rodeo!

So much stuff I want to add it's a bit overwhelming but the good thing is I can add/remove stuff pretty freely in this project because there is no strictly fixed level/area progression and the player abilites stay always the same.