Sign in to follow this  
Derek

The Cutdown Episode 12: Teaser Trailers

The Cutdown 12

Teaser Trailers

In this episode we discuss what we think makes an effective teaser trailer, and how they differ from full trailers which reveal more of the story. We also talk about a LOT of our favorite teasers and how they successfully tease the audience using entirely different philosophies and editing techniques. We also touch on the teasers for Tenet and Birds of Prey which the studios released exclusively in theaters, and the new Jurassic World short film which acts as a teaser trailer itself.

Trailers Discussed: Tenet, Birds of Prey, Battle at Big Rock (Jurassic World Short), Alien, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Godzilla (1998) Museum, Godzilla (1998) - Fishing, Terminator 2, Spider-Man, Lord of the Rings BTS teaser, Lord of the Rings Teaser, Cloverfield, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Monsters Inc., Monsters Inc Charades, The Incredibles, Battleship, Inception,   Layer Cake, Back to the Future, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Battle: Los Angeles, Toys, Transformers, The Addams Family, Where the Wild Things Are, The Exorcist, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Rebel Assault II, Dead Island.

If you have questions or comments please send them to [email protected].

Another great episode, Ric and Derek.

So,  at the risk of personal embarrassment I'm gonna be the child who sees the naked Emperor and asks where his clothes are...

What the heck is that Tenet trailer about?!?!? I have no flippin' idea if I should be excited or not. I'm left just scratching my head! :lol:

Well, it's only a teaser trailer. It's a Christopher Nolan movie that seems to have lots of atmosphere and tension and maybe some narrative timeline tricks. Up to you whether you're excited by that or not!

(If you're confused by it having Russian text, I believe that's because this teaser was only played in cinemas and they've been taking down online versions so it's hard to find one in English.)

I can't immediately think of any favourite teaser trailers that haven't already been mentioned, but I always thought that if this one cut off at the 1 min mark it would have been great:

Oooh yeah, that Face/Off teaser is a really good one!

I have no idea what Tenet is about, though I just saw the teaser in theaters again recently, and the copy essentially says "A new original protagonist from Christopher Nolan." We'll have to wait and see for the next trailer to know more!