Sign in to follow this  
phill

[Released] Untitled Lifting Game

So for this jam, I had the idea for a mechanic where you need to use enemies as resources to continue to the next level. And because I'm a one-trick pony and can apparently only make games where you lift things, lifting and throwing things is going to be the central game play!

Here's what I have so far:

• Enemies shoot patterns of bullets at you, where the pattern is dependent on their level, and each enemy can be between level 1 and 5;
  • A receptacle in the map requires you to throw an enemy of a specific level to unlock the next receptacle and eventually the next map;
  • To upgrade enemies you dive at them to pick them up and throw them at each other. They upgrade based on the combined total of their levels.

That's about it! Thanks to help from everyone in the slack channel, I've got this rough demo going already:

Things left to do are the receptacle system, levels, menu, health/punishment mechanic, and some basic level design (probably using the same free models I used for WotB). Not sure if that will all come together but I'll see how I go!

Alrighty, just about done with as much as I'm going to be able to do on this before I go back to work, so here's some gameplay as it stands:

The idea is that you need to upgrade enemies to be the same level (colour) as the blocks in the corners of the level. Once you do, you can throw the enemies at the blocks to do some damage to them. I know that I'm using 'enemies' and 'blocks' as if they aren't all just blocks, but this is where I'm at. In the vid you can see some big brain plays of throwing enemies so that they change colour right before hitting the blocks.

All that's left is to fix up the UI, get the menu going, and maybe add some dumb skins to it to try and theme it towards something Idle Thumbs-related.

Finished! Thanks for Brandon in the chat for testing it out. As usual, ran out of time for menus and such, so had to do up some terrible art. On the plus side, I found a cool resource in the form of the British library creative commons image archives. Might use those for the next jam!

Sign in to follow this