Derek

The Cutdown Episode 14: Horror

The Cutdown 14

Horror

Happy Halloween! In this episode we dive into horror trailers and talk to producer Amanda Pulver and editor Matthew Merenda about about the challenges of scaring people out of their seats and into theaters!

Trailers Discussed: Lights Out, It Follows, White Noise, Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch Project, Hereditary, Antlers, Alien, The Evil Dead, A Quiet Place, The Conjuring, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Strangers, It Comes at Night, Mother, It: Chapter 1

If you have questions or comments please send them to [email protected].

Great ep! Was fun to get an interview as well.

Also, I finally realised that the reason you have a bumper at the start of the show is to mimic YouTube trailers - very clever!

On 10/31/2019 at 5:02 AM, Ben X said:

Great ep! Was fun to get an interview as well.

Also, I finally realised that the reason you have a bumper at the start of the show is to mimic YouTube trailers - very clever!

Thanks! I rather like the interviews Ric does because then I get to just be a listener.

The bumper bit is definitely stolen from Idle Thumbs and also the podcast Design Life, but yeah it's totally the same philosophy as the thumbstopper bits ^_^

I found it hilarious that both the interviewees complained that now that they have to cut bumpers for digital trailers, they don't like having to give away/spoil stuff coming later in the trailer. I hate trailers because they give away/spoil stuff in moves, so I avoid watching them whenever I can and I wish they didn't exist. I would've thought trailer editors don't care about that sort of thing, because if they did they'd hate trailers as much as I do, but it turns out somehow they only dislike it when it spoils the trailer, but they don't mind when it spoils the movie...?

Hahaha, being a trailer editor can be a very conflicting experience. We know what it takes to get people interested in something, but we are also consumers of the media we make trailers for, so we'll also find ourselves sometimes getting spoiled by trailers! 

I will say that I've never met a trailer editor who didn't have any misgivings about showing things which might be considered spoilery, but it's ultimately not always up to the editor or creative director because especially with movie trailers there are so many people involved in the process.